Going in halves with another photographer on a photography studio for rent?

12 years 1 week ago #224740 by Nunya
I have the opportunity to go in halves on rent for a photography studio here locally. This was just brought to my attention yesterday and I'm putting some serious thought into it. I would like to be able to afford the studio on my own, but it's just to much risk.

I would like to know if anyone has experience with sharing a studio space with another photographer? Any problems that come up? I'm thinking we both would have to share our schedules to insure we don't book clients at the same time. I'm also wondering how it would work with the lighting equipment and props and such. We have spoke about investing into backdrops together, but lighting gear as you can imagine is much more costly. I think having a studio will open up new revenue ideas for me, but just concerned about the whole "sharing" of space.

I'm hoping to get some input from others. Would you do this, or do you think this is recipe for disaster and headache?

Don't look at me, I didn't do it :)
12 years 1 week ago #224743 by Darrell
Is this renting a studio for a few hours or a long term, if it is long term I would suggest each use it certain days of the week. Sounds like a great opportunity. I have a studio in my house and I use it a lot, not just with clients but lots of pratice sessions and creativity. Good Luck.... :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 1 week ago #224748 by Nunya
Good idea with the scheduling. Yes it's long term, to get the rate we have negotiated, we would need to sign a 2 year lease. Which is why I'm taking extra steps to get the opinion from others here. I think it's a great idea to expand my wedding and portrait business, but just wasn't 100% sold on sharing space with another photographer. I'm about 95%.

Don't look at me, I didn't do it :)
12 years 1 week ago #224755 by effron
I had the experience many years ago, a small studio with on site processing, doing portrait, wedding and quick passport photos. It didn't work out, and I was probably to blame more than my partner. We went in short of cash and equipment, and lacked a paying clientele to boot. I was still in college at the time and that laid much responsibility on my friend, who never complained once. We gave it a shot but learned soon we jumped too soon.
Things might be different now, but I would suggest you cross all the T's and dot the I's, especially if you are actually going to sign a lease. These are tough times to start up a business, you will be competing with a lot of people that will have no overhead, so you will handicapped out of the hole.
Good luck with what you decide.....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024