First photo of Earth from Mars

10 years 3 months ago #344383 by JHoward
The whole Mars Curiosity program I find super fascinating.  It's amazing to think that we are 99 million miles from Mars and you get this sort of photo transmitted so far.  

www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2014-039

Canon 7D & 1D MK III, Canon 10-22mm, 16-35mm f2.8L II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 300mm f2.8L IS, 200mm f2L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.
10 years 3 months ago #344411 by garyrhook
Dang it! I had my eyes closed.  :pinch:

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #344475 by Tim Dordeck
That's just nuts when you think about how our stars look in the sky and there's our Earth.  How long did it take  NASA to get to Mars?

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #344487 by hghlndr6
According to NASA ...

Q: How long will it take to get to Mars?
 Answer:
It depends on how you go, what kind of rocket is used and what technologies are available. With current technology, our robotic missions usually take about 8 months to travel to Mars. We are exploring options that will minimize the duration of a human trip to Mars.[/i]

www.nasa.gov/offices/marsplanning/faqs/
10 years 3 months ago #344493 by Tim Dordeck

hghlndr6 wrote: According to NASA ...

Answer:
It depends on how you go, what kind of rocket is used and what technologies are available. With current technology, our robotic missions usually take about 8 months to travel to Mars. We are exploring options that will minimize the duration of a human trip to Mars.[/i]

Thanks for sharing this, pretty remarkable stuff if you ask me.  Trying to figure if I would ever want to go if asked.

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #344553 by StephanieW
Wow, only 8 months? That's not as long as I was expecting it to be. I'm literally not a rocket scientist or... a scientist of any sort actually. But I had expected it'd be a lot longer. At that speed I feel like human travel to mars could be right around the corner. If anyone were still interested in space exploration anymore, that is. Not quite as popular as it used to be. Not judging. People are interested in different things and it's hella expensive, but I very much am still interested in exploring space :)

10 years 3 months ago #344615 by Jessa Layton
How is it they can transmit a good photo 99 million miles, but the camera to computer wirelsss transfers we have are so limited

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #344693 by Tuscan Muse
Technology today is incredible.  Good post.
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #344823 by hghlndr6

Tim Dordeck wrote:

hghlndr6 wrote: According to NASA ...

Answer:

Thanks for sharing this, pretty remarkable stuff if you ask me.  Trying to figure if I would ever want to go if asked.

A whole lot of people figured it's a good idea ... for a one-way trip.  Mars One closed it's applications last August.
www.mars-one.com
10 years 3 months ago #344827 by Scott Klubeck
amazing!

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #344863 by Jennifer Krueger
That is pretty amazing when you think about the distance that is from us.  

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #345155 by JD Imagery
Where are the other stars?

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #345613 by Exposure Tours
Craz
10 years 3 months ago #345631 by Jessa Layton
Space the final frontier!  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024