3,390 mile Road trip from Burbank, CA to Anchorage, AK. What are some 'Must Photograph" stops?

10 years 8 months ago #293366 by Frost Photography
Late October my wife and I are taking a road trip to her family in Anchorage, Alaska. From Burbank, CA we are looking at 3,390 miles and estimated 61 hours worth of driving. I've never made this trip by car and would like to take full advantage of this. Here is our route, if you can post some "Must Photograph" stops along the way close to our route, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
Attachments:
10 years 8 months ago #293373 by garyrhook
Drive up the coast in Oregon and Washington. Not I-5. Take your time.

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #293382 by Tony Imaging
You can't miss Napa Valley, perfect time of the year too

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #293417 by effron

garyrhook wrote: Drive up the coast in Oregon and Washington. Not I-5. Take your time.

Absolutely correct, if you have the time. Don't blow off the Northern California either, worth the drive.... ;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #293441 by Don Fischer
Once you get to Alaska, take the Al/Can. Go all they way to Anchorage on it. Places to photo, everywhere! Take a long lens, probably won't be long enough but near Kluane ,klu-wan-ee, as you start around the lake your gonna find a viewing spot on the left to watch sheep, sheep mountain, great spot. Your gonna find highlight area's all the way up you aren't gonna be able to remember, just to many of them.

Do not take the Al/Can all the way back. Take it back the Watson's Lake and turn south toward Dease Lake, Hwy 37. Take it all the way to Hwy 16 at New Hazelton and go east to Prince George.

You'll probably find you really shorted yourself on time.

Oh a can't miss. Place in No B.C. named Toad Crossing. One little shack on the left has a kinda general store and sotra cafe in it. Beautiful place. Toad crossing is spelled wrong. It got it's name by the folks that first got there. They had to tow their vehicle across the river so they named it Toad Crossing, should be Towed Crossing. Hope ya like wild life. Going up you'll probably see elk, caribou, lots of bears, moose, maybe a wolf or two, fox's ect and woodland Bison, they are huge! Coming back down the Cassier, Hwy 37, you may find wolf and lots of moose. near River Crossing 3, turn off to New Hazelton, I have always seen bears! Have a good trip and allow a couple months for it, trip of my life time, made it five times!

10 years 8 months ago #293446 by Joelle Shields
WOW that is a trip!

10 years 8 months ago #293447 by Joves
Yeah as others have said go up PCH if time is no problem. You will not have a problem finding places to shoot. The problem is there are far too many place to shoot on the way. If possible carry a small external HD to backup or put the images on. You will literally get that many.

10 years 8 months ago #293484 by Don Fischer
Pacific coast Hwy is a great drive, if your not short on time. Thing about the Pacific coast Hwy is it's a whole lot closer to home. If time is a consideration go right up I5 to Hwy 539 at Bellingham, Wa. Then to Hwy 544 to Nooksac. Hwy 9 north to Sumas and the port of entry. Up into Canada and right on the four lane. east to Hope and north to Hwy 1, Al/Can Hwy. Don't short yourself on time in Canada, you might never get there again.

10 years 8 months ago #293558 by Frost Photography
Good stuff, thanks everyone. Has me thinking about bringing some back up drives. Now I'm just thinking about post processing all the photos! :pinch:

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #293688 by No Show

Frost Photography wrote: Good stuff, thanks everyone. Has me thinking about bringing some back up drives. Now I'm just thinking about post processing all the photos! :pinch:

PCH, San Fran, Seattle, boy there is so much. Do you have a cloud back up?

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #293694 by McBeth Photography
Man, that trip would take me years...too much to see. Be sure to give yourself time on the Rocky Southern Oregon Coast, it beautiful, also check out "Thor's Well" also on the Oregon coast. The Newport, Oregon bayfront is pretty cool, Yaquina Head lighthouse is open for tours daily in Newport as well. Just to the north of Newport is Cape Fowlweather, it's always worth a look around. As you approach Depoe Bay, especially during this time of year, you'll be in prime whale watching territory ... take a tour on the big blue if you can, you'll see whales. While in Depoe Bay, stop at "J's Carmelcorn" for the best carmelcorn in the universe, not kidding about this at all. Traveling north from Depoe Bay you'll soon see Lincoln City, outlet stores, gift shops, surf shops, restaurants are all good..."Blackfish is the best!

And then you go north to Pacific City, "Home of the Dory Fleet", be on the beach just before first light if the Dorymen are going out. They launch their boats straight into the surf and the return right to the same beach at Cape Kiwanda. they head right into the beach at full throttle (and then some), when they're almost to the surf they pull the motor out of the water and slide their boats right up onto the beach and use the sand for brakes. I'm told that the boat that travels the shortest distance onto the beach has to buy the first round over at The Sportsman Tavern, these guys are nuts, and a lot of fun!

Multiple lighthouses heading north, Cannon Beach is GORGEOUS at sunset. Check out Fort Stevens, Astoria Maritime Museum, The Astor Column, yadda yadda yadda.

It is what it is.
10 years 8 months ago #293868 by Tennis Guy

McBeth Photography wrote: Man, that trip would take me years...too much to see. Be sure to give yourself time on the Rocky Southern Oregon Coast, it beautiful, also check out "Thor's Well" also on the Oregon coast. The Newport, Oregon bayfront is pretty cool, Yaquina Head lighthouse is open for tours daily in Newport as well. Just to the north of Newport is Cape Fowlweather, it's always worth a look around. As you approach Depoe Bay, especially during this time of year, you'll be in prime whale watching territory ... take a tour on the big blue if you can, you'll see whales. While in Depoe Bay, stop at "J's Carmelcorn" for the best carmelcorn in the universe, not kidding about this at all. Traveling north from Depoe Bay you'll soon see Lincoln City, outlet stores, gift shops, surf shops, restaurants are all good..."Blackfish is the best!

And then you go north to Pacific City, "Home of the Dory Fleet", be on the beach just before first light if the Dorymen are going out. They launch their boats straight into the surf and the return right to the same beach at Cape Kiwanda. they head right into the beach at full throttle (and then some), when they're almost to the surf they pull the motor out of the water and slide their boats right up onto the beach and use the sand for brakes. I'm told that the boat that travels the shortest distance onto the beach has to buy the first round over at The Sportsman Tavern, these guys are nuts, and a lot of fun!

Multiple lighthouses heading north, Cannon Beach is GORGEOUS at sunset. Check out Fort Stevens, Astoria Maritime Museum, The Astor Column, yadda yadda yadda.

Great shots, where is the bottom photo taken?

The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography
10 years 8 months ago #293872 by McBeth Photography

Tennis Guy wrote:

McBeth Photography wrote: Man, that trip would take me years...too much to see. Be sure to give yourself time on the Rocky Southern Oregon Coast, it beautiful, also check out "Thor's Well" also on the Oregon coast. The Newport, Oregon bayfront is pretty cool, Yaquina Head lighthouse is open for tours daily in Newport as well. Just to the north of Newport is Cape Fowlweather, it's always worth a look around. As you approach Depoe Bay, especially during this time of year, you'll be in prime whale watching territory ... take a tour on the big blue if you can, you'll see whales. While in Depoe Bay, stop at "J's Carmelcorn" for the best carmelcorn in the universe, not kidding about this at all. Traveling north from Depoe Bay you'll soon see Lincoln City, outlet stores, gift shops, surf shops, restaurants are all good..."Blackfish is the best!

Thank you! The bottom shot was taken at Cape Kiwanda.

Great shots, where is the bottom photo taken?

It is what it is.
10 years 8 months ago #293881 by Tennis Guy
Gorgeous. would like to see more photos of that location if you have :judge:

10 years 8 months ago #293892 by Pierce Steenken
:agree: Cape Kiwanda, Oregon is a photographers dream spot. Might be worth to pull off the road trip a day or two. Well worth it.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024