Getting sued by client because of image transfer disagreement

10 years 6 months ago #299430 by EOS Man
Have you ever been threatened by someone to give you full rights of photos or they will sue you? I have a friend who is all shaken up about a call she received earlier today. Apparently she has a model release form signed by client, and clear language that shows rights of photos belongs to photographer. The client missed that, from what she told me, the message said. I told her she shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Hearing this made me want to revisit with my model release document. I'm going to send to my attorney tomorrow just to go through it and make sure there is no stone left unturned.

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #299440 by Joves
Model releases are binding contracts. That the client did not note the clause is to their shame. If it goes to small claims which it most likely will the judge will see it as such. Most reputable lawyers will tell them the same thing, the disreputable will say sure I can get what you want, and milk them for the fees.

10 years 6 months ago #299441 by sleeper54

EOS Man wrote: --snip--

Apparently she has a model release form signed by client, and clear language that shows rights of photos belongs to photographer. The client missed that, from what she told me, the message said.

--snip--

I thought this was the reason to read contracts carefully . . .to not 'miss things'..?!?

Like all things lawyer-ly . . .one may be in the right ...but pay dearly in time, money, and hassle to prove it.

...tom...

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #299454 by Jim Photo
Well if the client signed it, and the language is in it. Tough cookies to them

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #299463 by Stealthy Ninja
Ha America is so litigation mad.
10 years 6 months ago #299480 by hghlndr6

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Ha America is so litigation mad.

No surprise since 70% of all the world's lawyers are in the USA.
10 years 6 months ago #299525 by Garbo

hghlndr6 wrote:

True, because there are so many looking to take from others what they don't have!

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #299565 by Joves

Garbo wrote:

hghlndr6 wrote:

True, because there are so many looking to take from others what they don't have!

:rofl:
Which defines our Congress as well, where 60% are lawyers, 30% doctors, and the rest are something else, but commoners.

10 years 6 months ago #299651 by Meskill

Joves wrote:

Garbo wrote:

hghlndr6 wrote:

:rofl:
Which defines our Congress as well, where 60% are lawyers, 30% doctors, and the rest are something else, but commoners.

:goodpost: :rofl:

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #299652 by EOS Man
So here's an update. The models husband has now called my friend and saying first that his wife (model) didn't sign any model release form. Then story changed to my friend (photographer) tricked the model into signing the model release form. Apparently saying "no one signs these things".

I told her to contact her attorney at this point.

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #299654 by cybersholt
Good advice EOS, almost sounds like a money racket to me.

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #299669 by mj~shutterbugg
Unfortunately I think an attorney is definitely needed for your friend. I don't take my lens cap off without the model release signed. One copy for me, one copy for the model. I have been working with a meet up group where we hire models and work with a PPA standardized contract. So far I have had zero issues.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

10 years 6 months ago #299718 by icepics
I think sometimes people threaten to sue to try to intimidate the other person, but may not want to incur the cost of a lawyer and actually going ahead with a lawsuit. But since this situation seems to be escalating it might be necessary for the friend to contact a lawyer.

Why is the model's husband calling?? (It seems like the model/client would be contacting the photographer directly). He may think that no one signs 'these things', maybe your friend should consider pointing out that having a release/contract signed is a standard procedure (on sites like ASMP's there's plenty of info. on releases that shows releases/contracts are used by professional photographers). If your friend is doing portraits and being paid or even doing photo shoots in trade maybe besides a release, a contract needs to be written and signed related to usage of the photos etc.

I'd be inclined even if the photographer was in the right in having followed the terms of the release, to point out what's in the release but offer to come up with a compromise (maybe add'l payment for rights/files etc.).

Sharon
Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #299760 by JD Imagery

icepics wrote: I think sometimes people threaten to sue to try to intimidate the other person, but may not want to incur the cost of a lawyer and actually going ahead with a lawsuit. But since this situation seems to be escalating it might be necessary for the friend to contact a lawyer.

Why is the model's husband calling?? (It seems like the model/client would be contacting the photographer directly). He may think that no one signs 'these things', maybe your friend should consider pointing out that having a release/contract signed is a standard procedure (on sites like ASMP's there's plenty of info. on releases that shows releases/contracts are used by professional photographers). If your friend is doing portraits and being paid or even doing photo shoots in trade maybe besides a release, a contract needs to be written and signed related to usage of the photos etc.

I'd be inclined even if the photographer was in the right in having followed the terms of the release, to point out what's in the release but offer to come up with a compromise (maybe add'l payment for rights/files etc.).

:agree: good post

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #299820 by Francis

Sad to say, but you are correct!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024