Selling your prints to art store on consignment

11 years 6 months ago #258526 by Office Guy
What would be a fair rate to be charged when selling a print in art gallery on consignment?

Photo Comments
11 years 6 months ago #258530 by Joves
Well it all depends on the market you are in. Most art galleries do not buy your work so they are consignment shops. You have to figure out what price will allow your work to sell, and for you to make money minus the galleries fee. Size has much to do with the price as well. For example you cannot realistically expect to get $500 from an 8x10 glossy. Also making popular prints Limited Editions would bring up your price. If you have photos that you are having to replace often, then the price is too low, if they just sit there then it is too high. So I would price high first, and see if they sell. You can drop the price incrementally till you hit the right spot. If you price too low then raising the price is more difficult.

11 years 6 months ago #258540 by Darrell
The last place I checked out charged 30%.

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
11 years 6 months ago #258551 by icepics
I think it can vary depending on if it's an artists' co-op, retail art gallery, etc. - and what size/type community it's in. I'd take into consideration what percentage of a sale the gallery gets, if there are any fees, how much it would cost to frame, ship, insure your photo etc. When I had something accepted into a juried exhibit I was familiar with the art center's gallery so knew the price range typically used there and priced mine accordingly.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #261640 by Julie Staas
Now do these consignment stores get buried with photographers dropping off photos for resale?

Country Girl out for a stroll
Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #261642 by icepics
I don't know that you could just drop it off, although you could go in and see what type photos/art they sell, how works are priced, etc. I'd find out about their procedures and policies - probably there will be paperwork whether it's submitted online or in person. Most places in my experience want to maintain a certain quality so I think they'd most likely want to see your photos/artwork before they'd accept it.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #261709 by Henry Peach
Where I live it ranges from 40% to 60% for an art gallery or any place that regularly sells art.
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #261710 by Henry Peach

Now do these consignment stores get buried with photographers dropping off photos for resale?

No. They usually select a small number of artists to represent. If they sell a variety of visual art they will probably only represent a few photographers. Exclusivity helps with sale value.
11 years 5 months ago #261730 by Tim Kelley
Now do you guys bring to consignment store already in frame? Or will you let them deal with that?

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #261737 by icepics
I think it all depends on what type of place it is, an artists' co-op, a private gallery, a gallery in a community art center, etc. I've submitted to a couple of places that gave an option to frame it yourself or pay for them to do it but those have been with juried exhibitions. Some have guidelines as to how they want it framed and may reserve the right to not display or accept it if it doesn't meet their requirements. I think it can depend on the type of art space it is and what their current exhibit is etc.,

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #261739 by Joves

Tim Kelley wrote: Now do you guys bring to consignment store already in frame? Or will you let them deal with that?

This I think depends on whether it is a gallery, or a consignment store. For a consignment yes I would deliver them framed, also I might deliver a portfolio book to place near the framed work so customers could look at more of my work, and possibly find something to their liking. Most consignment shops keep you to a very limited area so you need to maximize the use of it.Consignment shops get a fixed percentage for the sales, and some charge percentage, and fees. If they get a monthly fee then the percentage rate should be very low. If it is on percentage only then the rate will naturally be more. I avoid shops who charge a fee, and over 10% on what you sell because they will quickly eat up your money. Fact is I avoid any who charge for space at all, unless the fee is very cheap.
Now a gallery on the other hand may specify how they want your work delivered, they may say print only so they can choose the look they want for the gallery, and to show off your work. Or they may take your work framed, but tell you what is acceptable to them for the presentation. Some may even take it framed, change it themselves, and then bend you over in charges. One of the reasons why I have never liked galleries in general, I had one offer to put some of my work in during the late 70s early 80s of the punk scene I had shot, when I read their contract, I told them where to put it, by the time all was said and done, I would have made very little. So galleries I will never use, I also find the majority of the owners the type of people I want to hit because of their arrogance.

11 years 5 months ago #261768 by Henry Peach

Tim Kelley wrote: Now do you guys bring to consignment store already in frame? Or will you let them deal with that?

I don't know anything about the consignment stores you guys are talking about. The consignment stores around here are little more than cleaned up flea markets. There's not a lot of art being sold.

As for art galleries some are also in business as framing shops. When I've worked with those places they want to do the framing. When I've worked with art galleries that don't do framing I delivered the work ready to hang.
11 years 5 months ago #261776 by Camera Diva
We have some nice galleries around here that work on consignment. Mostly around the malls.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #261873 by Office Guy
Thank you all for the help, I'm going to check on this.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024