Are you keeping all your raw files?

11 years 1 month ago #278559 by Tim Kelley
Even with back up hard drives, these photos can take up so much space. I'm just curious if you keep all your raw files or do you convert some to jpg vs tossing them in case you need them?

Whats your set up on this?

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #278562 by garyrhook
All of the photos from a shoot get imported into LR. Then I do a backup. At that point I'm comfortable enough to clean up the SD cards. Then I i go through the images, mark the definite throwaways with a single star, mark the ones that jump out at me as 4 stars. I then delete the 1 star images because I'll never need them.

Then the hard work begins.

Once I've finished the editing, I get rid of the rest of the riff raff. At this point, the only images left are the ones I'm happy with. I do another backup.

No, I don't keep jpgs. I keep raw files, but only the ones worth keeping. Turns out to be much fewer than I shoot.

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #278568 by Meskill
Before images are downloaded to computer, I delete the obvious ones, then when in LR I have a similar method by which I filter images. 1 star are for the trash bin, 2 star is for maybe and 3 are keepers. The 2's I'll come back another day and see how I still feel about them, either they move to a 1 or 3 at that point. All photos are kept on WD external hard drives.

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #278580 by fbicking
I keep shots I take for others for three years endless if they are really good and I want them for my portfolio. Family I keep forever. Right now my Lightroom photo library is about 600 GB but it goes up and down. I have a 6 TB thunderbolt WD drive to hold everything.
11 years 1 month ago #278594 by effron
I keep the keepers only, of course. The raw files are stored on a couple HDs, which are actually fairly cheap storage... ;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #278640 by Joves

effron wrote: I keep the keepers only, of course. The raw files are stored on a couple HDs, which are actually fairly cheap storage... ;)

:agree:
Yeah I always keep my RAW files, they are the original data. I would rather delete the Jpegs over the RAW files any day. Sometimes I even play with them again to see if I get a different effect from prior work.

11 years 1 month ago #278684 by Jim Photo
Same here, most are kept by I never toss a good photo

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #278904 by Stealthy Ninja
I keep all but the out of focus or obviously terrible shots.

I buy new HDD when I need to for backup. Right now I have 2x2TB HDD in my ol' mac pro that I use for backup, the rest go on portable HDD. I occasionally backup what's on my portable drives. To the main storage drives (which I should do so soon when I come to think of it).

Whenever my mum comes up from Australia I also buy a large HDD and back up all my family photos on that and give it to her to bring back to Australia. That way I am covered if something happens to my HDD in Hong Kong. I don't give her work photos though, usually they're back up on my office computer if need be and/or the clients have jpegs so they also have a backup if I really need it.

Basically I've covered on multiple fronts.

I don't make photos into jpegs and then dump the RAW files. That's kinda dumb IMHO.
11 years 1 month ago #278944 by DKasler
I keep all of the RAWs on my "Photography" hard drive. Even the non-keepers. what is a ruined shot now may be something that can be fixed in a few years or with a newly learned technique.

I then back up all of my Raws daily to an external drive and follow it up with a nightly online backup. The wisdom being if you don't have 3 copies, then you did not back it up. One of the 3 should be off site. It does not have to be offline, it could be at a relative or friends house.

If you do not back up off site and your home or studio burns to the ground all of your data is gone as well.

My Photography - www.DrewKasler.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024