Sony a7 and a7R going to affect so many cameras

10 years 4 months ago #334173 by ThatNikonGuy
One thing I don't like is that it doesn't have it's own battery charger

Photo Comments
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #335443 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote: It's a really good cam. Slow AF though.  Adrian has one, hopefully he'll chime in.

Adrian isn't here, but Stealthy Ninja will reply in his stead. 

Alex wrote: I had the chance to use one of these a7R's for about a week back in October and must say, as a Nikon fan, I was impressed.  As Scotty mentioned the AF is a tad sluggish, but the camera rocked in so many other areas.  I give Sony props for cramming so much into such a small body. 

Yeh the A7r has only contrast detect AF so it's gonna be sluggish.  Also (according to Kai on Digital Rev) the A7r has a tenancy to focus on the background more than the subject.

The A7 has contrast and phase detect.  So it's not too bad. 

Both aren't as good as a 5D iii or D800 when it comes to AF. But they're smaller and lighter and such. 

What they DO have is very good face detection.  They can even (if you know how to do it) detect and focus on one eye, making eye focusing easy to do.

That said I mainly MF because the (non kit) lens I got for it is manual focus.

IQ on the A7r and A7 is very good.  Similar to Nikon products (which isn't a bad thing).  

The battery charger isn't actually a huge problem IMHO (even though I have a 3rd party external charger for it) because you can use a usb b cable (same as with a lot of android phones) to charge it, which means you can use portable chargers intended for your phone to charge it.  

Adam Nagle wrote: I'm trying to decide between the Sony a7 and the Fuji X-e2.  Thoughts?

Having owned an X-pro 1 and now the A7. I'd go for the A7 because of the superior sensor.  Though the X-E2 isn't bad at all and if you didn't mind the crop sensor and no possibly of the lenses being usable on any future full frame Fuji (the X mount won't cover a full frame sensor) the Fuji is a great choice.  Fuji lenses are all amazing.

digitalpimp wrote: So far, the reviews from owners look pretty good on this camera.  I would wait till v2, give them time to work out the bugs.  

I see what you mean, but this camera isn't exactly a new thing.  Sony have just created an interchangeable RX1 and are really building on their experience built in the NEX line. Every new camera will have some bugs though and one disadvantage with the new FE mount is a current lack of lenses.  The Fuji X-mount had this problem too.

That said you can adapt M mount lenses, EF lenses, FX lenses etc. etc. with adapters and a couple of the current lenses (the 35 2.8 and the 55 1.8) are very good.  Next month the 24-70 f/4 OS will come too.  So it's not too terrible.  Though if you wanted to shoot PRO stuff on it right now, it would be a bit of a stretch.  Personally, it's not a "pro" camera for me, though with the right skills you could easily take "pro" photos with it.  
10 years 4 months ago #335619 by Moe
Good info

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #336707 by ThatNikonGuy
I think Sony has been stepping up their camera game, will be interesting to see how they fine tune their auto focus of this camera.  Thats the only negative I've heard on it.  

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #336713 by Stealthy Ninja

ThatNikonGuy wrote: I think Sony has been stepping up their camera game, will be interesting to see how they fine tune their auto focus of this camera.  Thats the only negative I've heard on it.  

I think the issues are mainly with the A7r.  Though I've had some AF hunting in low light with the A7.  Be nice if Sony improves it with a firmware update.
10 years 3 months ago #336961 by KCook
Well, the reviews are online now.  The shooting menus certainly look different from Canon and Nikon, if anybody is into design and style.

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 3 months ago #337113 by Stealthy Ninja

KCook wrote: Well, the reviews are online now.  The shooting menus certainly look different from Canon and Nikon, if anybody is into design and style.

You mean DPreview?  There's been a lot of other reviews already.  Most of which disagree with DPreview when it comes to jpeg (something DPreview slammed for some reason).  A lot of people on DPreview are a bit perplexed as to what DPreview are smoking.
10 years 3 months ago #337233 by KCook
Ok.  Examining one of that site's own sample images, I did not see any JPG hanky-panky myself.  Just lowest contrast, which is typical for all DSLR.  In fact, the resolution of the kit zoom looked pretty good.  If only Sony would bring their other kit lenses up to that standard.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 3 months ago #337241 by Stealthy Ninja

KCook wrote: Ok.  Examining one of that site's own sample images, I did not see any JPG hanky-panky myself.  Just lowest contrast, which is typical for all DSLR.  In fact, the resolution of the kit zoom looked pretty good.  If only Sony would bring their other kit lenses up to that standard.

Kelly

I personally don't like the kit lens at the long end.  It's a bit soft. 

Next month they'll bring out the 24-70 f/4 OSS (Zeiss) which should be a good lens.
10 years 3 months ago #337907 by tCampbell
Are you able to open up the image files in LR or PS?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Starting a photography business can be a daunting task. There is a lot to do, and many mistakes can be made. This guide helps you minimize mistakes and maximize your success!

May 21, 2024

The Canon 6D Mark II might be an older DSLR, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a good option for 2024. In fact, this budget-friendly camera is a powerhouse for stills and videos.

May 21, 2024

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024