How did you get started in photography?

11 years 8 months ago #247630 by Julie Staas
Did you fall into it, 2nd generation, went to school for photography? Now that I'm typing this I hope this isn't to cheesy of a question to ask. Then I could argue that I'm just trying to meet people here and this was a question I thought would do it. :P

For me you can say it fell into my lap, I had been shooting with a Canon compact camera for years. My father had picked up a D200 and realized that after a few months it wasn't for him and gave me the camera. I had the chance to trade up with a little cash to the D300 so I did it.

Country Girl out for a stroll
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #247669 by Frisco
I always had interest in photography :beerbang:

Nikon 18-55mm VR, Nikon 70-200mm VRII f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, SB-700 & SB-800
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #247702 by Justin
I've been putting around photography for a long time, always had a thang for it!

Very nice to meet you!
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #247739 by Joves
My family has always had a few photogs in it. My one aunt taught photography in colleges, my other shoots sailing races, and my grandfather had been at it since before the depression, he also shot 8mm movies as well. He gave me one of his old 120 cameras when I was nine, and I have been at it ever since.

11 years 8 months ago #247741 by Alex
4 years ago, leaving Vegas after a car show and realizing my point and shoot camera wasn't cutting it. So I bought my first DSLR camera - Nikon D90.

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #247755 by rmeyer7
My grandfather on my dad's side was a photographer. He had 4 kids and yet still decided to turn his extra bathroom into a darkroom...now that's dedication! :rofl:

My dad had a little bit of interest photography but was never really serious about it.

I got into it because I happened to get a job managing a photo lab and started to see what DSLRs were capable of...back when a 5 megapixel camera was impressive and expensive...

11 years 8 months ago #247855 by One Wish
Parents were into photography, so it "grew onto me"

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #247919 by Rob pix4u2
My father started me out with a 120 film camera and B&W film in 1965. He and my uncle Paul shot landscapes. I've grown with it over the years and have become a sports shooter.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
11 years 8 months ago #247991 by Vladimir
I've always loved photography, plus most of my family mess around with cameras too.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024