Professional photography now a thing of the past?

11 years 3 months ago #271144 by Flash Steven
I was reading an interesting blog post last week where another photographer had commented on the fact that more and more photographers are flooding the market with their new affordable DSLR cameras and claiming to be 'professional photographers'. This of course dilutes the meaning of the word as many of them are not pro's so the title no longer has the same value. Even for the legit pro's.

Does that make sense? What do you think about this?

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #271160 by Danny Carson
In the big picture of things, I don't think it's going to make much difference. A professional has a certain walk to them that people can pick up. The newbies can be spotted from a mile a way

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #271165 by John37
The influx of the craigslist pros may take business away from the pros.... But it certainly won't take the abilities of the pros away. I think it was said here in a similar thread, but creme always rises to the top! It's kind of amazing, at least in my area, to see the photo section on craigslist. There are thousands of ads for the newer cameras from private parties. It's as if you're reading thousands of buyer's remorse statements from people who were dreaming big at the thought of becoming a high class photographer based on the potentials of the new generation of DSLRs! :lol:

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
11 years 3 months ago #271169 by garyrhook
:agree: I know, right?

Gary

www.grhookphoto.com
facebook.com/grhookphoto

Photo Comments
Attachments:
11 years 3 months ago #271177 by Rob pix4u2
it's the quality of the work that counts- not the moniker that some folks bandy about. I agree with Scotty that the cream rises to the top and the craigslist folks aren't at the top so they are Pro in name only (PINO) and those whose work shines will always be the ones who are true professionals.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

11 years 3 months ago #271180 by effron
I actually agree with much of that. I see it all the time, nineteen year old college drop out buys a D40 and kit lens and goes "pro". It HAS been diluted, and this will continue as real jobs become more scarce....and the economy IS shrinking. This of course does not take anything away from the true fine photographers, but facts are facts. We have a supporting "Walmart" type customer base that demands "cheap pictures", and they will be satisfied. As mentioned above, there is also a tremendous failure rate in this field....... :) :(

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #271191 by MajorMagee
The real key to survival is for the Pro to realize that they're not really missing out on anything but bad business when the Craigslist shooter hooks up with the Walmart client. They're both doomed to fail from the start because everyone's expectations are all out of whack.

11 years 3 months ago #271648 by Augustin
:agree: :goodpost:

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #271655 by Stealthy Ninja
My nephew has just bought a Canon 6D with 24-105 with the hopes that one day he might be able to help me with my work...

Lets see what happens there. ;) Honestly if he sticks at it he could be good. He has some good ideas, but I'm drilling into him it's not an easy path and he does realise he has a lot to learn.
11 years 3 months ago #271662 by Lightpuller
I think the market has certainly become saturated with talentless camera sluts, but there will always the better ones that'll become mistresses.

11 years 3 months ago #271731 by Cathy Kadolph

effron wrote: I actually agree with much of that. I see it all the time, nineteen year old college drop out buys a D40 and kit lens and goes "pro". It HAS been diluted, and this will continue as real jobs become more scarce....and the economy IS shrinking. This of course does not take anything away from the true fine photographers, but facts are facts. We have a supporting "Walmart" type customer base that demands "cheap pictures", and they will be satisfied. As mentioned above, there is also a tremendous failure rate in this field....... :) :(

:agree: the solution is to make more main stream a 'Master Photographer' license. This will be what separates the pro's from the true invested master photographers.

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once you grow up." Pablo Picasso
Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #271794 by TonyB
There are more "pro" photographers popping up everyday. Photography is no different from any other profession. The ones at the top perform consistently, know their opposition, have a game plan, think on their feet, are willing to change & update skills but most of all know their trade & their gear inside out & backwards.
Not everyone can be a Federer, Nadal, Djokovic or Murray. There are however thousands if not millions of reasonable tennis players but only a few hundred that stand out & command/earn large fees.
Similarly with photographers. The difference being that second or third rate photographers can charge a fee that is not commensurate with their level of professionlism & usually not based on performance. In fact if they were tennis players they would not be allowed to compete before first proving themselves. I converse with many aspiring photographers who have about as much photographic & business knowledge as my dog.- She is a Greyhound beautiful mover but not the most intelligent of animals .
I am not a professional but have been in a previous life & have photographic qualifications & diplomas etc. I am also an accountant which for me is a more stable & lucrative profession & from where I see the lack of business accumen of many would be photographers who do not know how to charge out their services, what gear to purchase etc.. I doubt a mechanic would book in cars then ask what tools he should use .
Many photographers these days service the stock industry because it is relatively easy to do so. Some earn enough to support their hobby.
The good will usually survive & their best adverts are the not so good. Unfortunately many employing a photographer will never realise they received a sub standard service.

Life-be in it!
11 years 3 months ago #271815 by Stealthy Ninja

Cathy Kadolph wrote:

effron wrote: I actually agree with much of that. I see it all the time, nineteen year old college drop out buys a D40 and kit lens and goes "pro". It HAS been diluted, and this will continue as real jobs become more scarce....and the economy IS shrinking. This of course does not take anything away from the true fine photographers, but facts are facts. We have a supporting "Walmart" type customer base that demands "cheap pictures", and they will be satisfied. As mentioned above, there is also a tremendous failure rate in this field....... :) :(

:agree: the solution is to make more main stream a 'Master Photographer' license. This will be what separates the pro's from the true invested master photographers.

How would you test for the license? I mean some people know a lot of technical stuff, but their photos are so-so. Though if you go the other way and look at the quality of their photos... that's so subjective it's hilarious. I mean some people even like HDR.

:banana:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024