Stolen Photo Wins Samsung’s Live In The Moment Photo Contest!

10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #292142 by Alex
PhotographyTalk Facebook fan 'Rey Mandapat' just gave me the heads up on this article that the good folks over at Fstoppers posted today about a photo that 'Hengki Koentioro' had taken that was STOLEN and submitted to Samsung’s #LiveInTheMoment instagram contest by a user who stated the photo was his after he applied a filter and flipped the image horizontally! Samsung contacted the Instagram user 'boghan' and awarded him with a new Samsun NX300 digital camera. How crazy is that? The guy rips off someone else's photo, flips it, and adds a quick filter to it, then claims the shot is his and wins a camera by a major player like Samsung? :pinch:

When the thief got negative whiplash from the internet... people leaving negative comments on his Facebook and Instagram page... he responds with this:

“I suggest you all nicely to stop harrassing me with such comments and mind your own bussiness. I read the rules before I participate and I’m very aware that it was respected. So stop being some guy kissass’ers in order for him to claim a prize that he dosen;t deserve.”

:huh: :blink:

Great story Fstoppers and thanks for sharing this! See complete story HERE.

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
Attachments:
10 years 8 months ago #292144 by Joves
Well I will say that Samsung did act quickly on the matter. I also see that he had not, and will not receive the prize from the image he stole.

10 years 8 months ago #292145 by Gump
What a putz!

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292146 by garyrhook
Hm. Define "quickly." Less than 24 hours, enough time to do due diligence once the matter had been brought to their attention?

So now contest judges have to run an image through TinEye/etc. before awards are handed out? I would hazard that in most cases the Ts & Cs of a contest clarify that the image must be one's own. So some loser decided that he could either ignore the rules, or interpret ownership as "I have a copy of it, therefore it's mine." Samsung took care of the problem in a timely fashion, and an heretofore unknown photographer is getting all kinds of attention. Seems to me everything is being handled with alacrity, and there's a clear winner here. They say there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Should the photographer get 1st prize? Sadly, he didn't enter the contest. IMO. There are multiple issues here, and it's unclear to me that they should necessarily be conflated.

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292149 by Nathanael-Moges
yeah you're right... I believe the price should go to the second in rank.

10 years 8 months ago #292159 by Stealthy Ninja
The orginal is much better than the crappy instagram filter crap.
10 years 8 months ago #292160 by Stealthy Ninja
The original photographer should really start watermarking his stuff on FB.
10 years 8 months ago #292225 by ThatNikonGuy
Watermark is going to stop anyone, if they want the phone, clone tool will do the job :pinch:

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292228 by garyrhook
I've been assured that a motivated, qualified artist can remove any watermark one cares to use. That's understood, and really not the point. It's like home security. You won't stop someone that's determined, but you can make it inconvenient, and encourage someone to move along to the next victim. For me, the more I value my image, the more obtrusive I make the watermark.

The oriignal may have been better than the instacrap version, but that sets the bar pretty low to begin with. Don't care for this person's work myself.

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292243 by praccus
It's a Samsung Instagram contest so perhaps it's just about who can apply the best instagram filter in 2 seconds.

10 years 8 months ago #292276 by Pettigrew
The original looks so much better. What a cheese ball this creep is. His remarks about the situation suggest he needs a subscription to Rosetta Stone for English too! :owned:

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292307 by Justin
That is so dirty :owned:

Very nice to meet you!
Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292385 by Stealthy Ninja
What Gary said.

Anything that slows down or discourages a thief helps.

I had my car stolen once (recovered the next day). I had the doors locked, but that wasn't hard for them to get into. After that I bought a club lock (steering wheel lock) for visual show (and to slow thieves down). Also if I left the car on the street at night I'd pop the hood and remove a part from the starter (this was an old car) so even if a thief managed to get past all the locks and such (which they can) they wouldn't be able to start the car without that specific part.

So yeh, like Gary said, watermarks slow people down and make them not bother. Not that they'll stop everyone, but not having one is like not locking the doors on your house.
10 years 8 months ago #292400 by Vahrenkamp
What an smuck

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292452 by Yasmine Rossi
So bad, shame on him

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024