What memory cards size you packing?

11 years 1 month ago #278135 by Travel Nut
Prices are coming down on the 64GB cards and tempting but just concerned about having that much data on one card. Anyone feel the same and stick with smaller card sizes?

11 years 1 month ago #278146 by effron
I'm still using 12 and 16 MP cameras. I carry twelve and eight gig cards for one, and sixteen and eight for the other. I don't think I've ever filled one to maximum capacity.... :unsure:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #278148 by Alex
I have a couple Sandisk 32GB and two 16GB cards that are with me

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #278195 by Darrell
I use 4,8 and 12, gig cards, I just feel the larger the card the more pictures you might lose if the card crashes, I guess the opposite is true to the more cards the more chance one will get damaged...

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
11 years 1 month ago #278373 by Joves
For me it is 2,4, and 8 gig cards. Since I do not shoot a great number of shots at one time it works for me. If I have a card that is running low on space I change it out before leaving.

11 years 1 month ago #278402 by Tuscan Muse
This is good info. I was just shopping for cards last night. My largest is a 32 and I was looking at the prices for 64s and larger. It never occurred to me that the larger the card, the bigger the loss if something happens to it.
Thanks!
11 years 1 month ago #278404 by garyrhook
I use 16G and 8G cards. A 16G card will take an entire day's worth of photos (over 800) with 16M raw images. I rotate the cards, not erasing/re-formatting them until the files have been pulled onto the computer and backed up onto the RAID NAS. Having larger cards wouldn't fit will with these procedures.

I suppose if my camera was creating 24M or 36M files I'd be using 32G cards, but nothing too large for me, thank you.

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #278409 by robbie
For my D7000 I uses 32gb & 16gb cards for wildlife...3x32gb ...5x16gb but that`s for two persons shooting.
With the low prices for SD charges why not plus the D7000 has video.

11 years 1 month ago #278465 by Dana Leeson
16GB is the largest I have, I can't image all the photos that could be stored on a 64GB or better yet the 128GB card that's out there.

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #278535 by Meskill
Just 8GB and a couple 16GB cards

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #278606 by Ian Stone
I want a 64GB :evil: think of all the video you can put on that card. Photos would be so many Raw files!

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #278631 by Baydream
I have 2 32GB, 2 16GB, and several 8s and 4s. My 60D produces 20-24MB Raw files so the 32 works well when I have a long day. Late last year at a waterfowl park, I found that near the end of the day, I had filled a 32GB card. Bird positions change so quickly that bursts are often needed to get the "right" moment.

Unless I start shooting a LOT of video, I probably won't get a 64.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #278719 by Foxy Girl
Wanting for prices to come down on 32GB cards, then I'll get one of those

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #278762 by The Original Daisy
I have a 8gb and recently just picked up a 16gb card

11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #278902 by Stealthy Ninja
I have two 64GB in my 1Dx (I shoot to both cards at events). Then another couple of 32GB cards and another couple of 16GB cards.

I have a couple of 32GB cards for my Fuji X-Pro1

I've run out of space on 32GB cards at events. :blink:

I have yet to hit the 64GB mark recording to both cards (which solves your card failure scenario if you can do it). I have come close though. I have another two 32GB cards in case that ever happens, and then a couple of more 16GB cards in case I ever fill up the 32GB cards.

Better to have the space IMHO. I have theoretically 224GB of usable space when I shoot an event. Though it's really 112 because I always shoot to both cards at the same time.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024