Using a flash is causing my photos to be blurry

11 years 3 months ago #269817 by Lila Gelmann
I have a Nikon D7000 that I rarely use anything other than natural light. When I bought this camera I decided to pick up a SB700 flash too. I've had this flash for over a year now and just finally used it. When I did, my shots were blurry. I'm sure there must be something simple I'm over looking here. If it makes any difference I have the flash mounted on top of the camera.

I'm trying to avoid reading the manual, I did look on Nikon's site but didn't find anything that clearly answered my question.

I would appreciate if someone could point out what I'm doing wrong or if I have a flash (which would be out of warranty now :pinch: )that isn't working correctly?

Thanks

Lila

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #269818 by Shadowfixer1
Nothing a flash does will make a picture blurry. You can get ghosting if there is enough ambient light and the subject is moving. Post your EXIF for a blurry image and someone will be able to find the problem.
11 years 3 months ago #269819 by McBeth Photography

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Nothing a flash does will make a picture blurry. You can get ghosting if there is enough ambient light and the subject is moving. Post your EXIF for a blurry image and someone will be able to find the problem.

:agree:

It is what it is.
11 years 3 months ago #269823 by Lila Gelmann
I'll need to take some new ones as I didn't save any of these photos. That's what I thought, I thought the flash will freeze the action, so I thought either something was messed up with my flash, or I'm doing something stupidly wrong. Based on your answer I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong. :whistle:

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #269825 by Screamin Scott
Like Shadowfixer 1, I suspect that you are using too slow a shutter speed & thus you are getting some ambient light contributing to the exposure resulting in some "ghosting which you are interpreting as blurriness. Make sure you set your shutter at the sync speed (I believe 1/200th on your camera)...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #269827 by garyrhook

Lila Gelmann wrote: I'm trying to avoid reading the manual, I did look on Nikon's site but didn't find anything that clearly answered my question.

For what it's worth, asking for help when not desiring to put forth any effort to figure out a solution to one's own problem is, well, off-putting.

Using a flash is not the same as natural light. It takes work to learn how to be effective with one.

If you're in auto mode, it's likely the shutter speed is too slow. Since you don't give any details about usage, suggest you work in manual mode to fully control aperture and shutter speed. Yes, sync speed is 1/200 s on that model, but anything between 1/80 and 1/200 should suffice. Since you also don't indicate focal length, stick to the rule of max shutter speed = 1 / focal length.

Hm. Actually you didn't provide any details at all. Yeah. Post a problem photo. And set aside some time to practice.

Gary

www.grhookphoto.com
facebook.com/grhookphoto

Photo Comments
Attachments:
11 years 3 months ago #269830 by Lila Gelmann
You all are so helpful, I posted this and didn't think about settings or sample photos. I'll take some more tonight or this weekend and post here. :P

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #269839 by Rob pix4u2
I used my SB 700 this past weekend and no problems with blur

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
11 years 3 months ago #269858 by Stealthy Ninja
Here's the lowdown.

The flash/camera "thinks" differently depending on which mode you're in. If you're in any sort of auto mode (including aperture priority and shutter priority modes) the camera will assume you're using the flash as a fill light (just to add a little light to fill in shadows). It will then adjust the settings to the ambient light. So if the ambient light is too low, the shutter speed will be too low (maybe) and the result is a blurry picture.

The solution is using manual mode while indoors. This makes the camera assume that teh flash is the main source of light (not just a fill light). Set the camera up so that you have enough shutter speed and a wide enough aperture to be about 1-0.5 stops below ideal exposure (you'll have to adjust ISO too). Then use the flash (preferably bouncing off a large flat surface). This ill improve your interior shots greatly.

The reason why your car shots are ok is most likely there was enough ambient light so your camera set the shutter speed pretty high.
11 years 3 months ago #269868 by Rob pix4u2
Actually the under hood shots were done in pretty low light/lots of shadow. and my shutter speed slowed to 1/60th-1/80th hand held

Rob Huelsman Sr.

Attachments:
11 years 3 months ago #269869 by Lila Gelmann
I'm glad that I posted this question, but embarrassed at the same time for this being my first question on here. To find out it was user error! :unsure: :pinch: :whistle:

Is it too late to retract my question OR how about I say I was joking? That I REALLY new what I was doing? :rofl: Really thank you all, this has been a big help.

This is my first photography site I've joined too!

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #269878 by Rob pix4u2
:welcomeclan Don't worry we all started out somewhere and we all have made "user errors" before except maybenot the same one

Rob Huelsman Sr.

11 years 3 months ago #269886 by shelland

Lila Gelmann wrote: I thought the flash will freeze the action, so I thought either something was messed up with my flash, or I'm doing something stupidly wrong. Based on your answer I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong. :whistle:

I admit I haven't used my external flash much, and struggle mightily when I do.

But I think I've got this high level concept down -

The flash isn't going to freeze the action, the shutter speed freezes the action. The flash will allow faster shutter speeds that would be possible in those conditions without the flash.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I have that right.. But you still have to nail the settings (which is where I struggle when I throw on the flash). :)

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

11 years 3 months ago #269895 by Screamin Scott
The flash freezes the action. You can't use a shutter speed that is faster than your cameras flash sync speed ( except when using high speed sync, subject for another thread)...If you use too high a shutter speed, a portion of the frame will be black as the shutter will only be partially open when the flash fires. Modern flash units have extremely short flash duration times ..My ring flash duration is anywhere from 1/420th to 1/5000 th of a second , depending on the power level I select. So it is the flash that stops motion when it is used, not the shutter speed...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #269914 by shelland
I stand corrected. B)

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024