Are you brand bias when recommending a camera to someone just getting started?

11 years 8 months ago #246479 by Garbo
Waiting in line at Starbucks this morning with my camera over my shoulder a guy commented on my camera and said he was looking to get into photography and which was a good camera for someone getting started. I've always suggested Nikon, because that is what I shoot with. But I know Canon makes some great cameras and is an excellent option. But I never recommend Canon. I could always blame it on what I familiar with. Either way, Nikon always get's the recommendation from me.

Will you recommend the same brand you shoot with, or will you identify there are other brands that are just as good?

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #246483 by KCook
Of course I have some bias toward my own brand (Canon). But I do consider other brands where they fit the goals (or personality) of the noob better. Different strokes for different folks.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 8 months ago #246494 by rmeyer7
I tell people that Canon and Nikon are both excellent and they can't go wrong with either one. If they asked about Sony or Olympus I'd say those are great too. Then I'd say, "Go to a camera shop where you can play with each one, see which one feels better in your hands and which menus and controls you like best."

If they ask, I tell them I picked Canon because I had photographer friends who shot Canon and that made it easier to learn from them and get their recommendations on things like new lenses. The only guy I knew who shot Nikon was kind of an arrogant tool...so I didn't want to try and learn from him. (That was just one guy, not a statement about Nikon shooters! :rofl: )

11 years 8 months ago #246497 by Designer
It is a natural human reaction to recommend the brand we own. We did the research, we paid the money, and we know the product. Why would we not be biased?

11 years 8 months ago #246501 by Jim Photo

Designer wrote: It is a natural human reaction to recommend the brand we own. We did the research, we paid the money, and we know the product. Why would we not be biased?

:agree: exactly

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #246505 by Joves
I tell them I shoot with Nikon but that they might look into what would best serve their budget, and what they might like for feel, and control.

11 years 8 months ago #246542 by neal1977
Nothing wrong with that, you speak from experience and what you know best.

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #246611 by Francis
I think most are going to talk and recommend what is comfortable to them, and that is generally going to be what the know the most.

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #246733 by Stealthy Ninja
Depends what that person wants.

If they want a high end camera, usually they don't need advice or already have a camera so I jut say stick with the brand you have.

At the low end I usually say Nikon if they're a photographer and canon if they want a video DSLR.
11 years 8 months ago #246734 by KCook
I usually say Canon if they are an artist, Nikon if they are a technician :duel:

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 8 months ago #246737 by manualmode
I shoot Nikon and will only shoot nikon for one simple and silly reason:

deleting an image on a nikon is a two pushes on 1 physical button
deleting an image on a canon is three pushes on three separate buttons

That's really the only major difference I found.. for someone who deletes alot.. those tedious button pushes add up!!

11 years 8 months ago #246755 by Stealthy Ninja

KCook wrote: I usually say Canon if they are an artist, Nikon if they are a technician :duel:

With Canon smearing details like they're wont to do, I think artists would appreciate the watercolor/paint effect it gives. Good advice. :P
11 years 8 months ago #246762 by Darrell
You can only talk about the brand you know, which is usually the brand you are using.

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
11 years 8 months ago #246764 by chasrich
I usually recommend a DSLR and then mention Canon, Nikon, Sony and Olympus as I feel these all offer some nice gear. I also point out to them that they should do some research and consider things like price, lenses, their current skill level and the levels they hope to achieve. :agree:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
11 years 8 months ago #246829 by Stealthy Ninja

chasrich wrote: I usually recommend a DSLR and then mention Canon, Nikon, Sony and Olympus as I feel these all offer some nice gear. I also point out to them that they should do some research and consider things like price, lenses, their current skill level and the levels they hope to achieve. :agree:

Personally I only say Canon or Nikon. If they're diehard Minolta shooters I might say Sony. Olympus for small cameras I suppose (micro 4/3). Panasonic make a good VIDEO DSLR in their GH2... not so great for stills.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024