Need some help speaking to clients

10 years 9 months ago #290355 by Carlos
I'm not sure where to post this, one area that I have troubles with is speaking clearly to clients. I don't stutter or anything like that. I just have a tough time being socially connected to them. Which makes it very difficult for me to build relationships. Relationships is the cornerstone to repeat business. I enjoy the photography aspect, but fail at making connections, I just have to many awkward silent moments, then odd out of place comments will generally flow out to conclude what ever discussion is going on.

So, I'm taking the first step at identifying my weakness and looking for some help. I hope this makes sense and someone can point me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance.

-C

(2) Canon 7D, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6
Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #290360 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #290382 by Tristan R
You could always take some Toast Master Classes

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #290410 by Jessa Layton
I have a friend who has been going to Toast Master meetup groups for nearly 2 years and it has made a big difference with her speaking

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #290413 by garyrhook
If you're, by nature, an introvert, then yes, you need to learn to converse with strangers, and do so comfortably. I also +1 the idea of Toastmasters (my daughter did this in high school) and it is very helpful. It allows you to practice public speaking in a safe and accepting environment.

Aside from therapy :dry: I suggest:

1) Have an agenda in your head. It's a customer; you should have several things you want to ask about. Which leads to...

2) Ask questions. People love to talk about themselves. Don't focus on work, necessarily, but ask about hobbies and interests, vacation plans, or recent trips, anything you'd discuss with your friends. Listen to their response, and use that as a clue as to where to take the conversation next. E.g. for an engagement shoot inquire about the wedding and honeymoon plans.

3) Less is more. Affirmations such as "that's really interesting" or "that sounds fun" are good. Also, "tell me more" or ask a direct question about the subject at hand. Yes, you may have to interrupt to get them to stop talking for a shot, but remember where you were and get them going again.

Earlier this year I borrowed one guy for some practice shots; didn't know him very well, but a good looking young man that seemed to be interesting. He appeared very quiet, kept to himself. We met at the selected location, and I asked about him to learn more; just being friendly. Could not shut him up after that. He had all kinds of interesting things to share (turns out he is extremely intelligent, has an MBA, very well read, etc.) Think of the goal as "keep the conversation going," not "fill up the empty space."

My $0.02

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #290467 by icepics
Maybe a local class on public speaking in adult continuing ed. thru a university or a community center.

I think it can help to have some things in mind ahead of time, and maybe jot down a couple of ideas or whatever you don't want to forget. I can often just write myself a note of a few words to trigger my memory about what to ask or say.

Sharon
Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #290509 by Jim Photo
Honestly I think Gary has a great answer :goodpost:

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #290538 by Tuscan Muse
Toastmasters is a great suggestion. I can also add that people like to talk about themselves most of all. So, if you come up with a few questions to open the conversation, you'll find that they will do most of the talking!
10 years 8 months ago #290566 by Stealthy Ninja
I used to be kinda introverted. Then I learnt through teaching English to ACT extroverted. Eventually I got good enough that I can be extroverted.

Just gotta get over that hump.
10 years 8 months ago #290605 by HawaiiGuy
There are a number of self help DVD's for sale on Amazon

10 years 8 months ago #290731 by Alex
As mentioned there are a number of good resources out there. Prepare a presentation about you company, your mission statement, why your clients love your photography, the greater this is second nature to you, will allow you to speak in conversational tone with your clients and not come across as something that is getting read. If the client asks you a question, you'll be able to jump back on path with out skipping a beat.

There are tons of good books, DVD's, and like already mentioned, there are Toastmaster meetups all over the place that focus on exactly this. Good luck.

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #290811 by Carlos
Thanks everyone, this has been a challenge of mine for some time. I'm going to look for some classes locally here. Hopefully I can find something that works for me.

(2) Canon 7D, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024