Why do cameras have such high ISO?

10 years 8 months ago #290345 by Pettigrew
Have you ever thought about why camera makers keep pushing for higher and higher ISO? Honestly, have you ever used your camera with ISO anywhere near 25,600? I know I haven't. Well, let me take that back, I tried once just messing around to see what the photo would look like. The photo was very grainy of course.

I just find it funny how advertising high ISO seems like the new marketing tool just like high MP was/is.

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #290346 by KCook
It's the Low Light Mania. Somewhere along the way flash became a Bad Thing.

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 8 months ago #290348 by Don Fischer
Thing that get's me is the ISO keeps going up but it is still recommended to shoot at low ISO!

10 years 8 months ago #290353 by Shadowfixer1
Simple answer is, it makes impossible shots, possible. The average happy snapper may not use higher ISO's but many people benefit from the lower noise, higher ISO cameras now available. Sports shooters, concert shooters, photojournalists and even wedding photographers. Some places don't allow flash, so a higher ISO is the only way to go. I don't think a photographer would last long popping a flash while documenting a behind the lines revolutionary group.
So, is 25,600 a useful setting? Maybe not now, but I've seen great images made at 6400 and higher. I remember when I wouldn't shoot anything but 100 speed film because 400 sucked and 800 looked like trash. Now I can shoot 1600 with an old Nikon D200 and with a little noise reduction produce images that blow away the old higher speed film junk. I hope to see a camera that can shoot a black cat in an enclosed closet and see the detail in the fur. It's not there yet but as the old saying goes, "We've come a long way baby".
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #290361 by effron
Fixer is correct. I like where the technology is taking us. A few weeks back I was shooting an unlit mountain at midnight, and the "high ISO" capable D700 performed great at 1600 and 3200. There were a few shots not probable a few years ago. Of course, you could leave your camera on its native ISO permanently, but I choose to use the features..... ;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #290365 by Jim Photo
But sometime in the future 25,600 ISO might be nose free

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #290368 by Shadowfixer1

Jim Photo wrote: But sometime in the future 25,600 ISO might be nose free

I wouldn't want a camera that wouldn't show a nose. People would look completely silly. :rofl:
10 years 8 months ago #290369 by Joves

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Simple answer is, it makes impossible shots, possible. The average happy snapper may not use higher ISO's but many people benefit from the lower noise, higher ISO cameras now available. Sports shooters, concert shooters, photojournalists and even wedding photographers. Some places don't allow flash, so a higher ISO is the only way to go. I don't think a photographer would last long popping a flash while documenting a behind the lines revolutionary group.
So, is 25,600 a useful setting? Maybe not now, but I've seen great images made at 6400 and higher. I remember when I wouldn't shoot anything but 100 speed film because 400 sucked and 800 looked like trash. Now I can shoot 1600 with an old Nikon D200 and with a little noise reduction produce images that blow away the old higher speed film junk. I hope to see a camera that can shoot a black cat in an enclosed closet and see the detail in the fur. It's not there yet but as the old saying goes, "We've come a long way baby".

:goodpost: :agree:

effron wrote: Fixer is correct. I like where the technology is taking us. A few weeks back I was shooting an unlit mountain at midnight, and the "high ISO" capable D700 performed great at 1600 and 3200. There were a few shots not probable a few years ago. Of course, you could leave your camera on its native ISO permanently, but I choose to use the features..... ;)

:agree:

With my fellow old farts. :rofl:
In order to get good results or even close to 1600 in the good old film days you had to hyper/cook your film to make it more sensitive. Once hypered you had to use it soon after, but keeping it in the freezer gave you maybe two weeks of shelf life. Now with the new sensors life is good, and I only see it getting better as they improve the high ISO range even more. I see it as being like anything else in life, it is better to have something you do not need all of the time, than it is to need it and not have it. With high ISO you could be out and see a shot, and shoot it hand held because you do not have any support, or you could say with no high ISO gee that would have been a nice shot, or try to get it and fail hand held. I will take the getting it over wishing I could have anytime.

10 years 8 months ago #290431 by Jessa Layton
It's a safety net for when you need it

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #290570 by Stealthy Ninja
The higher the ISO a sensor can achieve (natively, not artificiality pushed) the better the lower ISO noise levels will be too.
10 years 8 months ago #290834 by Hoss

Stealthy Ninja wrote: The higher the ISO a sensor can achieve (natively, not artificiality pushed) the better the lower ISO noise levels will be too.

:agree:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024