Anyone shot in Haiti/ Dominican Republic?

11 years 11 months ago #231252 by NikaTraveler
I'm headed there soon for a 2 month permaculture course! :D Most of the time I will be near the town of Anse-a-pitre, Haiti, but I fly out of Santo Domingo, DR and so I'll have a little time there as well.

Any tips or advice? Things I need to go shoot? Photos to share from your trips?

Can't wait! :D

changetheverb.com ~Learning to Live Differently
11 years 11 months ago #231331 by Roy Wilson
Never been there, but heard there are some beautiful waterfalls there.

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #231393 by Vahrenkamp
Just bring what you need. Trips like that I don't go bringing all my gear, I want to keep things manageable and easy to watch over. Have a good time on your trip.

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #231504 by Conner
Oh man, I just did a Google search of tourist things to see there, and the nature and wildlife to see there is stunning. I hope to see some photos from you.

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #231653 by Crammer
What organization are you part of? I think that is great what you are doing. I would love to go, but have to many bills that would be in collections by the time I get back. :(

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #232083 by NikaTraveler
I'll be with Sadhana Forest Haiti. I'm a little confused as to their main aim because they do a lot but I think it started as a reforestation effort and has expanded from there.

Yes... I realize I'm super lucky that I have no debt. I'm trying to help free up my boyfriend from his now so he can travel with me and it's very frustrating. His student loans were at 23% interest rate for a time until he realized and had them change it. Criminal! It's just awful.

11 years 11 months ago #232086 by NikaTraveler

Conner wrote: Oh man, I just did a Google search of tourist things to see there, and the nature and wildlife to see there is stunning. I hope to see some photos from you.

Hah! You know what's funny, I haven't looked up any touristy stuff! LOL. I travel a lot but I'm actually not much of a "tourist". I like to go places for a long time and hang around, do local stuff. But now you've peaked my interest.

11 years 11 months ago #232087 by NikaTraveler

Vahrenkamp wrote: Just bring what you need. Trips like that I don't go bringing all my gear, I want to keep things manageable and easy to watch over. Have a good time on your trip.

I only have what I need. ;) I travel so much I reduced my gear long ago. Just my camera and 2 lenses, a GoPro camera and a Tablet. The bummer part is my travel insurance only covers up to $1000 (and possibly only $500 in gear) so if anything happens, I'm just kinda screwed but... ah well. I'll just have to be very aware and hope for the best.

Still debating on bringing my tripod or not. I have to bring a tent already so sticking a tripod in next to it shouldn't be a big deal, just ads some weight. I might need it in my 2 months there for sure.

11 years 11 months ago #232136 by Gene.Culley

NikaTraveler wrote:

Vahrenkamp wrote: Just bring what you need. Trips like that I don't go bringing all my gear, I want to keep things manageable and easy to watch over. Have a good time on your trip.

I only have what I need. ;) I travel so much I reduced my gear long ago. Just my camera and 2 lenses, a GoPro camera and a Tablet. The bummer part is my travel insurance only covers up to $1000 (and possibly only $500 in gear) so if anything happens, I'm just kinda screwed but... ah well. I'll just have to be very aware and hope for the best.

Still debating on bringing my tripod or not. I have to bring a tent already so sticking a tripod in next to it shouldn't be a big deal, just ads some weight. I might need it in my 2 months there for sure.

What do you use that GoPro camera for? Video?

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #232446 by NikaTraveler

Gene.Culley wrote:

NikaTraveler wrote:

What do you use that GoPro camera for? Video?

Well video and photos because I don't have a lens any wider than 28mm on my DSLR. It also has an underwater case (I have one for my DSLR too but it's a pain in the neck so I rarely use it unless I'm doing something serious). It's also nice if I wanna take some snapshots and don't wanna bring my DSLR because I don't have a point and shoot for that. Though there is no flash so it is limited in that respect and they all look fish eye.

You can see a couple photos I did with it here:

California Trip Photos

11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #232881 by Raphaelpics
I am in Haiti. Feel free to drop me an e-mail for any specific information or help you may need.

raphaelpics at yahoo dot com

Raphael.
PS: many shots from Haiti on my Zenfolio page listed in my signature below.
11 years 10 months ago #236796 by NikaTraveler

Raphaelpics wrote: I am in Haiti. Feel free to drop me an e-mail for any specific information or help you may need.

raphaelpics at yahoo dot com

Raphael.
PS: many shots from Haiti on my Zenfolio page listed in my signature below.

Wow those are great. Thanks. Im not anywhere near the earthquake damage. Im in a border town called Ansi-a-Pitre. Its been really interesting being here so far Im really enjoying it.

Got a 5 day weekend off of the work schedule and Im not sure what I want to do! Friends are going on amazing hikes through waterfalls and mountains but Im so exhausted every day from working in the heat that Id rather not go hiking for my whole vacation. Sounds amazing and I may regret it but... sigh. Well see.

11 years 10 months ago #237089 by EOS Man
I just watched yesterday a show with Anthony Bordain with Sean Penn over in Haiti. I think it's a really stand up thing what you all are doing over there :patriot:

Hope to see some of the photos

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #240856 by NikaTraveler
For some photos and an explanation of what I was doing (though I have left early now because I was not at all pleased with the organization I was staying with).

My Blog: Change the Verb

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024