Check out these bad portraits taken by photographer at Olympics

11 years 11 months ago #237925 by Rich Beaumont

Life's to short, SMILE!
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #237980 by effron
There are pretty bad, but the comments following the article are entertaining........:)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #237986 by Stealthy Ninja
Looks like he forgot the photoshop. Oops.
11 years 11 months ago #237998 by MajorMagee
Oh, come on, he's just being artistic. It's allowed because he's a professional, it says so on Craigslist... :toocrazy:

11 years 11 months ago #238002 by Tamgerine
I'm almost positive this is some art stunt or hoax to build publicity, I'm just waiting for the announcement.
11 years 11 months ago #238022 by Silver Fox

Tamgerine wrote: I'm almost positive this is some art stunt or hoax to build publicity, I'm just waiting for the announcement.

Considering the importance of the Olympics and just how obviously bad these photos are, I'm inclined to agree with you.

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #238039 by Tamgerine

Silver Fox wrote:

Tamgerine wrote: I'm almost positive this is some art stunt or hoax to build publicity, I'm just waiting for the announcement.

Considering the importance of the Olympics and just how obviously bad these photos are, I'm inclined to agree with you.

I was outraged for a few seconds, and then I considered just how many levels of quality control go into the use of the images and brand of the olympic team. NO WAY every single one of those levels failed all at once. At some point along the line someone would have said, "Hey guys. These suck." Unless it was entirely on purpose.
11 years 11 months ago #238051 by garyrhook
Presuming one gets paid for this sort of work, where do I sign up for a gig like that? ;)

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #238057 by effron

Silver Fox wrote:

Could be, but I must disagree on the "importance". The Olympics are nothing more than a view of people playing games most of us NEVER played ourselves. Plus, way too political....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #238128 by Joves

effron wrote:

Silver Fox wrote:

Could be, but I must disagree on the "importance". The Olympics are nothing more than a view of people playing games most of us NEVER played ourselves. Plus, way too political....;)

:agree: x2
That and the rampant commercialization of the games. Like I said on Nikon Cafe I have not watched the Olympics since Carter pulled his we are not going BS because of the Soviet/Afghanistan invasion. Then the following games the Soviets did not come to LA. But what is worst about the Olympics is they are professional athletes which also started with sponsorships in the 70s. Since then it has become a commercial extravaganza.
As I also stated I would have had the athletes draped in an American flag with every sponsors logo plastered on it and a Carnival Side Show Barker and some cheerleaders in red white and blue. I like his photos he is showing what a joke the whole mess has become.

11 years 11 months ago #238147 by Janos
I see your point about the photographer illustrating what mess the Olympics has become, but what about the photos that don't have the red, white & blue and are just bad photos?

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #238181 by Stealthy Ninja

Joves wrote:

effron wrote:

Silver Fox wrote:

:agree: x2
That and the rampant commercialization of the games. Like I said on Nikon Cafe I have not watched the Olympics since Carter pulled his we are not going BS because of the Soviet/Afghanistan invasion. Then the following games the Soviets did not come to LA. But what is worst about the Olympics is they are professional athletes which also started with sponsorships in the 70s. Since then it has become a commercial extravaganza.
As I also stated I would have had the athletes draped in an American flag with every sponsors logo plastered on it and a Carnival Side Show Barker and some cheerleaders in red white and blue. I like his photos he is showing what a joke the whole mess has become.

Lol do you sit on your front porch shaking your cane at whippersnappers who pass by?

The Olympics are not that commercial (well outside the USA they aren't at least). Sure there's some sponsorship, but if athletes didn't have that they'd all have office jobs and only compete on the weekends or when they could get time off. If they had a particularly nasty boss, they might not even have time off to go to the olympics. Then of course the ones who do not have such a great a job wouldn't be able to afford a plane ticket to get there, so bad luck to them.

If you don't like the circus aspect, skip the opening ceremony. ;)

Then again, maybe it's way different in the USA, I dunno. Where I come from athletes do it as a job and occasionally appear on a cereal commercial or something. They're respected by the community for their hard earned skills and the fact that a country of about 20 million can produce athletes that beat much more populace and sporting rich countries (like the USA). Which is why I'll say again, I don't know what it's like in the USA. It does seem that sports in general in the USA is more highly sponsored and has a lot more dazzle dazzle (cheerleaders and such). In Australia sports is about sports and we're really proud of our achievements. In Hong Kong we're happy if someone actually gets to go. Funding for sports is a struggle in Hong Kong.
11 years 11 months ago #238235 by Lindsey
:agree: with the Ninja on this one

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #238303 by Henry Peach
He's an action shooter and paparazzi. Did anyone really expect normal portraits? This guy wants to be the Terry Richardson of Eastern Europe. ;)

The Reuters photos are more typical of what the masses expect in press portraits.
11 years 11 months ago #238319 by Stealthy Ninja

Henry Peach wrote: He's an action shooter and paparazzi. Did anyone really expect normal portraits? This guy wants to be the Terry Richardson of Eastern Europe. ;)

The Reuters photos are more typical of what the masses expect in press portraits.

You mean "paparazzo".

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

Wedding photography trends come and go, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t exciting at the moment! This year’s top trends include old and new technologies and techniques to create lasting memories.

Jun 09, 2024

The Sony ZV-1 Mark II is a nice update to the ZV-1 and expands Sony’s lineup of cameras for vlogging and content creation. Is it the right camera for you, though? Let’s find out!

Jun 09, 2024

Having a solid client management system allows you to build a more sustainable business with a larger number of repeat clients. But how do you do that? Let’s find out!

Jun 05, 2024

Canyon photography is an interesting niche of landscape photography that has some distinct challenges like harsh light and shadows. But with the right preparation, you can capture epic shots!

Jun 04, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

The process is actually quite straightforward if you want to print from iPhone. But, if you need a little guidance, this guide is what you need! Dive in and learn how to print smartphone photos!

Jun 04, 2024

The Fuji X-T5 is a mid-range camera ideal for beginners who need a high-powered camera body to professionals looking for a solid second camera - and many uses in between!

Jun 03, 2024