How would you categorize yourself?

10 years 7 months ago #298776 by Overread
When you reflect back on your photography, do you see yourself more of a Craftsman or more of an Artist. These words might seem closely related, however when you really spend time thinking about the root meaning behind each, there is some separation. Now photography is one of those mediums that does require both an artistic side and technical know how. So chances are you have both of these within you. That's not what I'm asking, which would you categorize yourself as having greater 'roots' in?

I pride myself on the craftsman side most.

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #298784 by KCook
My category is "lazy". Fanatics on either end of the spectrum would drum me out of their club.

muddlingthrough

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 7 months ago #298800 by Don Fischer
I'm in the same boat. Good photographer's wouldn't let me in their club!

10 years 7 months ago #298817 by Joves
I am a crafty artisan. But really I am both for the most part. If I did not look at the world in an artistic way then I would not be shooting photos. I know my equipment, and what it does, so that makes me a craftsmen. I do not know if I am a good one, but that is what I am.

10 years 7 months ago #298872 by Vahrenkamp

KCook wrote: My category is "lazy". Fanatics on either end of the spectrum would drum me out of their club.

muddlingthrough

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #299301 by JD Imagery
Frankly I would be a hybrid and somewhere between both of those.

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #299305 by StephanieW

KCook wrote: My category is "lazy". Fanatics on either end of the spectrum would drum me out of their club.

muddlingthrough

lol this.

But seriously, I don't consider myself a craftsman and I'd much prefer the term "artist," but I feel like categorizing yourself as an artist is a bit self righteous. But honestly, that's what I identify as most. Long before I had any technical know-how I was taking pictures I liked to classify as art and only in the past few years have I been learning the "craftsman" side of things (and I still have a ways to go). But I'm also a writer and I tend view that as the same type of thing. I like to tell stories, but when it comes to crafting words together, I might lack in that area.

I like to create rather than construct, basically.

10 years 7 months ago #299308 by KCook
Err, a craftsman does not "construct". A craftsman "records" (with perfection in mind).

pedantic

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 7 months ago #299327 by StephanieW

KCook wrote: Err, a craftsman does not "construct". A craftsman "records" (with perfection in mind).

pedantic

lol sorry, didn't mean to offend with that. Was mostly relating that to my writing anyway. But I tend to view my photography and writing in the same general category. I just like to create things and tell stories. The construction of my written word might not always be the best, but I think I create good stories. Then translating that over to photography, I might not always have the right settings on my camera or the best lighting, but I think I create things that are interesting to look at. Room for improvement in both fields for sure, though.

10 years 7 months ago #299409 by Ira Weber
I'm half and half. Can I get away with that?

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #299412 by dlos1
Time starved!

I learn and practice in bits and pieces which keeps me from ever getting better or advancing. Seems I have this problem with all my interests, I guess maybe I have too many interests!

I'll brush up before a big trip or event just enough to get a few decent shots of the many I'll take, perhaps remain engaged in photography until life gets in the way which happens quickly for me.

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #299471 by Stealthy Ninja
I just try to not drop the camera.
10 years 7 months ago #299475 by Eliffman
Call me an easy to inspire photographer!

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #299571 by Ian Stone
I'm a student of photography!

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #299609 by MYoung

Ian Stone wrote: I'm a student of photography!

You took my answer :P

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024