Are we sharing just to many photos online these days?

10 years 5 months ago #309615 by Kid Prodigy
When you think about it, most photographers I know have multiple accounts that they upload photos too: Facebook, Twitter, G+, Flickr, 500px, and the list goes on. Photographers are uploading massive amounts of photos to these sites that have iffy privacy policies, plus there is really no way to protect your photos. Then when you look at it one step further, the types of photos that are getting uploaded astounds me. It's like you showing up to a job with your portfolio, you wouldn't show up with ALL your photos, you would only have your best. Same thing can be said with uploading images online. Why upload all them and not have control over them. Why not just upload your best in small sizes. When someone searches for you, they find your best and not all your 200 shots of your dog cleaning her self during your last family gathering.

It's almost as if people are fixated on quantity and not quality any more. Just my 2 cents from observations.

Canon EOS 7D|Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L USM |
Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 USM |
(2) Canon Speedlite 480EX II

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #309637 by Ulrich Brodde
Maybe the following is an answer to your question:

"My solicitude, that importance of photography will disappear cause less people do photos,
has been modified to the solicitude that importance of photography will disappear
cause more and more people do photos."
10 years 5 months ago #309653 by Leilanee
I find the amount of photos uploaded can sometimes be mysteriously correlated to experience x)
Sometimes.

I think uploading frequently shouldn't be a problem. You try something new with a new subject and you get excited about it, so you show the world. It gets annoying when people broadcast 200 photos of the same thing though. And I used to be horrible like that too. Maybe not with uploading every shot, but I would show a few too many and people would just get bored. (You need to find the point where people are probably saying "OK I'm bored now, time to go look at something else")

Sometimes it is genuinely hard to choose just a few though. And that's okay, it's good to be proud of your work, especially when you're like me because no matter what it looks like you'll end up hating it in a few months anyway :P Enjoy the pride while it lasts.

10 years 5 months ago #309677 by StephanieW
I'd say maybe 5-10% of my pictures ever see the light of day and even less than that is something I'd put in a portfolio. But that's just me. I take a ton of shots and most suck in my opinion. Someone who thinks more highly of their work might either not take as many shots in the first place or view more as worthy of showing the world.

I agree it'd get boring to show everything, but at the same time I think there's a desire to show diversity in ones work. Yes, you can photograph a subject like this, but you can also photograph it like THAT too. So if you prefer THAT to this, then oh man I am totally your photographer... if that makes sense.

10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #309681 by garyrhook
I respectfully disagree with quite a bit of that.

The biggest distinction is that of amateur vs. pro. Lets ignore amateurs that thank any crappy cellphone snap is worth sharing.

Leilanee wrote: I find the amount of photos uploaded can sometimes be mysteriously correlated to experience x)
Sometimes.

I think uploading frequently shouldn't be a problem.

Frequently isn't a problem; too much at a time is. If you believe FB then small, regular posts do you more good for reach.

You try something new with a new subject and you get excited about it, so you show the world. It gets annoying when people broadcast 200 photos of the same thing though. And I used to be horrible like that too. Maybe not with uploading every shot, but I would show a few too many and people would just get bored. (You need to find the point where people are probably saying "OK I'm bored now, time to go look at something else")

No, you need to be brutally honest with yourself and cull mercilessly. Show your best. But not more than 1 version of anything. You may be excited, but that doesn't mean anyone else will be. Find a mentor to keep you grounded.

Sometimes it is genuinely hard to choose just a few though. And that's okay, it's good to be proud of your work, especially when you're like me because no matter what it looks like you'll end up hating it in a few months anyway :P Enjoy the pride while it lasts.

Um, no. Be proud of your best. Yes, as you grow and improve you'll look back and see how far you've come. But your prior work should still be good enough to have been shared. You can just see now how it could be improved, even with just editing.

Be ruthless with yourself. If you can't find someone else (not your mother) and ask them. Enter contests; that will bring you down real fast.

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #309721 by Camera Diva
Here we go! I think it's annoying when people upload photos that should have been considered a waste of a shutter click, let alone littering the web. And there are plenty of people uploading this rubbish.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #309761 by Joves

Camera Diva wrote: Here we go! I think it's annoying when people upload photos that should have been considered a waste of a shutter click, let alone littering the web. And there are plenty of people uploading this rubbish.

:rofl:
Please do not beat around the bush like that, tell us how you really feel.
I have stated it many times that while digital is a boon for many of us, it is also a curse, in that it like the old days when people would have you looking at snaps of their last vacation, or family gathering. The worst were the people with slide projectors, and crappy snapshots. Now you can share those crappy snaps with the whole world, and what is the worst part is that everyone is. It has diluted the quality photography to a great extent, and also made it where the general public cannot see the difference anymore. Back in the good old film days only the best was ever seen in any mass publication, now even the mass publications use the flotsam which is not helping matters any. I believe that eventually quality is going by the wayside for the most part, except for those of us who are serious, but we too are disappearing as well. We are not the majority on this or many other photography forums. Also we are not the majority when it comes to equipment profits, and we never have been. It has always been the general publics buying of the cheap cameras that has made our equipment stay at a reasonable price. Sad but true that people taking crappy snapshots keeps the companies profitable.

10 years 5 months ago #309801 by Hoss
Twitter is the worst

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #309809 by hghlndr6
I like it!

I look at everything. I dismiss a lot of it; I follow some of it.

Some of it is really, very good!

Quality always rises to the top
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #309819 by renanpaiva
I'm an amateur with a DSLR lol,

My firsts shots with my DSLR went to flickr but now few shots later I'm much more critic about my photos and don't up nothing new.

Just when I get a good shot I'll up It.

Just about flickr I guess the app with auto upload isn't doing a good job, many family gatherings is going without any filter.

past 11/15 was mom's birthday, I got more than 30 shots and 7 photos went for a facebook album.

10 years 5 months ago #309839 by Scotty

garyrhook wrote: I respectfully disagree with quite a bit of that.

The biggest distinction is that of amateur vs. pro. Lets ignore amateurs that thank any crappy cellphone snap is worth sharing.

Leilanee wrote: I find the amount of photos uploaded can sometimes be mysteriously correlated to experience x)
Sometimes.

I think uploading frequently shouldn't be a problem.

Frequently isn't a problem; too much at a time is. If you believe FB then small, regular posts do you more good for reach.

You try something new with a new subject and you get excited about it, so you show the world. It gets annoying when people broadcast 200 photos of the same thing though. And I used to be horrible like that too. Maybe not with uploading every shot, but I would show a few too many and people would just get bored. (You need to find the point where people are probably saying "OK I'm bored now, time to go look at something else")

No, you need to be brutally honest with yourself and cull mercilessly. Show your best. But not more than 1 version of anything. You may be excited, but that doesn't mean anyone else will be. Find a mentor to keep you grounded.

Um, no. Be proud of your best. Yes, as you grow and improve you'll look back and see how far you've come. But your prior work should still be good enough to have been shared. You can just see now how it could be improved, even with just editing.

Be ruthless with yourself. If you can't find someone else (not your mother) and ask them. Enter contests; that will bring you down real fast.

Contests are nothing more than popularity contests usually. Peter Lik got 3rd place in an Astrophotography contest internationally...and his shot wasn't even astrophotography.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #309865 by sleeper54

Joves wrote: --snip--

Now you can share those crappy snaps with the whole world, and what is the worst part is that everyone is. It has diluted the quality photography to a great extent, and also made it where the general public cannot see the difference anymore.

..?? Seems to me that "quality" will still be recognized when compared to "crappy" photography. Not sure the thoughts of "the general public" are real important in defining "quality". Anyone can self-publish their 'great American novel' these days ...but that does not make it a good story. Not sure it prevents the true 'good stories' from being discovered.

Joves wrote: Back in the good old film days only the best was ever seen in any mass publication, now even the mass publications use the flotsam which is not helping matters any. I believe that eventually quality is going by the wayside for the most part, except for those of us who are serious, but we too are disappearing as well. We are not the majority on this or many other photography forums. Also we are not the majority when it comes to equipment profits, and we never have been. It has always been the general publics buying of the cheap cameras that has made our equipment stay at a reasonable price. Sad but true that people taking crappy snapshots keeps the companies profitable.

Oh for the "good old days" . . .when only "we" were good and everyone knew it.

...tom...

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #309867 by Leilanee

sleeper54 wrote:

Joves wrote: --snip--

Now you can share those crappy snaps with the whole world, and what is the worst part is that everyone is. It has diluted the quality photography to a great extent, and also made it where the general public cannot see the difference anymore.

..?? Seems to me that "quality" will still be recognized when compared to "crappy" photography. Not sure the thoughts of "the general public" are real important in defining "quality". Anyone can self-publish their 'great American novel' these days ...but that does not make it a good story. Not sure it prevents the true 'good stories' from being discovered.

Joves wrote: Back in the good old film days only the best was ever seen in any mass publication, now even the mass publications use the flotsam which is not helping matters any. I believe that eventually quality is going by the wayside for the most part, except for those of us who are serious, but we too are disappearing as well. We are not the majority on this or many other photography forums. Also we are not the majority when it comes to equipment profits, and we never have been. It has always been the general publics buying of the cheap cameras that has made our equipment stay at a reasonable price. Sad but true that people taking crappy snapshots keeps the companies profitable.

Oh for the "good old days" . . .when only "we" were good and everyone knew it.

...tom...

:goodpost: :agree:

10 years 5 months ago #310049 by StephanieW

Hoss wrote: Twitter is the worst

Twitter shouldn't be a place for showcasing photography. Twitter is a place for brief mass communication. Snapshots and funny pictures, yes. Serious photography showcases, no.

That said, I think Twitter is amazing and one of the best social media marketing tools. My websites gets about 1/3 of its hits from Twitter.

10 years 5 months ago #310087 by effron
"Are we sharing just to many photos online these days?"......
I say yes......or maybe no.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024