Do you think you would have made the cut?

11 years 9 months ago #238900 by Wyrick Photography
When you think about how much easier photography has become over the years with the advancement in film to digital photography and physical darkroom to digital darkroom. Many photographers are heavily dependent on these features that technology has provided. Do you feel you would have been able to produce the same level of work that you do today back in the film days?

I for one just had a realization moment and thankful for what technology has brought us. As I was just reading some film history and honestly don't think I could have survived! Not trying to be funny, just saying photography and post processing has REALLY come a long way.

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #238921 by icepics
Guess it depends on what you learn or know, and what works best for you. I do a lot of film photography and learned B&W darkroom work and don't find it hard at all. I enjoy it and am heading in the direction of having my own darkroom at home (I'd been using a shared darkroom at a local university but the building's being renovated so I 'lost' my darkroom).

I found digital photography challenging at first, but I use mostly mechanical all-manual cameras and rarely have used auto film cameras, which most digital cameras are modeled after. Once I found a camera system that worked for me, things started to fall into place.

What I like about the technology are the options to easily go from film to digital, to scan photos, etc. I've been doing lumen prints or photograms, and got a couple of interesting images by scanning my originals done on smaller vintage photo paper and blowing them up from what I scanned. It seems like the technology gives us more choices.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #238940 by Rob pix4u2
Like Sharon I was raised on film and learned to make good images (Landscapes, Weddings,Sports, Portraits etc.) and use different types of film to achieve the desired results. I had my favorites from Agfa 25 speed to Fuji 8oo speed Pro Press film and Kodak print and slide film that provided me a good choice of color palette to create my images. I sometimes miss film for those reasons but love the instant feedback of digital imaging.
No more running to the lab, waiting days to see my results and the expense of the film and processing/printing. So yeah digital is much simpler and less expensive to deal with.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

11 years 9 months ago #238972 by SJM
I'm a product of the digital boom :woohoo:

Country guy living in the big Apple!
Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #238982 by Joves
Yes I did as well with film. Now I just process the shot with the camera as much as possible, like I did with film. I change settings like my picture controls to get the effect I want. It is like choosing a particular film for what you are shooting in the old days, only now you can do that in the menu. The game is the same, only the way it is played is different.

11 years 9 months ago #238990 by KCook

Do you feel you would have been able to produce the same level of work that you do today back in the film days?

I was not able to produce the same level of work with film as I can now with digital. However, that doesn't matter, as nobody else matched the digital level either. What really dismays me about this digital era is the worship of premium gear. If your lens doesn't have a huge price tag, then your work today must automatically be sub-standard. Gear lust has always been with us, from the very start. But now it's gone completely nutz.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 9 months ago #239004 by aldyn
Well, I think that film photographers can easily become digital photographers (if they so desire); however I wouldn't say the reverse is true. Personally, I don't think I've got the patience to excel at film photography. I love the immediate feedback when I'm shooting to figure out if things are going right or wrong.

11 years 9 months ago #239079 by John Ledder
I remember the film days, I'm going to be happy sticking with digital.

Family, Fishing, Fotography :)
Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #239115 by Henry Peach
I think the technology that changed photography the most is still roll film and drop-off processing and printing. That happened in 1888. Before that being a photographer was technically very complicated. After that it's been pretty easy on the technical side. I think that's great, because it leaves us that energy to use on coming up with compelling ideas and intriguing subject matter. Unfortunately it turns out that that's the hardest part of photography, and all the fancy technology doesn't help much there. :)

Print film is the easiest, IMO. Exposure fundamentals are the same as digital, but print film has a huge exposure latitude. Digital and slides require more accuracy. I think anyone who can operate in manual with digital could handle film just fine. Slide shooters will do good with digital. The biggest problem is for print film shooters who have been unaware for years that their exposure is often off a stop or so. Digital and slides will reveal this. I don't mention working in the darkroom because 99%+ of film photographers ever didn't spend significant time in a darkroom. A greater percentage of digital photographers are doing their own processing than film photographers.
11 years 9 months ago #239247 by Gammill

KCook wrote:

Do you feel you would have been able to produce the same level of work that you do today back in the film days?

I was not able to produce the same level of work with film as I can now with digital. However, that doesn't matter, as nobody else matched the digital level either. What really dismays me about this digital era is the worship of premium gear. If your lens doesn't have a huge price tag, then your work today must automatically be sub-standard. Gear lust has always been with us, from the very start. But now it's gone completely nutz.

Kelly Cook

:agree: same here

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #239321 by Henry Peach

KCook wrote: If your lens doesn't have a huge price tag, then your work today must automatically be sub-standard.

Use this as a flag to indicate people not worth dealing with. No one worth listening to believes this is true.
11 years 9 months ago #239325 by KCook

Henry Peach wrote:

KCook wrote: If your lens doesn't have a huge price tag, then your work today must automatically be sub-standard.

Use this as a flag to indicate people not worth dealing with. No one worth listening to believes this is true.

I wish it was so simple :unsure:

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...ve-and-better-lenses

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 9 months ago #239346 by Joves

KCook wrote:

Henry Peach wrote:

I wish it was so simple :unsure:

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...ve-and-better-lenses

Kelly

Yeah I always love that. I left my response to it as well. You as an ex-optics man know that photographic optics on either end of the scale are not as precise as astronomical optics at any level. They are good but not even at the level that the newer sensors will be requiring. Just look at Pentax and the 645D, even their older lenses that were considered top end degraded the images that the sensor was capable of, so they were force to make even higher quality lenses optimized for the sensor, that are quite expensive I might add. Even the top end lenses are not utilizing the full resolution of the newest technology.

11 years 9 months ago #239349 by KCook
Fair point. The Mp race for little compacts got wayyy out of hand. They should have called that one back at 8Mp. But for DSLR, especially full frame, there will be no limits. And the lens quality to take full advantage of the future mega-Mp DSLR will be tight. The FF crowd can say goodbye to zooms and to UWA, if they haven't already. My main reason for staying with a crop body was access to affordable UWA lenses.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 9 months ago #239450 by Studio Queen
There are pro's and con's to just about everything, I for one and thrilled for digital :P

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024