Rookie "professional photographers" are destroying photography careers

10 years 8 months ago #292570 by Shane H
While I'm ranting this morning, I'll add one more thread into the fire. The camera manufactures have done a great job make the pricing of DSLR's with kit lenses very affordable with world class features. The problem IMO, is much of the public who are just getting their first DSLR camera, have a false standard that just by owning a DSLR vs compact camera makes them a "Professional Photographer". These are people with shallow DOF in the world of photographic understanding, and many have this big fancy camera, call them self a professional photographer, yet keep the camera in AUTO mode.

I'm sure I can't be the only one who hears this, however I have had many clients tell my that my prices are very high compared to other professional photographers. I know my prices are very competitive. Now we all know, you get what you pay for. Just as many new DSLR owners perception of what photography is really about is warped, because of this, they set false expectations for the general hiring public.

I've had actual professional photographers (legit), quoting that professional photography is rapidly changing for the worse. One legit pro, actually closed his successful business and went back to corporate America because he just didn't want to deal with the constant nickle and diming from clients who were brain washed by NEW "Professional Photographers" setting the bar very low.

How do you feel about this?

The following user(s) said Thank You: sandrao
10 years 8 months ago #292574 by Jackson Rieger
You must be talking about the Craigslist photographers! :rofl:

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292578 by ThatNikonGuy
Yes, but that's what comes with the territory of being a legit pro, you always need to sell your self, your craft above the muck.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: TvPhotos
10 years 8 months ago #292580 by Don Fischer
I think the pros cater to a much different market. That market is still there for the most part but I also think a lot of people who never had anything other than the walmart photo's are finding friends can do the same thing. Someone that can actually afford a pro would probably not consider an amatuer. Maybe the problem is that there are more real pros doing it. What's the difference between now and film days? Processing. Anyone with a decent camera and a good knowledge of post processing on a computer suddenly took up the space that kept them put before. In film days, shooting enough to learn to take good photo's was expensive for the film and the processing. Then add custom processing on that and it's awful expensive. Digital changed all that! I think that to be competative in this market you really have to upgrade your skills or get left behind.

10 years 8 months ago #292592 by Joves
:goodpost: :agree:
Don is correct. Now you have to cater to a certain segment of the market, which means you have to be on top of your game.
Now every time there has been a new format in photography the old time users said it was to the end of the art as a whole. When they were shooting tin/silver types, and glass plates came along, making it easier to mass produce photos, the metal shooters complained. Later along came film, and the complaints were even worse, because first film could be massively produced, and second anyone could buy it, and their own little lightbox to use it in. Granted the early mass produced cameras were pretty much junk, but to people then they were great. Then the technology in cameras, and film changed even more making it even easier. more pros complained, even though their business did not suffer a whole lot. Face it most people still went to a formal studio for family portraits, or had an actual pro come to events for quality. The only ones who are ever fully flushed out in any of these cycles are the ones who were not at the top of the food chain. And the top of the food chain is where you have to be to be in this as a business, or you are doomed to fight it out with the bottom, which means you can be easily eaten by the hungrier ones. Personally I have never wanted to shoot professionally, to me it would kill the enjoyment I get from it, and have received for the past 40+ years.

10 years 8 months ago #292620 by Superman
Craigslist :rofl:

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292677 by effron
During tough economic times, you'll see quite a lot of non qualified people in all kinds of businesses. Electricians, plumbers, carpenters, auto mechanics and more lose their livelihoods and venture out. It was no different in the film days.Mid seventies economy and job market tanked and everybody and their grandmothers with a Yashica mat was instantly doing weddings, portraits and passport photos. I knew of NONE that became successful. It will get worse, as this economy sucks no matter what your gubberment or the traitors in the media tell you. You need to find a niche, quality clientele, and then deliver a high quality product, simply. Plus, a few business skills wouldn't hurt. :whistle:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #292692 by MajorMagee
Technology constantly transforms the world. For example, look at what copy machines and Microsoft Office did to the profession of Secretary (I haven't see a real one in 20 years). How many traditional graphic artists do you think have lost their jobs to some random office worker that was given a Mac loaded with Pagemaker and a Clip Art library? For that matter we could go back to the beginning of the industrial revolution and lament all the skilled craftsmen losing out to the unskilled factory worker fresh off the farm. The world is always going to take advantage of the economics behind these advancements, and complaining about it won't change anything. You just need to transform yourself to fit the new model.

10 years 8 months ago #292711 by Stealthy Ninja
Just be better than them.
10 years 8 months ago #292795 by Jeanne Merlo

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Just be better than them.

Simply put it, thats correct

10 years 8 months ago #293067 by Damon
Your going to have people like this in any industry, not just photography.

10 years 8 months ago #293076 by hghlndr6
This complaint has been around for as long as I can remember (that's a long time, folks). :lol:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024