Children portraits, do you charge different from adult portraits?

10 years 2 months ago #348237 by Stacy Craig
I have been charging about 10% more for children portraits because there is more time that goes into getting them lined up perfectly, keeping their attention, etc.  I have had a couple parents ask me why I need to charge more for the kids.  I thought all portrait photographers would be doing this? 

Do you charge more for your portraits with kids?  If so, what is your percentage over?

Thank you

Stacy

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #348273 by StephanieW
I've worked for three different portrait companies and none of them charged more for kids. Two of them were geared towards kids (school and sports photos), so excluding that I only worked for one that had a diverse range of clients. Your reasoning absolutely makes sense, though. It's not exactly a bad business model because when we got kids they DID take extra time (and would sometimes walk off with our props, too). So it does make sense. On the flip side, I could see myself being offended as a parent because their perfect angel is so well behaved they shouldn't have to be charged more. *sigh* So I guess it depends on if it's worth potentially offending some parents or not.

10 years 2 months ago #348391 by garyrhook
Absolutely not.  I charge for my time.  If I get fewer shots during a session, then that's what I get.

Honestly, though, I think if you work with them in an age-appropriate way, giving them some latitude, they're more fun than adults, and can result in more interesting photos.

The only surcharge I've ever heard of is for large groups. That complicates things greatly.

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #348413 by Stacy Craig
Thanks for the open advise, these days I need to time manage more because I'm getting more business and kids do take longer.  I always want to make sure I get that smile, let's face it, getting kids to smile is a job by itself!  What was super challenging was a job I did last month where I had to photograph a family of 6, and 3 were kids under 5.  If that wasn't a challenge by itself, they had 2 dogs that they wanted part of the portrait.  I spent so much time on this job, getting everyone smiling and looking at the camera was tough!

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #348459 by Studio Queen
I do only if they run over 15 minutes longer than scheduled time.  With kids, this happens often as they are tough to get that right smile, eyes where you want them and when they start crying, you need time for their eyes to clear.  

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #348807 by ShadowWalker
I don't charge if under 30 minutes past.  I think I have a rather larger than normal grace period, but after the 30 minutes, I charge at increments of 30 minutes. 

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #348915 by Stacy Craig
Thank you for posting your views.  I just signed up here a couple days ago and so happy I found this place. My husband is disappointed now I because I spending to much time on this site now.  :whistle:

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #348933 by garyrhook

Stacy Craig wrote: Thank you for posting your views.  I just signed up here a couple days ago and so happy I found this place. My husband is disappointed now I because I spending to much time on this site now.  :whistle:

Yes, well, call it "business development."

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #349379 by StephanieW

Stacy Craig wrote: Thank you for posting your views.  I just signed up here a couple days ago and so happy I found this place. My husband is disappointed now I because I spending to much time on this site now.  :whistle:

Haha, I'm glad you're enjoying it here.  Lots of great advice to go around here.  I've learned a lot :)

10 years 2 months ago #349443 by Stealthy Ninja
When we do portraits I'm usually in charge of getting the kid to smile/laugh. I have 3 kids and my business partner has none. He just can't do it :lol:
10 years 2 months ago #349653 by I shoot RAW
I do think having experience with kids will make a huge difference in getting them smiling, plus the patience needed to work with them.  Personally I don't charge anything different, if we go over the paid for time, I charge for more.  Doesn't matter whether kid or adult.  

Wasn't me :)
Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #350479 by Stacy Craig

I shoot RAW wrote: I do think having experience with kids will make a huge difference in getting them smiling, plus the patience needed to work with them.  Personally I don't charge anything different, if we go over the paid for time, I charge for more.  Doesn't matter whether kid or adult.  

Again, thank you all for your input, very helpful!  I do agree, having experience with kids makes a huge difference.  I can't imagine being someone who isn't good with kids trying to get their smiles!

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #350701 by StephanieW
I used to not be good with kids and then I had to take pictures of 300+ kids in a day for a school photography job and I got really good at making them sit up, look at the camera, and smile in 30 seconds. Speed was the key with these things, but I got a lot of cute shots in a very short time. Super valuable skill.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024