Marketing / Getting your name out there

11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #271457 by Leilanee
Today I put my 2 weeks in at work with no fallback (currently) but photography. Even just booking a few sessions in my downtime while I search for a new job would be really helpful for me financially, but I am HORRIBLE at marketing myself.
I've done contests in the past to get activity on my page, but last time they didn't work out all that well (and this has something to do with the fact that my client base is usually young girls who want prom photos; the majority of them have been irresponsible and horrible at keeping appointments :P ). To anyone who has a business still going: how do you get there name out there? I could probably be doing a lot better with what I've got if I could find a way to market myself to families, but I just don't know how.

What do I do? lol.

11 years 3 months ago #271463 by Jim Photo
Reach out to friends and family and ask 'who do you know'. Get referrals from them and grow your business :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #271472 by garyrhook

Leilanee wrote: (and this has something to do with the fact that my client base is usually young girls who want prom photos; the majority of them have been irresponsible and horrible at keeping appointments :P ). To anyone who has a business still going: how do you get there name out there?

I decided 6 months ago, after recognizing that there are a lot of "pros" charging for less than stellar work, to work towards finding paid work so that my hobby can fund itself. Having G.A.S. (gear acquisition syndrome) is a bad thing and I need a way to buy toys.

1) decided to do portrait work as a relatively easy entry point. I like working with people, enjoy kids and babies, and like going on location. I got bold and asked friends to be my guinea pigs while I learned to capture moments. That took some work and and lot of self-criticism.

2) figured out a style that reflects my view of the world, but is attractive to potential clients. Made that the centerpiece of my work; everything else (lighting, posing, etc) is built around that.

3) researched what portrait photography rates are. Figured out what my session fee and image costs are, and I don't apologize for them. I have a "friends & family" discount of 50%; I don't apologize for that. I give away freebies as a gift, but I am very up front about the value I place on my work, and that I want to provide my services as complimentary.

4) researched how to run a photography business. The first problem I read about is "I didn't get paid" or "client is doing this with images" or whatever. Define your service, write up a contract and present it to your customer before you ever start work. When you book an engagement, get a non-refundable deposit, and make it enough that the client has made a not insignificant investment in you. They'll follow through. Even if you have to get a check at the shoot, work does not begin until it's understood that you must have a deposit and a signed agreement and contract. My deposit is my session fee, which pays for my time at the shoot. If you had a deposit for you prom shoots, they wouldn't flake out on you; even if they did, you have the money to cover your time.

Other thoughts:

Use a website to showcase your portfolio, which is your best work (which clearly changes over time) and is targeted for your audience. To that end it's time for me to update mine with new images. Point to your website. Facebook/G+/etc are fine, but they're not portfolios. They're about awareness. If you can show good work, and get it noticed and shared, great. You want word about you to spread so that when people think of photography, they realize, "hey, I know someone that does good work!"

I'll stop there. Feel free to IM here or on FB.

Gary

www.grhookphoto.com
facebook.com/grhookphoto

Photo Comments
Attachments:
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #271480 by Leilanee
All very useful things, but all things I've been doing. I always give potential clients reference to my website, which has my portfolio and session rates based on the type of session they want, all clearly listed, and I'm really quite professional in my demeanor when it comes to signing for a job. I also have my own revised Model Release Form which I go through with every client when I meet them to set up a session, and that has usually kept out of those problems you mentioned, although I have seen clients take the facebook photos I post (before getting their own copies) and cropping out the watermark, which is annoying. I've also seen them applying their own dramatic, ugly photo filters to my already edited work (yuck).

But I seem to be doing everything that has been mentioned. I talk around and grab opportunities ("Oh hey, I see your friend just got engaged. Do they have a photographer?"), I pin up my business card in local places where it's allowed, I have my own well-established style and trademarks, and a few friends-of-friends clients who have worked with me who would likely be willing to put in a good word... but I still don't book often. At all.

Maybe my photography just sucks... :unsure:

I even make my own little envelopes for the discs! Hahahaha

11 years 3 months ago #271520 by Roy Wilson

Jim Photo wrote: Reach out to friends and family and ask 'who do you know'. Get referrals from them and grow your business :thumbsup:

:agree: best way to build a name for yourself

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #271522 by Roy Wilson

Leilanee wrote: All very useful things, but all things I've been doing. I always give potential clients reference to my website, which has my portfolio and session rates based on the type of session they want, all clearly listed, and I'm really quite professional in my demeanor when it comes to signing for a job. I also have my own revised Model Release Form which I go through with every client when I meet them to set up a session, and that has usually kept out of those problems you mentioned, although I have seen clients take the facebook photos I post (before getting their own copies) and cropping out the watermark, which is annoying. I've also seen them applying their own dramatic, ugly photo filters to my already edited work (yuck).

But I seem to be doing everything that has been mentioned. I talk around and grab opportunities ("Oh hey, I see your friend just got engaged. Do they have a photographer?"), I pin up my business card in local places where it's allowed, I have my own well-established style and trademarks, and a few friends-of-friends clients who have worked with me who would likely be willing to put in a good word... but I still don't book often. At all.

Maybe my photography just sucks... :unsure:

I even make my own little envelopes for the discs! Hahahaha

It just takes time, keep at it! :)

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #271531 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leilanee
11 years 3 months ago #271535 by Roy Wilson

effron wrote: Also, do some searches............
www.mcpactions.com/blog/2010/04/15/5-mar...s-for-photographers/

That page is worth book marking

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #271542 by garyrhook

Leilanee wrote: All very useful things, but all things I've been doing. I always give potential clients reference to my website, which has my portfolio and session rates based on the type of session they want, all clearly listed, and I'm really quite professional in my demeanor when it comes to signing for a job. I also have my own revised Model Release Form which I go through with every client when I meet them to set up a session, and that has usually kept out of those problems you mentioned, although I have seen clients take the facebook photos I post (before getting their own copies) and cropping out the watermark, which is annoying. I've also seen them applying their own dramatic, ugly photo filters to my already edited work (yuck).

I never post anything on FB until after it's been paid for. If I find a something that has been used prematurely or in appropriately, I send an email or IM politely pointing out the problem and asking them to take the photo down.

Unfortunately, it takes time and a lot of work to market yourself. That's why going pro is a challenge for everyone, and why you keep the day job until you're well established.

Gary

www.grhookphoto.com
facebook.com/grhookphoto

Photo Comments
Attachments:
11 years 3 months ago #271543 by garyrhook

Roy Wilson wrote: That page is worth book marking

:agree:

Gary

www.grhookphoto.com
facebook.com/grhookphoto

Photo Comments
Attachments:
11 years 3 months ago #271641 by Melissa Zui
Have you tried working out a performance based incentive plan for wedding vendors to promote you as a photographer?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024