Sony will report a billion dollar loss...

10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #343749 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #343753 by StephanieW
Whoa, that's intense. I remember a while ago we had a thread about which businesses would disappear in the coming years. We all seemed pretty confident that Canon and Nikon were sticking around. Sony, however, definitely having some problems here.

10 years 3 months ago #343951 by ShadowWalker
OUCH!  I wonder what the rest will reporting this year?

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #344013 by No Show
Surprised!

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #344021 by Tuscan Muse
Wow.
10 years 3 months ago #344113 by Joves
Well I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot more of this in the next few years. Oh wait the economy is improving globally so I might be wrong. The real problem here is that people do not have the extra money for much of what they would have blown their extra cash on, now people are saving, or have no extra cash. While much of the global marketers claim that the US is not really the driver in the new economic paradigm, the truth is that it actually is, or more the US common citizen. Many of these emerging markets are ones where their populations do not have our habit of buying things they do not need. Until their cultures change the US market will be the real driver for the globalist markets. They got started, and depend on us being frivolous with our spending. This is really a wake up to them that they need to provide the good paying work here to survive. I am all about capitalism, but true capitalism where everyone prospers as things are good. Things have become out of whack with heavy swings of the pendulum, for a while labor here held an advantage, now it is the chiefs of the industries that do with a big but. And that but is that they need to have buyers, which means they have to hire, and pay people enough to support their businesses. Rant off.

10 years 3 months ago #344133 by Baydream
I think you are spot on,Ernesto. The continued upward distribution of wealth is hurting a lot of companies. A wealthy person makes more money and it goes back into money production. Middle and lower income class folks tend to spend extra money and enrich all. Too bad that the "powers" do not understand that.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #344207 by KENT MELTON

Joves wrote: Well I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot more of this in the next few years. Oh wait the economy is improving globally so I might be wrong. The real problem here is that people do not have the extra money for much of what they would have blown their extra cash on, now people are saving, or have no extra cash. While much of the global marketers claim that the US is not really the driver in the new economic paradigm, the truth is that it actually is, or more the US common citizen. Many of these emerging markets are ones where their populations do not have our habit of buying things they do not need. Until their cultures change the US market will be the real driver for the globalist markets. They got started, and depend on us being frivolous with our spending. This is really a wake up to them that they need to provide the good paying work here to survive. I am all about capitalism, but true capitalism where everyone prospers as things are good. Things have become out of whack with heavy swings of the pendulum, for a while labor here held an advantage, now it is the chiefs of the industries that do with a big but. And that but is that they need to have buyers, which means they have to hire, and pay people enough to support their businesses. Rant off.

:agree:   Good points

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #344339 by Scott Klubeck
That has got to hurt!

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #344781 by ShutterPal
They will be fine, they have lots of money

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #345137 by TedReichner
Oh that is a shame 

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #345195 by Overread
I find this very surprising, you would not expect this!

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #345351 by Happy Snapper
Thats one the share holders will feel 

Gripped Nikon D810 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #346075 by Stealthy Ninja

Joves wrote: Well I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot more of this in the next few years. Oh wait the economy is improving globally so I might be wrong. The real problem here is that people do not have the extra money for much of what they would have blown their extra cash on, now people are saving, or have no extra cash. While much of the global marketers claim that the US is not really the driver in the new economic paradigm, the truth is that it actually is, or more the US common citizen. Many of these emerging markets are ones where their populations do not have our habit of buying things they do not need. Until their cultures change the US market will be the real driver for the globalist markets. They got started, and depend on us being frivolous with our spending. This is really a wake up to them that they need to provide the good paying work here to survive. I am all about capitalism, but true capitalism where everyone prospers as things are good. Things have become out of whack with heavy swings of the pendulum, for a while labor here held an advantage, now it is the chiefs of the industries that do with a big but. And that but is that they need to have buyers, which means they have to hire, and pay people enough to support their businesses. Rant off.

I'm just going to assume you've never  experienced a rich mainland Chinese on a buying spree. 

The rich spend a lot on stuff they don't need (especially the those from emerging markets). Leica and Ferrari depend on this. 
10 years 3 months ago #346077 by Stealthy Ninja

ShutterPal wrote: They will be fine, they have lots of money

:kmonst:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024