Man Buys 10.000 Undeveloped Negatives and Discovers Invaluable Treasure

10 years 5 months ago #308883 by Tuscan Muse
This may be old news to some. As for the photographs? No words will do them justice.

www.webburgr.com/vivian_maier/
10 years 5 months ago #308941 by hghlndr6
Exposing more than 10,000 negs and never processing them is more than a little weird.
10 years 5 months ago #308947 by Roy Wilson
Yahtzee! It's like winning the proverbial photography lottery!

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #309013 by Leilanee
That's neat! Won't lie, I'd probably cry ;)

10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #309027 by Stealthy Ninja
Is the woman "Vivian" famous or something. I mean these are cool and all, but... why is it so special? (genuine question).

I see, she's "turned the art world upside down". So they "Art world" has discovered her... that'll make that dude pretty darned rich. Pity the photographer will never see any of it. Honestly if it weren't for this "amazing discovery" and perhaps the fact she's dead, these photos wouldn't be turning "the art world upside down".
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #309033 by hghlndr6

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Is the woman "Vivian" famous or something. I mean these are cool and all, but... why is it so special? (genuine question).

Well, she's famous now. While alive, she was unknown. It's the story that's done it … the discovery of so many thousands of photos just stashed away and forgotten. Now there's a book, a documentary film, and exhibits all over the place. The photos are OK … just OK, IMO … without the story, they'd be nothing special.

Aha! A ninja edit. You got it! ;)
10 years 5 months ago #309051 by Stealthy Ninja

hghlndr6 wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Is the woman "Vivian" famous or something. I mean these are cool and all, but... why is it so special? (genuine question).

Well, she's famous now. While alive, she was unknown. It's the story that's done it … the discovery of so many thousands of photos just stashed away and forgotten. Now there's a book, a documentary film, and exhibits all over the place. The photos are OK … just OK, IMO … without the story, they'd be nothing special.

LOL yeh I got it. I also agree with you. They're just OK. Typical art though. Make up some BS (or have a cool story) and you can make almost anything "Art".

Maybe one day I will have an exhibition of my posts on PT. Call it a journey through the binary world of photographic imagery and philosophy of metaphysical oneness.
10 years 5 months ago #309059 by Hassner
It is risky buying old film, exposed or unexposed, because film deteriorates over the years of which natural radiation and heat are the biggest culprits.

Developing old film, you can not stick to the recommendations. You need to develop longer to make up for loss.
I'm glad to see these were okay.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #309063 by Ulrich Brodde
I agree with hghlndr6 (nice nickname) and the Ninja: Photos ok, but nothing breathtaking.

However, a good story, showing that becoming known, rich and famous, mostly is not a question
of a good job but a good marketing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stealthy Ninja
10 years 5 months ago #309297 by Cliff

Ulrich Brodde wrote: I agree with hghlndr6 (nice nickname) and the Ninja: Photos ok, but nothing breathtaking.

However, a good story, showing that becoming known, rich and famous, mostly is not a question

:agree: good points

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #309305 by Leilanee

Ulrich Brodde wrote: I agree with hghlndr6 (nice nickname) and the Ninja: Photos ok, but nothing breathtaking.

I agree to some extent... Becoming known is ALL about marketing and networking, and I've seen mediocre photographers gain local popularity this way many times, some who have improved and some who have not. There is a limit to getting your name out there though; those people who didn't improve will stop at the point they're at and never progress.

As for the photo "quality", I've never seen technicality to play a huge role in street photography. To me, street photography is like photojournalism: the value isn't in how the image is composed (yeah sometimes they can look awesome and achieve the goal of being visually appealing but I find that to be rare. Let's face it, street photography is ugly. It's busy and messy and relies on spontaneity). The value in street photography is the story the images tell, and I thought these were interesting.

10 years 5 months ago #309605 by Shadowfixer1
This story is quite old by now. I think the fascination with these images is the look into a previous time in history. Most of the images are just snapshots of daily life but there are some very good ones in the bunch that I have seen. They are not fine art as I see fine art, but a very interesting look back in time.
10 years 5 months ago #309691 by StephanieW
I think this is awesome for the Time Capsule value. It's a glimpse at a specific place with no steps in between. These weren't developed, framed, and reflected on for years. It is literally one step from that point in history to our time. To me that's incredibly awesome. The photos themselves can be analyzed in a different way, but from a historical perspective it's pretty darn awesome.

10 years 5 months ago #309789 by Joves

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

hghlndr6 wrote:

LOL yeh I got it. I also agree with you. They're just OK. Typical art though. Make up some BS (or have a cool story) and you can make almost anything "Art".

Maybe one day I will have an exhibition of my posts on PT. Call it a journey through the binary world of photographic imagery and philosophy of metaphysical oneness.

:rofl:
Yeah pretty much. Nothing spectacular. And I thought I was a real procrastinator when it came to developing film in the old days.
This is all marketing, and now that the trendy artsy fartsy dealers are involved the guy will make a bagillion dollars for snaps. Got to love it.

10 years 5 months ago #309813 by garyrhook
Yeah, I saw some of the images when the story first broke. Meh.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024