Anyone understand what 'bias frames' are?

11 years 1 month ago #280921 by KZAM
I was reading about night photography and someone had brought up 'bias frames'. I picked up that these are created when you take a number of photos with your lens cap on to get a base line of the minimum pixel bias. Honestly this is new for me, so although I read what is happening, I don't understand what it means. Can someone break this down to easier understand please?

:thx2:

I don't need no stink'in Signature! ha ha ha
Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #280977 by cod
I'll give it a try.

When photons of light from the subject fall on the camera sensor, the sensor generates electrons, the sum of which carries the image information. Brighter sources generate more electrons and so on. Theoretically, then, if no light falls on the sensor, no electrons should be generated.

In reality, though, this is not the case. Various fluctuations and irregularities in the circuitry cause random electrons to be generated by the sensor independently of the image source. These random electrons are essentially noise in the image. The amount of this type of noise generated is very small. For typical pictures, where the subject is relatively bright and exposure times short this type of noise is essentially meaningless, being overwhelmed by the amount of information generated by the subject.

In astronomical imaging, however, that is another matter. Astronomers photograph very faint objects with exposure times that can be measured in hours. The sensor noise can combine with image data in a way that interferes with the desired signal. Given that such images are often used to measure brightness of astronomical objects any external noise must be eliminated.

Astronomers make use of bias frames, dark frames and flat frames to determine the noise characteristics of the sensor being used. The noise can then be subtracted from the captured image data.

Bias frames are essentially images taken with almost zero exposure time. They are intended to determine the unevenness of the sensor. In the same way that a white sheet of paper is not perfectly evenly white across its surface a sensor with no light falling on it does not read a perfectly even values across its surface. The data from bias frames can be used to cancel out this unevenness in images.

Dark frames and flat frames are similarly used to cancel out random noise generated by hot pixels and similar and by distortions introduced by other sources, e.g. vignetting from the telescope tube.

In scientific and high quality astronomical images the use of these calibration frames is essential. For ordinary photography I don’t see any point. Even in regular night photography the subjects are relatively bright compared with faint astronomical objects. We are usually photographing lit up objects in the night, not the darkness itself. I’ve never heard of anyone worrying about this for regular photography.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024