Photographers starting out on Craigslist

10 years 10 months ago #286753 by Craig Stone
Is it completely frowned upon for a photographer to advertise their business on Craigslist when they are getting started? It's free, and free is good in my book. If practice fair business, does it matter that you advertise on Craigslist?

Photo Comments
10 years 10 months ago #286767 by garyrhook
IMO. $0.02. For me.

If you can't post images that demonstrate your ability to do good work, it doesn't matter where you advertise. Most of what I see on CL is, *ahem*, not good. I suggest you start by enlisting family and friends as your models (read: guinea pigs) and work on getting at least the start of a portfolio. Do some homework on putting together a portfolio and building a website . Produce consistently good work.

Grow a thick skin.

Learn about building and running a business.

Find a photography meet-up and a mentor.

Differentiate yourself.

When you've got some shots that you can honestly compare to other work and feel that it stands up, then consider how to market yourself. CL will only be a small part of that.

Again, IMO.

Photo Comments
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #286800 by icepics
To me there's a reason it's free - I think it would likely attract potential customers who want something for next to nothing. Listing on there would probably give the impression that a photographer might be an amateur at best. I suppose it depends on what kind of reputation as a photographer you want to develop.

Sharon
Photo Comments
10 years 10 months ago #286846 by Jeanne Merlo

garyrhook wrote: IMO. $0.02. For me.

If you can't post images that demonstrate your ability to do good work, it doesn't matter where you advertise. Most of what I see on CL is, *ahem*, not good. I suggest you start by enlisting family and friends as your models (read: guinea pigs) and work on getting at least the start of a portfolio. Do some homework on putting together a portfolio and building a website . Produce consistently good work.

Grow a thick skin.

Learn about building and running a business.

Find a photography meet-up and a mentor.

Differentiate yourself.

When you've got some shots that you can honestly compare to other work and feel that it stands up, then consider how to market yourself. CL will only be a small part of that.

Again, IMO.

Good post

10 years 10 months ago #286890 by I shoot RAW
Just don't end up on their 'Craigslist best list' :rofl: :rofl: Be smart with what you are posting.

Wasn't me :)
Photo Comments
10 years 10 months ago #286917 by Hoss
Good advice, Craigslist can be a good source of advertising if you be smart with how you advertise your business.

Photo Comments
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #287150 by Joves
I am with Gary on this as well.
Personally I do not see a problem with posting an ad on CL. But your problem will be the low ballers, and those who will try to get you to compete with the Blue Light shooters. Most of what I see on CL is kind of scary to me quality wise. You would think that none of them even bothered with reading the manual for their cameras on getting proper exposure, meaning the basics. If your work is top end then all I can say is good luck.

10 years 10 months ago #287403 by Uplander
Where can you find all the funny ads on Craigslist? The wacky ones?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024