Are filters even worth buying?

13 years 3 months ago #24324 by Street Shark
I was just looking at some of the video tutorials on here and just amazed at what you can do with Photoshop and other photo editing programs. It would seem that filters you screw onto your camera are yesterdays tools with all the filters built into Photoshop

So are filters a not so in tool today? Post your opinion on this topic.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #24327 by Scotty
Photoshop can't replicate the effects of a polarizer. It also can't recover blown out details. It can't slow down your shutter speed when trying to do landscapes.

Filters are absolutely necessary.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #24330 by Karl Wertanen

Scotty wrote: Photoshop can't replicate the effects of a polarizer. It also can't recover blown out details. It can't slow down your shutter speed when trying to do landscapes.

Filters are absolutely necessary.

:agree: Do it right the 1st time. It's also more rewarding that way.
13 years 3 months ago #24331 by Street Shark
So would you say some filters are obsolete?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #24336 by Karl Wertanen

Street Shark wrote: So would you say some filters are obsolete?

lol, i'd say some are extremely outdated. I cant believe some of the filters that brands like Cokin and others still sell. They sell filters that (when applied) makes your photos look straight out of the 70's lol.. :rofl: like your looking through those massive pinkish rose colored sunglasses. :slapface: Many cheap looking effects filters that just take any credibility at all away from the photo and the photographer lol :rofl: :sick:
13 years 3 months ago #24343 by Scotty

Karl Wertanen wrote:

lol, i'd say some are extremely outdated. I cant believe some of the filters that brands like Cokin and others still sell. They sell filters that (when applied) makes your photos look straight out of the 70's lol.. :rofl: like your looking through those massive pinkish rose colored sunglasses. :slapface: Many cheap looking effects filters that just take any credibility at all away from the photo and the photographer lol :rofl: :sick:

Like people that buy Holga cameras. Cult following.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #24351 by Street Shark
Well I guess it just shows there is a market for just about anything then :whistle:

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #24352 by Scotty

Street Shark wrote: Well I guess it just shows there is a market for just about anything then :whistle:

lol welcome to the internet. :banana:

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #24353 by Karl Wertanen

Scotty wrote:

Karl Wertanen wrote:

Like people that buy Holga cameras. Cult following.

Oh yea, It's already started
13 years 3 months ago #24355 by Karl Wertanen

Street Shark wrote: Well I guess it just shows there is a market for just about anything then :whistle:

I would normaly say yes but all the ones i used to see on my local camera shops shelves (before they went out of business) were literaly from the 70's and still on the shelves :rofl: The print on their wrapping was old and faded... Been on the shelves for decades.
13 years 3 months ago #24356 by Scotty

Karl Wertanen wrote:

I would normaly say yes but all the ones i used to see on my local camera shops shelves (before they went out of business) were literaly from the 70's and still on the shelves :rofl: The print on their wrapping was old and faded... Been on the shelves for decades.

Adray's?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #24357 by Karl Wertanen

Scotty wrote:

Karl Wertanen wrote:

Adray's?

Feldmans Camera in Wyandotte. Went out of business about 7-8 years ago and they finally knocked the building down a year or 2 ago. Was on the corner of Oak and 3rd right in front of Midwest Camera Repair.... The north west corner. Great people ran the place, great darkroom prints, and alot of used and new cameras/lenses and other related stuff. Ma and Pa shops are the best.
13 years 3 months ago #24358 by Baydream
Useful filters: Polarizing AND neutral density, including graduated ND. Add to that cross-hatch (starburst) and I think you have hit the limit - unless you are shooting with film, then maybe.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #24361 by studioaphoto
I still use filters. Mostly polarizers and ND. I still have a lot of the filters I've had since the 80's and love to use them. I like to do as little work in Photoshop as possible. Don't get me wrong, I love PS and use it, but there is something for me that makes me feel closer to my work when I can do most of the work with the camera and just touch it up in PS or the lab after...

Tanis
13 years 3 months ago #24370 by Karl Wertanen

studioaphoto wrote: I still use filters. Mostly polarizers and ND. I still have a lot of the filters I've had since the 80's and love to use them. I like to do as little work in Photoshop as possible. Don't get me wrong, I love PS and use it, but there is something for me that makes me feel closer to my work when I can do most of the work with the camera and just touch it up in PS or the lab after...

So you are really saying you're into photography and not creative graphic design/art? :silly: :thumbsup:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024