New photos - thoughts?

11 years 1 month ago #278262 by Leilanee
Finally went out shooting again today (yay spring!!). Anyway, I never do landscapes or nature so I'd appreciate a bit of input on these.

Attachments:
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #278263 by Scotty
Number 1 doesn't do much for me.

Number 2 is awesome, and I would keep playing with the edit.

Number 3 is my favorite.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #278264 by McBeth Photography
#1 I love the idea of a very shallow DOF to isolate the beauty of the flower. To me the comp is a little distracting with the branches seeming to be a little on the busy side. Color is spot on!

#2 To me, the motion blur of the train makes the shot very interesting, although I would like to see the camera just slightly panned to the right to include just a little more train and rocks. I like the shot.

#3 LOVE this, don't change a thing!

It is what it is.
11 years 1 month ago #278266 by Darrell
Love 2 & 3, :judge:

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
11 years 1 month ago #278305 by Leilanee
Thank you very much. Yeah I am atrocious at landscapes, so for #2, it's actually not that overexposed, I just couldn't agree with the way the sky was looking, but I may be posting a new edit soon when I find some patience with it. A neutral density filter was used, and the exposure is fine... it's just the edit that's iffy.

11 years 1 month ago #278314 by rmeyer7
After looking at #2 I would have to disagree - you're not atrocious at landscapes. It's just something you haven't practiced and refined yet. Like Scotty said, keep playing with the edit. I really like it but there's potential for it to be even better.

Also, I agree with Barry on #1, and I agree with everyone on #3, it's awesome. I forget the name of the instrument he's playing but I've some pretty incredible youtube videos of people playing them. They have such cool sounds!

11 years 1 month ago #278318 by John Landolfi
No2 is a great idea. The composition is powerful, ( I disagree with Barry about shifting the POV to the right- the leading lines would lead away from what, to me, is the main subject). You are pushing the limits, which I amalways willing to try myself, so I like it. I find editing such shots offers great learning opportunities.
Great colors in No1. I would trry to get more of the two blossoms in sharp focus by stopping down a bit.
Nice fee lto No3.
:cheers:

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #278325 by McBeth Photography

Leilanee wrote: Thank you very much. Yeah I am atrocious at landscapes, so for #2, it's actually not that overexposed, I just couldn't agree with the way the sky was looking, but I may be posting a new edit soon when I find some patience with it. A neutral density filter was used, and the exposure is fine... it's just the edit that's iffy.

No. I disagree, you have a very good eye for landscapes. I totally support your freedom to edit as you please and will be happy to edit my statement about #2. I hope that I didn't upset you, it was not my intention. :)

It is what it is.
11 years 1 month ago #278327 by Leilanee
Thanks, all!
@Barry: Nope, you didn't upset me.. there was already a bit of tension trying to get the edit right last night and a bit of disagreement with someone who was trying to help me edit it :P
Comparing my landscapes to my portraits, I always think my landscapes are horrible because portraits are more natural to me.
@Roy: Yes, that instrument is awesome! No idea what it's called but that man is always there performing in the same spot and the music is really neat (especially next to the ocean)... I really need to tip him next time I'm there lol
@John: Glad you like the composition in #2. I actually have another shot with identical framing and exposure that was shot as the train was approaching... I thought of editing that one, but it was a bit too far away to make an impact on the image, in my opinion.

11 years 1 month ago #278329 by Scotty

Leilanee wrote: Thanks, all!
@Barry: Nope, you didn't upset me.. there was already a bit of tension trying to get the edit right last night and a bit of disagreement with someone who was trying to help me edit it :P
Comparing my landscapes to my portraits, I always think my landscapes are horrible because portraits are more natural to me.
@Roy: Yes, that instrument is awesome! No idea what it's called but that man is always there performing in the same spot and the music is really neat (especially next to the ocean)... I really need to tip him next time I'm there lol
@John: Glad you like the composition in #2. I actually have another shot with identical framing and exposure that was shot as the train was approaching... I thought of editing that one, but it was a bit too far away to make an impact on the image, in my opinion.

More saturation. :duel:

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #278332 by Leilanee

Scotty wrote:

It's already oversaturated :catfight:

11 years 1 month ago #278335 by Scotty

Leilanee wrote:

Scotty wrote:

It's already oversaturated :catfight:

maybe if you're colorblind. :cheers:

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #278336 by Moe
#2 is my favorite. I like the streaking red train, the angles used in the photo and the sunset. :judge:

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leilanee
11 years 1 month ago #278348 by Tuscan Muse
1. Nice, but not a lot of wow

2. I looked at this for awhile, never realizing that there was a train. I kept trying to figure out what the red blur was.

3. Wonderful shot!
11 years 1 month ago #278349 by John37
I really like #1. The first thing that I was attracted to was the shallow DOF making the subject stand out. Then my eyes started to wander around the photo at the other branches and such. I don't know if that's a distraction, or just pure interest in the photo. Either way, I like it and it kept my attention.

I really like number 2. The moving train adds a fantastic element to this shot.

Number 3 is probably my least favorite, which doesn't mean I think it's bad. It just doesn't move me like the others.

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024