Aggressively bid on job, think I got it and realized theres more work than expected

11 years 9 months ago #242379 by James L
With out getting into to many details as that would give the job away. I was asked to bid on a rather large photography job, I want the work so I was aggressive on the bid for the job. I didn't give my services away, I just gave a little more discount than I normally would. Long story short, there was a gray area in the job notice, I knew better but didn't ask to verify and honestly overlooked it. It just came up and I now realize I didn't calculate that time into my bid, so now my profit margin will be way less with the complete scope in mind.

It's almost not worth my time now. What would you do in this case? I believe (not 100%) that there will be more work from doing this job.

What would you do here?

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #242382 by Scotty
Deal with the consquence of my decision like a professional.

Just do it, get it done, then have a beer or four.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #242385 by James L
I think that's what I'm going to have to do, I would hate to get a ding on my reputation.

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #242391 by McBeth Photography

Scotty wrote: Deal with the consquence of my decision like a professional.

Just do it, get it done, then have a beer or four.

:agree: You will be remembered and liked, doing it cheerfully will get you referrals. In time, it might not seem like such a tough break after all.

It is what it is.
11 years 9 months ago #242395 by James L
True, and a lesson learned! :beerbang:

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #242397 by hghlndr6
:agree: All of the above.
11 years 9 months ago #242412 by Dave Burburry
Miller time after that shoot :beerbang:

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #242419 by Rob pix4u2
AS Barry said it may turn out to be a blessing in disguise and the better you do the job the sweeter it will be getting future work.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

11 years 9 months ago #242485 by Steven.Powell

Rob pix4u2 wrote: AS Barry said it may turn out to be a blessing in disguise and the better you do the job the sweeter it will be getting future work.

:agree: they will most likely recognize your efforts, so just make sure you do the best job you can.

11 years 9 months ago #242489 by Darrell
:agree: Also remember there is actual costs doing a job and than there is your time, time is always flexible, I don't worry about investing extra time especially if it may lead to more chances in the future. Sometimes I just tell myself I would rather do photography than be home watching TV. It usually balances out in the long run.....Your still getting the same money you quoted, so what if the hourly rate is down a bit...

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #242515 by Stealthy Ninja
WHINE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT IT FOR HOURS AND THEN HAVE A TEMPER TANTRUM!

That's what a REAL man would do.

Seriously though, these things happen sometimes, you have to just put up with it unfortunately. Happened to me many times, especially with video projects. I quote an amount I think is fair, then find out i have to spend way more time than I initially thought. Oh well, I said I'd do it and I have to do it now.

At least you're getting paid. ;) Not long ago my business partner signed us up for a job with the promise of more work (which = free... quite common in photography with models... it's a model agency, but not so common in the video world where time = money). Turns out I had a heap of work to do and he had just 1/2 days work to do. :o

Jokes on him, this weekend I have a job where I work one day and get paid a whole bunch of cash... from that same client we did free work for. His reward for this work $0 (because he's not in HK at the moment). AHHHH AHHAHAHAAHAHA AHHAHAHA etc.
11 years 9 months ago #242549 by Joves
Well it is a part of how business goes. We do not always make as much profit as we think we will on every job. What the company I worked for lost in profit margin was enormous at times. Sometimes especially if you are in a competitive market and area you sometimes have to shoot lower.

11 years 9 months ago #242673 by Stealthy Ninja
Yeh I agree with Joves.

Recently we had a job (if everything goes according to plan and the customer doesn't whine about stuff) where we did about 1 hours photography for $1250USD worth of pay. Other times we/I work for days on end for almost nothing.

Sometimes it almost feels like you're stealing because you make so much for what seems like so little.

Other times it feels like you're being totally ripped off.
11 years 9 months ago #242734 by Camera Diva
Just keep your eye on the prize. If you feel there is more business to be gained from this larger deal, than get in there and do the best job you can at the current understanding, impress them, show good follow up and over deliver.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024