Camera alligator snatched from photographer found eight months later with photos intact

10 years 8 months ago #292129 by Casey T
Just had this sent to me and amazed that camera was still workable and the photographer got his images! Testimonial to Canon.

"Mario Aldecoa lost $1,300 worth of equipment while attempting to get a nighttime photo but is grateful to be alive, saying 'that could've been me'"

"Mario Aldecoa was attempting to get a nighttime photo showing the shining eyes of 100 alligators at the Everglades Alligator Farm when suddenly one aggressive gator came within inches of taking a bite out of him.

Aldecoa, who works at the farm putting on alligator shows, is an amateur wildlife photographer specializing in reptiles. During a holiday party for employees at the farm, he set up his camera on a tripod a foot from the water and started shooting.

“Gators started getting closer and closer and one of them lunged out and grabbed the camera,” he told GrindTV Outdoor in a phone interview. “I responded by grabbing the tripod real quick, but he jerked it out of my hands. Bye bye camera.”

He and others came back the next day and waded the pond while using rakes to comb the bottom to see if he could at least get his tripod back. No luck. His $1,300 camera, flash unit and tripod were lost forever."

If you want to see full article - www.grindtv.com/outdoor/nature/post/came...ound-8-months-later/

My Passion is being behind my camera and my family.
Photo Comments
Attachments:
10 years 8 months ago #292140 by Joves
:rofl:
Well now he has a nice paper weight with a story behind it. Just shows that with the digitals you may lose your camera, but your images are not necessarily gone, as long as the card is intact.

10 years 8 months ago #292162 by Stealthy Ninja
Pity the photo isn't that great.
10 years 8 months ago #292171 by Tony Imaging
Agree, I would like to see details! I wonder if the acid from the gators stomach did anything to the body of that camera. LOL did it go off in the gators stomach as other items getting pushed up against the shutter release button? :rofl:

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292193 by Stealthy Ninja
I would like to see a photo of an alligators butt... from the inside.
10 years 8 months ago #292224 by ThatNikonGuy
Good testimonial for you Canon peeps!

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292226 by Kristy Blake
2nd photo looks creepy

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292232 by NickSano
So is the camera owner now wearing crock shoes and belt? :rofl:

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292247 by jkingiii
Did the Gator manage to shoot some cool pics.

10 years 8 months ago #292248 by Don Fischer
Damn! Wonder what it's like to pass a camera?

10 years 8 months ago #292255 by Superman
What gets me is, how did they track this camera down?

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292300 by Don Fischer

Superman wrote: What gets me is, how did they track this camera down?

They just found it in a pile of dung laying on the bottom of the pond! :cheers:

10 years 8 months ago #292341 by Frisco
WOW

So how did they know that camera belonged to that person?

Nikon 18-55mm VR, Nikon 70-200mm VRII f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, SB-700 & SB-800
Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292393 by James Rados
Now that was interesting!

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292418 by Tuscan Muse
The gator turned the camera in to the Lost and Found department of the park.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024