Tempted to get a Nikon D600, any reason not too?

11 years 5 months ago #260845 by Tarb1968
This will be 2nd body to my D300 for me. Any reasons why the D600 wouldn't be a good option to pick up? I want a full frame and didn't want to spend the bucks on the D700 or the D800 or higher. The D600 seems the best value from what I can see on reviews. I've not come across anyone that owns one yet. So on the fence. What are you views on the D600?

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #260876 by rmeyer7
As a Canon user, my opinion is that the D600 is everything I wish Canon had done with the 6D. For me, the features and price point would make it a worthy upgrade from an original 5D.

I don't have any experience with a D300, but just from comparing features I think it would make sense. It's an upgrade in a lot of ways -- full frame, more dynamic range, less noise with higher ISO, video capability, etc. Only thing that's a downgrade is the AF, it has fewer AF points overall (39 compared to 51) and naturally that leaves fewer cross-type AF points (9 instead of 15).

In fact, a lot of those comparisons even hold up against the D700, aside from the full frame difference. So to me the D600 sounds like a pretty great camera.

11 years 5 months ago #260911 by Joves

rmeyer7 wrote: I don't have any experience with a D300, but just from comparing features I think it would make sense. It's an upgrade in a lot of ways -- full frame, more dynamic range, less noise with higher ISO, video capability, etc. Only thing that's a downgrade is the AF, it has fewer AF points overall (39 compared to 51) and naturally that leaves fewer cross-type AF points (9 instead of 15)..

This for me is the major detraction is that there are fewer AF Points and they are clumped together in the center area. Which means you have to recompose on some shots, I do not do that, I used the AF Points where I need them. That and a plastic body is a turn off for me. I will try and save for a D800, over settling for a compromise.

11 years 5 months ago #260913 by Screamin Scott
There are a lot of "spotting" problems with this camera as well...If you get it, I'd wait until all the bugs get worked out...Personally though, I'd opt for the D700 myself...Seems like it's a FX upgrade for the P&S crowd what with scene modes & all

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #260984 by studiotoffa
What to do or not to do, I leave up to you, but my advice is this. Look at what you need for the type of photography you do. What's right for some maybe wrong some one else. If you just want a FX-sensor, then I would say that the D600 is a great deal. But if you need the large files that the D800 give, then I would say it's wasted to go for the D600.

I use the D800, but my main subject is landscape, and I shoot both micro stock and fine art, I personally feel I need the files that I get from the D800. It's cracking good camera, but it's not a general purpose camera, and both Scott Kelby and Moose Peterson also claims the same. The files that the D800 produces is going to consume a large, and let me repeat that, large amount of storagespace. And it's no use to get the camera if you don't intend to use the full force of the camera. It's like getting a Corvette Viper to only use it to drive to the supermarket and football pratice.

Don't be fooled by all the people who complain that the AF is clustered in the center or any of the other point that people comes with. If you need a general purpose camera, go for the D600, if not, get the D800 if you need the large files it produces.

Please visit me at Studio Toffa Photography www.studio-toffa.com
img\def

11 years 5 months ago #260987 by effron
If you don't have, or don't plan on getting quality full frame lenses, give it some serious thought..... :unsure:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024