Been asked to photograph birth and first breath of newborn baby

11 years 1 month ago #278941 by The Original Daisy
I've done a few newborn photo shoots, but all when the baby was at least a few days old. I've been asked to be in the room to photograph the actual birth and first breath. Anyone done this before and can share some tips with me? Specifically how close are you able to get and what lens did you use for the job? Did you charge anything different for being there for the birth process? Which means technically your on call. Thanks for the advise.

11 years 1 month ago #278950 by Darrell
It's not really a photo shoot more like snapshots. I like to have more control over settings and subjects. Good luck!!

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
11 years 1 month ago #278951 by garyrhook
Nope, haven't done that, but some things come to mind.

The room will likely have subdued lighting; at best normal lighting, which is pretty dim. You'll want fast glass. And you'll bump your ISO up pretty far. If your camera is not suitable for low ISO you might consider renting something current that will perform well.

You won't want to be getting in the way; I'd suggest something like a 20-70 f/2.8 lens so you have some zoom capability, but can also back out for when you can jump in for a close-up of the baby.

Don't forget to get mom and baby together, and dad and baby, too. Those could be sweet shots. Yes, these would be technically "snapshots" but I'd consider them "event photography" and approach accordingly.

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #278956 by Tuscan Muse
What an honor! I think this says a lot about not only your trusted expertise as a photographer, but also about you as a person. You have been accepted to witness a once-in-a-lifetime event.

I am not qualified to give you any photography advice. I will say that you should ask the nurses and/or doctor where it would be permissible for you to stand and how far you can move around without getting in the way. The doctor may not want shots taken of him, or of anything that he/she does during the labor process. Unfortunately, in the litigious society that we live in, liability and especially the documentation of it, may be a concern. I would ask permission, just to be sure.

Good luck and congratulations on what I am sure will be a wonderful experience!
11 years 1 month ago #279023 by Monti Leehsu

garyrhook wrote: Nope, haven't done that, but some things come to mind.

The room will likely have subdued lighting; at best normal lighting, which is pretty dim. You'll want fast glass. And you'll bump your ISO up pretty far. If your camera is not suitable for low ISO you might consider renting something current that will perform well.

You won't want to be getting in the way; I'd suggest something like a 20-70 f/2.8 lens so you have some zoom capability, but can also back out for when you can jump in for a close-up of the baby.

Don't forget to get mom and baby together, and dad and baby, too. Those could be sweet shots. Yes, these would be technically "snapshots" but I'd consider them "event photography" and approach accordingly.

:goodpost: I was thinking nearly the same, 24-70mm would be the best lens IMO with ISO bumped up.

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #279042 by Dave426
What an exciting opportunity. I'll have to admit that I haven't had a shoot like this before. All of the suggestions I've read are good ones. One note about permission. Get a model release from the mother, father and have them sign a release for the new "minor" participant as parents. Ask the doctors and nurses if they mind appearing in the pictures and get releases from them if possible. If they don't want to appear in the shots go with the longer lenses. I'd reach for a 70-200mm with a 12mm extension tube for really close-ups. Practice with this first to get the feel for it. Also, reach for a wide angle lens if you are allowed to get in closer. Breath deep and go for the art of it. The long lens with the extension tubes are a great way to get close in shots of mom's hard work, dad's concern and baby's appearance without getting in the way. Ask the doctors to help by not covering up everything. You may need the parents to consult with the doctors before the event so that everyone knows what's happening. Be a fly on the wall. Find out if extra precautions need to be taken with the camera cleaning before the event. Set your ISO high enough to shoot with long lenses but not so high that you get noise. Think about renting a second camera for additional lenses. Set both in advance. Hope that helps.

11 years 1 month ago #279112 by ThatNikonGuy

Dave426 wrote: What an exciting opportunity. I'll have to admit that I haven't had a shoot like this before. All of the suggestions I've read are good ones. One note about permission. Get a model release from the mother, father and have them sign a release for the new "minor" participant as parents. Ask the doctors and nurses if they mind appearing in the pictures and get releases from them if possible. If they don't want to appear in the shots go with the longer lenses. I'd reach for a 70-200mm with a 12mm extension tube for really close-ups. Practice with this first to get the feel for it. Also, reach for a wide angle lens if you are allowed to get in closer. Breath deep and go for the art of it. The long lens with the extension tubes are a great way to get close in shots of mom's hard work, dad's concern and baby's appearance without getting in the way. Ask the doctors to help by not covering up everything. You may need the parents to consult with the doctors before the event so that everyone knows what's happening. Be a fly on the wall. Find out if extra precautions need to be taken with the camera cleaning before the event. Set your ISO high enough to shoot with long lenses but not so high that you get noise. Think about renting a second camera for additional lenses. Set both in advance. Hope that helps.

:goodpost:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024