Currently Canon 5D Mark II thinking about moving to Nikon

10 years 2 months ago #342031 by ShutterPal
Post #1 here.  I was talking to a friend today about making the switch in the next few months from Canon to Nikon.  He told me to sign onto here and ask the board what the pro's and con's were.  The obvious negative is that I need to buy all new gear.  I got to use a friends D700 just before Christmas and really liked how the camera felt and controls.  I don't think I would go with D700, perhaps D800 or the D800e.  Any thoughts on making such a move? 

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #342035 by Scotty

ShutterPal wrote: Post #1 here.  I was talking to a friend today about making the switch in the next few months from Canon to Nikon.  He told me to sign onto here and ask the board what the pro's and con's were.  The obvious negative is that I need to buy all new gear.  I got to use a friends D700 just before Christmas and really liked how the camera felt and controls.  I don't think I would go with D700, perhaps D800 or the D800e.  Any thoughts on making such a move? 

What do you shoot?  What do you not like about the 5d mark II?

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #342041 by ShutterPal
I'm at that stage where I haven't really focused on much other than  landscapes and wildlife.  Although I don't have any really big glass to say.  The Canon does a good job, I just liked the Nikon and how the controls were positioned and over all feel of the camera.  Tough to describe.  This Canon I bought used and it has some battle scars from before I owned it, I think the person who owned it before me had bought it from a camera rental place.  Last time I did I shutter check there is something like 167,000 photos on it.  So it's getting up there on use.  The back LCD screen blinks every once and awhile.  I'm not sure how long these cameras are truly good for, but I might be getting up there on this one.  Can't hurt to plan. 

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #342049 by Scotty

ShutterPal wrote: I'm at that stage where I haven't really focused on much other than  landscapes and wildlife.  Although I don't have any really big glass to say.  The Canon does a good job, I just liked the Nikon and how the controls were positioned and over all feel of the camera.  Tough to describe.  This Canon I bought used and it has some battle scars from before I owned it, I think the person who owned it before me had bought it from a camera rental place.  Last time I did I shutter check there is something like 167,000 photos on it.  So it's getting up there on use.  The back LCD screen blinks every once and awhile.  I'm not sure how long these cameras are truly good for, but I might be getting up there on this one.  Can't hurt to plan. 

5d mark III is amazing and so is the d800e/d800 variants.  You'll want to look into glass and the system as a whole.  Flash systems will be key as well.

For landscape d800/e wins. Portrait...I believe canon renders skin better (you can edit to your liking)

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #342055 by Stealthy Ninja
What do you have now?

I moved from Canon to Nikon and back to Canon again. Maybe I can help?

Cameras I've owned in the whole process:
Canon: 40D, 5D, 5Dii, 1Div, 1Dx
Nikon: D3s, D7000, D800, D800E.

Overall I'd say the D800e gives the best photos, I'd say a 5Diii might be a better all round camera, but the D800e is very capable. I switched back to Canon for their superior video.
10 years 2 months ago #342057 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

ShutterPal wrote: I'm at that stage where I haven't really focused on much other than  landscapes and wildlife.  Although I don't have any really big glass to say.  The Canon does a good job, I just liked the Nikon and how the controls were positioned and over all feel of the camera.  Tough to describe.  This Canon I bought used and it has some battle scars from before I owned it, I think the person who owned it before me had bought it from a camera rental place.  Last time I did I shutter check there is something like 167,000 photos on it.  So it's getting up there on use.  The back LCD screen blinks every once and awhile.  I'm not sure how long these cameras are truly good for, but I might be getting up there on this one.  Can't hurt to plan. 

5d mark III is amazing and so is the d800e/d800 variants.  You'll want to look into glass and the system as a whole.  Flash systems will be key as well.

For landscape d800/e wins. Portrait...I believe canon renders skin better (you can edit to your liking)

Yeh I'd agree with Scotty too.  Put image quality D800e wins.  The files can be a little large though.

One thing to think about perhaps is that Canon tend to better at the bright end of the histogram (more leeway) and Nikon tend to be able to push darks with less banding (though they cut off faster at the brighter end).  So with Canon it's usually a good practice to slightly over expose and bring it back.  WIth Nikon you're better off properly exposing or underexposing slightly in order to preserve highlights.  
10 years 2 months ago #342063 by ShutterPal

Scotty wrote:

I have heard this from a couple friends about the skin tones with the Canon vs Nikon.  I was told both the 800 and 800e are both the landscape photographers camera of choice.  At one point I was thinking about getting a used D3s for the same price as a new D800.  I'm all over the place right now, but if I were to stick with the Canon the 5d mark III is the best bet, if I go with Nikon, there are a few options I might go: D800, D800e or used D3s. 

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #342065 by ShutterPal

Stealthy Ninja wrote: What do you have now?

Overall I'd say the D800e gives the best photos, I'd say a 5Diii might be a better all round camera, but the D800e is very capable. I switched back to Canon for their superior video.

Canon 5d mark II

Man you have owned some cameras, what made you go from one brand to another? 

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #342071 by Scotty

ShutterPal wrote:

Scotty wrote:

I have heard this from a couple friends about the skin tones with the Canon vs Nikon.  I was told both the 800 and 800e are both the landscape photographers camera of choice.  At one point I was thinking about getting a used D3s for the same price as a new D800.  I'm all over the place right now, but if I were to stick with the Canon the 5d mark III is the best bet, if I go with Nikon, there are a few options I might go: D800, D800e or used D3s. 

If 12 mp is fine for what you shoot, d3s is a hell of a machine. I shoot d3s and d800.

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #342075 by Stealthy Ninja

ShutterPal wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: What do you have now?

Canon 5d mark II

Man you have owned some cameras, what made you go from one brand to another? 

I was with Canon originally because all my friends (in HK) use Canon.  Then SCOTTY switched to Nikon (he used to shoot Canon) and he was telling me how awesome his D3s was (still is I suppose).  I'd JUST got the Canon 1Div so I realised (compared to the 1D series) how crappy Canon's AF was back then (the 5Diii changed that).

So I switched to Nikon for the D3s and it was great.  Later got the D7000 (let down, sold that) and later sold the D3s to get a D800e to go with my D800 I had at that point.  

The D800e is the best camera I've owned when it comes to pure IQ.  That camera truely is nice.

At one point I got back into doing video and my business partner got a Canon C100 (video camera).  Considering Canon had improved their AF system (with the 5Diii) and had a great FF pro camera that wasn't too price *cough* in the 1Dx, I weighed the pros and cons of the 5Diii vs 1Dx and decided to go for the 1Dx. 

Great camera for me, no need for another DSLR at this point (though a 7Dii might tempt me in the future).

I also own a Sony A7 which is my current everyday/backup cam, which replaced my Fuji Xpro1.
10 years 2 months ago #342245 by Allen D
D800e would be my pick!

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #342287 by KCook
As touchy feelie seems to be important to the OP, there are also significant differences in the lenses.  But you have to judge that on a lens by lens basis, not a broad "BrandX is always better" brush.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 2 months ago #342315 by garyrhook
After researching candidates, go to a camera store and hold them in your hands. You've already discovered that there's a difference in the way they feel and handle. That's important to a lot of folks.

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #342459 by ShutterPal
All good advise here, thank you all.  Red ninja, on a 1 to 10 scale where would you rate that a7?  I've been reading some good reviews on that camera.  Would you consider that as a stand alone camera?  

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #342495 by Scotty

KCook wrote: As touchy feelie seems to be important to the OP, there are also significant differences in the lenses.  But you have to judge that on a lens by lens basis, not a broad "BrandX is always better" brush.

Kelly Cook

Isn't that that the truth!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024