Using both Nikon and Canon, how bad of idea is this?

10 years 8 months ago #292093 by tejbon
First post here. This site was recommended to me from sales rep at B&H.

Let me tell you my situation. I have been a Nikon guy since my start 6 years ago. I currently shoot with a Nikon D700 and have been toying with the idea of getting a newer full frame camera. Something like the D800 or D4 if I found a really good deal. Well I found a really good deal, the only problem is its a Canon 5D Mark III. I found the camera on Craigslist, a guy is going through a nasty divorce and is selling his gear super cheap to avoid his wife getting her hands on it. So goes the story. I have the chance to pick the this camera with a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 lens, and a 24-70mm f/2.8 for $3,200. He is supposed to have all receipts showing he is original owner. I don't want to completely switch as I love Nikon to much, but I do feel this is a good deal and it's a nice package.

The problem is, on jobs I will be carrying double gear and I can't swap lenses from one camera to another. Can the flashes be swapped? What would you do here?

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292104 by effron
If I were wealthy, I'd shoot both systems. If you are working, I'd stay with one brand....pick it..... ;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #292114 by garyrhook
:agree: Hard enough to learn a single camera, much less two brands. I've shot with Canon before, and don't really care for it.

You could buy it and resell it, if you think you could come out ahead. Nothing says you have to keep it. The Amazon price of a used mkIII is almost $3000. You would be able to recover your outlay fairly easily, I would think. It's just a matter of time to find a buyer.

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292120 by tejbon
That was one of my thoughts too, frankly I have never shot a Canon before. Only know it's supposed to be a nice camera. I might just do that, buy it and flip it assuming my wife doesn't try to keep it :rofl:

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292141 by Joves
Actually if you buy an adapter for the Canon body you can use your Nikon glass on it. But it never works the other way around. The flashes can be used, but they do not communicate with the off body for either. The hot shoes as far as firing are industry standard, but have extra contacts for the TTL and such. You will have a learning curve with the Canon of course since their layout is different, and their Menu system is as well. Personally I do not like it, so I would buy it for a good price, and try to sell the kit for more, or try and trade up to your D800/D4 with say B&H, or one of the other reputable dealers.

10 years 8 months ago #292161 by Stealthy Ninja
I'd have Canon for video and action (1Dx and 5Diii and C100 etc.)

Then I'd have Nikon for landscape (D800e) and perhaps portraits.
10 years 8 months ago #292246 by Jim Photo
Sounds like a good deal, just make sure you verify it's not hot

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #292390 by Stealthy Ninja

garyrhook wrote: :agree: Hard enough to learn a single camera, much less two brands. I've shot with Canon before, and don't really care for it.

I don't really have a preference myself. It depends on the body. Some Canon bodies I just don't like (lower end models). Some Nikon models aren't great either (D7000).

I started with Canon (40D, 5D, 5Dii, 1DIV)

Switched to Nikon (D3s, D7000, D800, D800e)

Switche back to Canon (1Dx).

Best camera of them all: 1Dx
Best IQ of them all: D800e

Worst: 40D and D7000.

Differences: More buttons on Nikon. Better menus on Canon. Video is quite a bit superior on Canon (Nikon video has weird colour and just isn't very good to be honest). Generally AF is similar. Canon can be tweaked more and is better than Nikon after tweaking (in the better models that is). Nikon tend to have good AF even in lower models and the AF works better out of the box. BUT not as good as a tweaked Canon.
10 years 8 months ago #292463 by Joves

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

garyrhook wrote: :agree: Hard enough to learn a single camera, much less two brands. I've shot with Canon before, and don't really care for it.

I don't really have a preference myself. It depends on the body. Some Canon bodies I just don't like (lower end models). Some Nikon models aren't great either (D7000).

Differences: More buttons on Nikon. Better menus on Canon. Video is quite a bit superior on Canon (Nikon video has weird colour and just isn't very good to be honest). Generally AF is similar. Canon can be tweaked more and is better than Nikon after tweaking (in the better models that is). Nikon tend to have good AF even in lower models and the AF works better out of the box. BUT not as good as a tweaked Canon.

Well you can technically tweak the AF on a Nikon if you know where the factory adjustments are. Which I would not dare tell anyone, but it is there. I have never had to use the lens adjust, or tweak myself. So far all of my lenses have worked fine with every body I have had. Also for me the video is a non-issue because even if my body had it, it would never be used. I still have yet to try Live View on my D300, so it is pretty much a waste to me.

10 years 8 months ago #292698 by Rob Conley
Save your self a ton of frustration and $$, stick with one brand

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292703 by Baydream

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Excellent breakdown. :thx2:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292705 by Baydream
For that price, if all is legit, go for it. You may find you like the Canon better. If not, you should be able to flip it and make a few bucks.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292706 by Stealthy Ninja

Joves wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Well you can technically tweak the AF on a Nikon if you know where the factory adjustments are. Which I would not dare tell anyone, but it is there. I have never had to use the lens adjust, or tweak myself. So far all of my lenses have worked fine with every body I have had. Also for me the video is a non-issue because even if my body had it, it would never be used. I still have yet to try Live View on my D300, so it is pretty much a waste to me.

Yeh there's different AF settings on Nikon. Canon have more variety. Both are great and work fine. Though you have to go 70D, 7D or better (not 6D though) to get decent AF on Canon. Nikon tend to let good AF trickle down to lower ones. Canon are obviously changing that idea with the 70D. I forgot about that camera when I posted the above post.
10 years 8 months ago #292824 by tejbon
Meeting up with the guy tomorrow, my wife might end up with this camera. That will keep her from borrowing my stuff :rofl:

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292839 by Joves
Well good for you that it is working out in the end. I would not tell her about the Nikon lens adapter though, or you will never see some of your glass. But now come to think of it you will have a problem with who gets the new glass. If that becomes the case then I would tell her so it tips in your favor, and explain that Canon glass will not work on a Nikon, even with an adapter. Which is true. :beerbang:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024