Copyright question and landscapes

10 years 9 months ago #292017 by Happy Hour
I was just looking at some shots I had here and wondering if I take a photo of a tree in a empty field owned by someone I don't know. Who owns the copyright to that photo? Me right? Now if someone took my photo and made changes to it, I would still have have copy rights to it?

Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #292020 by Joves
Yes you have the Copyright the very moment you click the shutter. But as for your use of the photo that could be limited depending on the local laws, regarding using photos of others property, for example some states require you to have a release for commercial purposes.
On the question of if someone takes it, and modifies it. You still hold Copyright to the image, but unless the person who modifies it uses it for gain, again commercially, then there is not much you can do about it.
Copyright Laws are mainly to protect people who create art in any form from having their art, or intellectual ideas from being used for gain through unauthorized use. People using or copying your creation for personal use, is hard to get any damages for, since it is down to one person using it, and not making a profit.
There is also the Creative Commons type of Copyright, where people are encouraged to steal, and modify your work even for gain. Which I see as stupid on the part of the artists who go for that. :rofl:

10 years 9 months ago #292040 by One Wish
:agree: Joves really hit a home run on this answer. I have nothing else to add :goodpost:

Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #292046 by garyrhook
Got this off of the ShutterPoint site:

Property releases are required for any recognizable and uniquely identifiable property (including your own) on your photos that you are selling for commercial use. Usually a property is a building, but it can also be an automobile, boat, or any unique item in a private owner's possession.

I don't think a tree qualifies, unless it's a really special tree and/or a really special field. While Joves is correct, unless a lone tree in a field is clearly identifiable, I wouldn't think you'd have a problem.

On the question of if someone takes it, and modifies it. You still hold Copyright to the image, but unless the person who modifies it uses it for gain, again commercially, then there is not much you can do about it.

I'm going to disagree with this. Commercial gain is just one facet of infringement. I don't know whether it's worthwhile to pursue infringement that doesn't involve money, but I think it may be possible. You'd want to discuss that with a lawyer, after politely attempting to come to a financial agreement for the use of your image, using reasonable expectations.

Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #292143 by Joves

garyrhook wrote:

I'm going to disagree with this. Commercial gain is just one facet of infringement. I don't know whether it's worthwhile to pursue infringement that doesn't involve money, but I think it may be possible. You'd want to discuss that with a lawyer, after politely attempting to come to a financial agreement for the use of your image, using reasonable expectations.

For monetary damages it is doubtful. If someone posts your image on their webpage, you can get a take down order, or request it be taken down. Which is common on FB, and Pinterest. You have to go to the service provider to get it taken down most of the time. Taking it to court, and getting monetary damages would be a case of having the luck of getting a good judge, unless the site was a commercial one.
One of the guys at the Nikon Cafe saw some of his images printed off of his SM site with his watermarks across the images, and they were intrusive. When he told them that he sold the images at a reasonable price they basically ignored him on that point, and acted offended that they had to buy a print. He came to find out that it was more common than he thought after that incident. He knew that getting any damages from them through the system would be useless. So he made his watermark even more intrusive, with a note on his site that the purchased photos would have no WM on them.
The problem has become that our society is degrading so badly at every level that what is right is wrong, and what is wrong is right. I think I am glad I am getting closer to the end than being at the beginning of life.

10 years 9 months ago #292147 by garyrhook
Yep, DMCA takedown notices are the mechanism. In your anecdote, the photographer can easily have some fun by dogging them and having the screen caps removed, if digital. If material, hey, if someone wants a blown-up version of one of my images with a watermark across the thing, more power to them.

I agree that the internet / web has done a disservice to creatives by leading folks to believe that everything should be freely available without thought or compensation. It's all quite tragic, in my mind.

Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #292229 by Happy-pixel
So, do you feel you need to have a property release form when shooting fields and such?

Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #292254 by garyrhook
Me? No, not for a tree or a meadow. Presuming it could be anywhere, how could one determine it's location?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Tree photography is an interesting genre of landscapes that use the size, shape, and texture of trees as the primary element of interest. With these quick tips, you can master the art of photographing trees!

May 24, 2024

Auto white balance is a camera setting that adjusts the color temperature of your images automatically. It often works well, but you should know a few tips to fix problems it might cause, too.

May 24, 2024

The Canon EOS 5D Mark III might be more than a decade old, but it still has the chops to be a quality camera for photographers in 2024.

May 23, 2024

Starting a photography business can be a daunting task. There is a lot to do, and many mistakes can be made. This guide helps you minimize mistakes and maximize your success!

May 21, 2024

The Canon 6D Mark II might be an older DSLR, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a good option for 2024. In fact, this budget-friendly camera is a powerhouse for stills and videos.

May 21, 2024

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024