Sorting through photos after the event is the worse!

11 years 7 months ago #253393 by Studio Queen
I've shot a couple weddings last weekend and had a corporate event last night that I shoot as well. I have nearly 4,000 photos I need to sort out. Ehhhhhhh I would really be curious how much time others are soaking into sorting out photos? What sort of tools are you using to speed up the flow of things?

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #253432 by Rob pix4u2
I routinely shoot 900-1100 frames per game and on a busy week that works out to about 4000 shots to edit.. I just slog through each one and save the keepers. It generally takes 4 hours per game so about 16 hours for 4000. It becomes a full time job just to do the editing then I have to write up a game article to go with the pix. yes it is labor intensive but overall it is worth it in the end.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

11 years 7 months ago #253462 by Solstar
I've found that Lightroom helps a lot since I can tag filter and categorize as I go, but it's still a lot of time.

11 years 7 months ago #253463 by Darrell
I put a pot of coffee on, some music or podcast, may take the laptop out on my deck, get comfortable and start sorting than editing. When i get tired I stop for another day. I may spend 8 hours working on an event that only lasted 2 or 3 hours.....

My first step is to rate each image than I only work with the 4&5 star rated pictures

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
11 years 7 months ago #253619 by Henry Peach
2 to 4 hours editing and processing per hour shooting.
11 years 7 months ago #253702 by Joves
Even when you do not shoot events, and fill up cards it is a pain to sort through them. I can easily spend a couple of hours doing it. But it is still better than doing film, and having to develop, and make contact sheets on a few rolls.

11 years 7 months ago #253704 by effron

Joves wrote: Even when you do not shoot events, and fill up cards it is a pain to sort through them. I can easily spend a couple of hours doing it. But it is still better than doing film, and having to develop, and make contact sheets on a few rolls.

This is the gospel. I shoot ten times more photos, maybe more than in the film days. I don't miss the working all night one bit. Or the smell....... :angry: :)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #253826 by Henry Peach

Sorting through photos after the event is the worse!

It can be tedious. Especially if you have a lot of similar photos. I found it inspired me to be more selective when shooting. Obviously I don't know the details, but 4000 photos for one event sounds a bit much to me. How many photos are you delivering? How many is the client going to use? 75 really good photos is better than 500 good photos most of the time. For me an all day event usually results in about 1000-1200 exposures, and that still takes me days to edit and process.
11 years 7 months ago #253829 by Stealthy Ninja
Only 4000. What were you doing slacking off so much?! :p
11 years 7 months ago #254250 by Studio Queen
So are most of you using Lightroom?

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #254257 by garyrhook
LR totally rocks.

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #254333 by Happy-pixel
Lightroom is your friend :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #254408 by Moe
Yeah I would rather be out behind the camera too, but it needs to be done. Lucky for us there is Lightroom!

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #254610 by Cathy Kadolph
Lightroom is such a great tool for this. I remember pre-lightroom days for me and organizing photos was a nightmare!

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once you grow up." Pablo Picasso
Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #254626 by BrandyMaeD
I find the sorting my least favorite part of photography. While looked at them the first time, I go ahead and delete the ones that I know I won't be using. That way, I can narrow them down from the start and not spend additional time messing with the ones, or oragnizing the ones, that I know I can't use. Organizing with Lightroom has come in handy for me too. I would suggest giving that a shot.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024