Photographing a dance recital with no flash and no tripod

10 years 9 months ago #289426 by Jim Photo
Time to get friendly with my fastest lenses. We have a dance recital of my daughter next week and I just found out that you bring cameras, but no flash and no tripods will be permitted. :blink: I've heard of no tripods, but the flash seems excessive to me. Well, I guess higher ISO and shallow DOF will be the magic touch here.

Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #289430 by garyrhook

Jim Photo wrote: Time to get friendly with my fastest lenses. We have a dance recital of my daughter next week and I just found out that you bring cameras, but no flash and no tripods will be permitted. :blink: I've heard of no tripods, but the flash seems excessive to me. Well, I guess higher ISO and shallow DOF will be the magic touch here.

As a performer (musician for many years) let me assure you that flashes are dangerous in a darkened room. They can blind you, keeping you from seeing anything for several seconds. That's dangerous, even moreso for a dancer. Even if flash is allowed you should never use it in that situation. It's inappropriate. It's incredibly annoying to everyone else in the auditorium, as well as others taking pictures wherein your flash may fire while someone else is snapping the shutter. Yes, I speak from experience as a photographer on that point.

You can see some of my shots at www.grhookphoto.com/event in the AMDE group. If you have any light at all you'll be working at f/4 at 1/250 s with an ISO of 2000 or more. And you'll still have to PP to brighten the images and smooth the noise. Also, if the dancers are moving a fast shutter speed is required to keep the blur to a minimum. You can also see the setting on all of my shots.

A monopod may be helpful, but a tripod won't really add anything. The problem here is speed of movement and stage lighting. Depending on where you are you can hopefully get away with not being wide open. But you'll want some fast glass. If you have a 50mm f/1.8 I suggest using it at 2 or 2.8 from farther back in the room. Wide open will expose you to CA. You don't want that.

Finally: timing is everything.

Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #289537 by ShadowWalker
Yeap, time to get friendly with the widest aperture lens you own and high ISO!

Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #289543 by John Landolfi

garyrhook wrote:

Jim Photo wrote: Time to get friendly with my fastest lenses. We have a dance recital of my daughter next week and I just found out that you bring cameras, but no flash and no tripods will be permitted. :blink: I've heard of no tripods, but the flash seems excessive to me. Well, I guess higher ISO and shallow DOF will be the magic touch here.

As a performer (musician for many years) let me assure you that flashes are dangerous in a darkened room. They can blind you, keeping you from seeing anything for several seconds. That's dangerous, even moreso for a dancer. Even if flash is allowed you should never use it in that situation. It's inappropriate. It's incredibly annoying to everyone else in the auditorium, as well as others taking pictures wherein your flash may fire while someone else is snapping the shutter. Yes, I speak from experience as a photographer on that point.

You can see some of my shots at www.grhookphoto.com/event in the AMDE group. If you have any light at all you'll be working at f/4 at 1/250 s with an ISO of 2000 or more. And you'll still have to PP to brighten the images and smooth the noise. Also, if the dancers are moving a fast shutter speed is required to keep the blur to a minimum. You can also see the setting on all of my shots.

A monopod may be helpful, but a tripod won't really add anything. The problem here is speed of movement and stage lighting. Depending on where you are you can hopefully get away with not being wide open. But you'll want some fast glass. If you have a 50mm f/1.8 I suggest using it at 2 or 2.8 from farther back in the room. Wide open will expose you to CA. You don't want that.

Finally: timing is everything.

:agree: :goodpost: I generally shoot at f/4, 1/200 sec, ISO 2000 (sometimes as high as 3600) in Manual mode when photographing classical piano concerts. I do use a tripod, since there is relatively little movement on stage, and Dynamic Area AF can keep the artist in focus from one camera position. And, it's like wing shooting to catch good facial expressions, so you always need to anticipate.Here's an example of what you can get with this method:
www.photographytalk.com/photo-galleries/...d=5910#photoid=58092

Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #289570 by Conner
Good post everyone. This one is a keeper :thumbsup: I have struggled with shooting in low light indoor events myself.

Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #289589 by Stealthy Ninja
If you're far away a flash won't do much other than light up the 4-5 rows in front of you.

Usually these things have pretty bright light on the stage (or artistic stage lighting) so adding flash light will just ruin the mood.
10 years 9 months ago #289648 by icepics
Good suggestions from Gary and John, and I agree the timing can make a difference. If you can find out when and where she'll be onstage you can be ready at the right times. It can help to anticipate where she'll go next, which direction she'll be moving across, etc.

Sometimes dealing with low light and movement I found it can help to watch for a pause, sometimes before turning to move a different direction, to get a shot then. I try to watch for when someone will be under a light instead of in a darker corner or area.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024