How many shutter actuation's would be considered a lot these days?

10 years 7 months ago #294768 by Adam Nagle
Would a camera with 100,000 shutter actuation' be considered having a lot these days considering these cameras are supposed to take up to 300,000 or so?

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #294770 by Joves
Yeah I would consider a camera that had 100K in clicks as a lot. That is 1/3 of the shutters estimated lifespan, never mind that I have film cameras with more than that. But in the newer electronic incarnations that would be considered quite a few. Back in the old days people would say how many rolls of film had been through a body, when they wanted to make it sound like it had not had much use. Now it is shutter clicks, but the rub is the newer shutters can fail in the first few, or maybe last to twice their projected service life.

10 years 7 months ago #294864 by J Hemingway
Yes, 100,000 shutter clicks would seem like a lot IMHO. Are you buying a camera or selling?

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #294960 by Maverick V
I can't imagine a camera having anywhere near 300,000 shutter actuations!

10 years 7 months ago #295021 by Eddy
More reason to check the shutter count on cameras that you are buying! I would be ticked off to buy a used camera, then find out the camera has 200k of shutter clicks!

10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #295053 by Hassner
Then I should be proud of my 350D that made over 700 000.

...before she died and became a paper weight.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #295071 by Joves

Maverick V wrote: I can't imagine a camera having anywhere near 300,000 shutter actuations!

:rofl:
Maybe in the digital age that seems like a lot. I bought my Pentax MX in 76" and shot with it till around 99", so it has way more than 300K in shutter releases. Also the shutter in that one is a rubberized silk material. Still have it, and I imagine that if I were to load it up, it would still fire off a roll of film. It is a totally mechanical camera, and the only thing the batteries were for is the light meter.

Hassner wrote: Then I should be proud of my 350D that made over 700 000.

...before she died and became a paper weight.

It is kind of a shame isn't it that 700K is considered way above a cameras working life, is it not? :rofl:
Oh well I will take the convenience of not dealing with developing or waiting for a roll of film to run out to change the ISO.

10 years 7 months ago #295186 by Happy Snapper
Makes you wonder if anyone has cleared 1,000,000 photos on single camera?

Gripped Nikon D810 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #295295 by ShadowWalker

Happy Snapper wrote: Makes you wonder if anyone has cleared 1,000,000 photos on single camera?

I'm sure there is, perhaps with a testing camera where they just keep the shutter pressed. Actually who knows, but that would be a lot of photos.

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #295297 by Screamin Scott
Here's a link to a database of shutter life of many popular cameras...

www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #295324 by garyrhook

Screamin Scott wrote: Here's a link to a database of shutter life of many popular cameras...

www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/

1) That's tragically out of date

2) At 35K on my D5100 the chart implies I'm in trouble.

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #295326 by Screamin Scott
Out of ?...Yes

Irrelavent, probably not

Shame there are no current databases out there for this.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #295332 by garyrhook

Screamin Scott wrote: Irrelavent, probably not

Shame there are no current databases out there for this.

No, probably not irrelevant, although newer equipment does better at MTBF on shutter actuations. This data is more useful for buying used, I think, which is just fine.

We'll just have to trust the statements from the manufacturers. :whistle:

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #295486 by Jim Photo
Statements from manufactures :rofl:

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #295499 by robbie
:watching:

Jim Photo wrote: Statements from manufactures :rofl:

Love it...LMAO!!!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024