Lost a lens today :(

11 years 11 months ago #236915 by Patty Ganahl
I took half a day off from work today to get out and take some photos. I had all my gear out of my bag in tall grass while I was trying to find a spare battery in my camera bag. My phone rang with a client on the other end and I started backing things up.

I just got home and I'm going through my gear for the 100th time and no 105mm f/2.8! :pinch: :pinch:

The kicker is that I've had on my office desk a labeling machine that I've been meaning to label all my gear with at least my phone number.

I'm depressed, I'm going to get a glass of wine.

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #236917 by john_m
Did you go back to look for it? This would be one if those times I call my agent at state farm.

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

11 years 11 months ago #236920 by Patty Ganahl
It's dark out right now and I was in a large field, it's seriously would be a needle in a hay stack.

I wish my gear was insured! :pinch: :pinch: :pinch:

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #236921 by Kid Prodigy
Sorry about your loss!

Canon EOS 7D|Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L USM |
Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 USM |
(2) Canon Speedlite 480EX II

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #236946 by effron
I'd be like a human combine in that field, size and darkness wouldn't matter. By your description it doesn't seem likely someone is going to stumble across it, forget the wine and the whine, and go get that lens......B)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #236948 by chasrich
Backtrack as soon as you can. If you feel the lens escaped in that field then go there first. Good luck - I hope you turn this around. :S

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
11 years 11 months ago #236956 by Baydream
Take a rake. And good luck.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #236967 by Screamin Scott
I feel your pain...:>(

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #236968 by john_m

Patty Ganahl wrote: It's dark out right now and I was in a large field, it's seriously would be a needle in a hay stack.

I wish my gear was insured! :pinch: :pinch: :pinch:[/quote
You don't have to carry a special policy most time. State Farm will cover my camera gear up to $xxx, now its up to me to get additional coverage if needed. If you still can't find it, I would make the call and see what they say.

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

11 years 11 months ago #236987 by Hoss
That is horrible! If you don't find it, I'm sorry to say that a mower will! Get out there and bring a search party with you. Buy the winner (person that finds it) dinner or something

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #237032 by John37
This hurts just thinking about it. I hope it all ends well for you. good mojo coming to ya! :thumbsup:

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
11 years 11 months ago #237056 by Joves
Well I would be back there myself and retracing my tracks from the day before. Which is not that hard in tall grass. When you had your bag on the ground then you mashed that grass down, as you did when you went in and out of the field. For any of my lenses I would do it. Sorry to hear you lost it, but I would be looking.

11 years 11 months ago #237097 by Ben Howen
Sorry for your loss!

Canon T3i, 18-55mm IS, 50mm, 55-250mm
11 years 11 months ago #237115 by McBeth Photography
I must say Patty that you are a very calm, cool and collected person, I really do admire that. I wish that I were more like you when in a crisis situation, you are handling it very well.

I hope that you recover the lens, these little hunks of glass have a tendency to become part of our family very quickly...

It is what it is.
11 years 11 months ago #237119 by Squibble

Joves wrote: Well I would be back there myself and retracing my tracks from the day before. Which is not that hard in tall grass. When you had your bag on the ground then you mashed that grass down, as you did when you went in and out of the field. For any of my lenses I would do it. Sorry to hear you lost it, but I would be looking.

me too!

It's a dogs life, yeah right!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

Wedding photography trends come and go, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t exciting at the moment! This year’s top trends include old and new technologies and techniques to create lasting memories.

Jun 09, 2024

The Sony ZV-1 Mark II is a nice update to the ZV-1 and expands Sony’s lineup of cameras for vlogging and content creation. Is it the right camera for you, though? Let’s find out!

Jun 09, 2024

Having a solid client management system allows you to build a more sustainable business with a larger number of repeat clients. But how do you do that? Let’s find out!

Jun 05, 2024

Canyon photography is an interesting niche of landscape photography that has some distinct challenges like harsh light and shadows. But with the right preparation, you can capture epic shots!

Jun 04, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

The process is actually quite straightforward if you want to print from iPhone. But, if you need a little guidance, this guide is what you need! Dive in and learn how to print smartphone photos!

Jun 04, 2024

The Fuji X-T5 is a mid-range camera ideal for beginners who need a high-powered camera body to professionals looking for a solid second camera - and many uses in between!

Jun 03, 2024