Flash photography will cause gold to tarnish?

10 years 6 months ago #298827 by Craig Stone
:blink: I have been photographing churches and told today by one church that I couldn't use flash because it tarnishes the gold? :blink: :blink: I have been searching about this since I got back home and can't seem to find anything about this. I see gold reacts to chemicals that are in hair spray and various acids, but nothing on flash photography. I don't want to say the representative of the church lied to me, so I'm going to ask here before I come to a final stop on this. Have you heard anything about this?

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #298838 by Joves
A flash is merely a light source. If light tarnished/corroded gold then it would be worthless. But gold is not affected by light at all, and gold does not degrade from age. It takes effort to destroy it, such as chemicals, or heat. Sounds like they just do not want anyone to use a flash, in which case they should just say so. Flashes though can affect paintings, and documents. Which is why they are not allowed at museums.

10 years 6 months ago #298866 by garyrhook
The person to whom you spoke is, at best, misinformed. At worst, I won't say. Gold tarnishes from oxidation, just like any other metal that is susceptible to oxygen. Sheesh, what do they teach in school these days?

As for paintings, that's a myth, too. Start here .

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #298871 by Vahrenkamp
I'm sorry, but this isn't good advice that you were given by the church official. Light from a flash isn't going to do anything but reflect and bounce off the gold finish.

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #298922 by Carlos
Not going to happen. Gold isn't going to tarnish. Now if I recall gold leaf and alloy can only if there is there is enough copper in the mix. But for a cameras flash to do this? I'm extremely doubtful on this. I wouldn't say this is plausible.

(2) Canon 7D, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6
Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #298973 by Josh Jofoto
They just didn't want you taking photos in there. There isn't any truth to that.

Canon 7D | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro | CanonEF 17-40 f/4 L | 70-200 f/4 L | 580 EX II
10 years 6 months ago #299054 by Studio Queen
:blink: I have not heard that one before

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #299219 by icepics
They might be thinking of something like what Joves mentioned, that museums will often protect vintage art or documents from light and other elements that could over time affect deterioration. If places have a policy of no flash being allowed it's their property so it's their decision.

Sharon
Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #299334 by StephanieW

garyrhook wrote: The person to whom you spoke is, at best, misinformed. At worst, I won't say. Gold tarnishes from oxidation, just like any other metal that is susceptible to oxygen. Sheesh, what do they teach in school these days?

As for paintings, that's a myth, too. Start here .

Interesting that that's a myth too! I was horribly sad that I couldn't take any pictures of the Sistine Chapel. It said no photography at all, though, not just flash, so it probably had something to do with them just not wanting people to take pictures of it in general. Don't see why though since pretty much everyone knows what it looks like anyway. It's not like people's vacation photos are going to take away from people wanting to go inside and see it for themselves. One of the most amazing things about art is being able to see it with your own eyes. I assumed they just didn't want to take any chances that someones flash was on and it got damaged on accident, but... apparently that's a myth anyway? So I guess the Vatican just doesn't want people to have their own pictures of the ceiling.

Side note: photographed the Mona Lisa no problem. :)

10 years 6 months ago #299473 by Stealthy Ninja
The gold reflecting the flash may tarnish your photos.
10 years 6 months ago #299508 by TvPhotos
:rofl: Wow that's a new on me.

There is no reason not to follow your heart. ... Stay hungry. Stay foolish.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024