You are not a real photographer unless you print your own work

10 years 2 months ago #343015 by Vahrenkamp
I had this said to me today.  I told the guy that would exempt many of the best photographers out there.  He tried giving the analogy that back in the film days, if you didn't develop your own film you weren't a real photographer.  Frankly I think the guy was off his chain, but either way.  It made a good debate.  

Care to drop your 2 cents off?  

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dori
10 years 2 months ago #343023 by Stealthy Ninja
10 years 2 months ago #343031 by Don Fischer
I would not have wasted my time talking to the guy.

10 years 2 months ago #343047 by effron
I see no debate here, the "guy" is a nitwit.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #343139 by garyrhook
:agree:  from face-palm to nitwit.

That said, what this person fails to understand is that the mechanism for creating an image has changed. What had to be done with film (dark room, developing, exposing photographic paper, dodging and burning) is now done with software and computers. Once you create the image, transferring it to a medium of some sort is almost an after-thought, because no real work has to go into that final step.

Not that I don't like prints; I love them, and think that good quality images should be tangible and put on display. But this person belies his (or her) arrogance by making such an ignorant and uninformed claim.

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #343181 by Shadowfixer1
I understand what the guy is trying to say, I just disagree with his terms. I would say if you do it all, you are a more complete photographer or artist. There are many "real photographers" out there that don't do their own printing. Most of these famous photographers don't even do their own image processing. Most people consider Peter Lik to be a real photographer but he doesn't do his own printing and I doubt he does his own re-touching. He would supervise and tell them what he is looking for but I doubt he does it himself. Many of the famous wedding and portrait photographers don't retouch their own work either. They have "people" for that. Real photographers don't need to do all that but if you do there is a certain pride you can take from doing it all. I like when someone asks me "who printed that for you" and I get to say, "I did". There is skill involved in printing just like there is in making the image. The choice of paper for the type of image you are printing is critical to the final product. You will not get that if you just send it out to be printed. I know you can request a certain type of paper, but sometimes even the brand is important to making the final image look right. This is just me and my opinion on the matter. I don't consider anyone that doesn't do that any less of a photographer, it's just what I require of me. I like having control from start to finish.   
10 years 2 months ago #343195 by icepics
I don't think it was ever that common for people to develop their own color film, B&W maybe. Working photographers with a studio etc. might have done their own developing but there's never been much in the way of a home color darkroom set up. There seems to be a good bit of vintage darkroom equipment more for doing your own B&W film and prints.

I've always gotten color film developed and prints, and now get it scanned onto CDs too; when I was using a B&W darkroom at a local university I'd get the film developed and then do prints in the darkroom - it just depends on what you're doing, there are a number of options.

I've been printing my own digital prints but that wouldn't probably be practical for someone who has clients and needs to provide a larger number of photos. Like Randy said, there's satisfaction in printing your own photos; I feel a sense of accomplishment to print, mat, and frame one of mine and send it off to a gallery, but that isn't necessarily the best option for every purpose.

Wonder if this guy does his own prints? or has done his own darkroom work? or even knows anything about developing and printing B&W and color film.

Sharon
Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #343201 by hghlndr6

Vahrenkamp wrote: ... He tried giving the analogy that back in the film days, if you didn't develop your own film you weren't a real photographer.  ... 

Back in those film days, I knew some very successful commercial photographers whose post work was all done by commercial labs.  Their time was better spent shooting and taking care of business.  To label them "not real photographers" is just plain stupid.
10 years 2 months ago #343207 by Joves
Well I have to agree with what several have said so far on this regarding printing. Now I used to develop all of my film myself most of the time. This included color, but printing it except for contact sheets was rarer. I guess that defines me a a photography rube. As said most pros never developed nor printed their own work, and I never blamed them. When you start to burn, scrape, and dodge negatives, your time to actually make money goes by the wayside. Even those iconic Hollywood photos you see were not developed, processed, and printed by the photographer. The studios had people who solely did that, under instruction of course.
Now with the newer processes printing is much easier, but just because you do not print your work, does not make you any less of a photographer. Face it the majority of photos are electronically shared now, and most people wiew them on a screen. I print some of mine when the mood strikes me for something new on the wall, or I am giving a photo to someone as a gift. Otherwise they are stored for some later use. Almost everyone post processes, or if you are like me tries to pre-process in the camera. So that in fact meets the criteria of developing an image, who cares if it is ever printed. But it means that we are photographers in his terms.

10 years 2 months ago #343253 by Scotty
I get my print my own stuff at Mpix. ;)

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #343281 by No Show
Where to people think of this stuff?   I guess I'm a part time photographer then!  I only print half of my stuff!  

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #343365 by StephanieW
It's just another way for someone to feel superior. I hate that. :/

10 years 2 months ago #343405 by Stealthy Ninja

StephanieW wrote: It's just another way for someone to feel superior. I hate that. :/

Women should be in the kitchen Stephanie.

10 years 2 months ago #343435 by effron

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

StephanieW wrote: It's just another way for someone to feel superior. I hate that. :/

You are so third world. My wife only goes in the kitchen once she gets home from work.....B)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #343541 by Stealthy Ninja

effron wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

You are so third world. My wife only goes in the kitchen once she gets home from work.....B)

Was your wife looking over your shoulder when  you typed that?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024