Expensive gear vs Talent

9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #386447 by garyrhook

IzzieK wrote: Can't I have a typo around here? Sorry English is not my first language.:(

Yes, you are allowed a typo. Your language skills are much better than some that post here.

At least you didn't add an unnecessary apostrophe for the plural.

Is it now open season for the grammar nazis?

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: IzzieK
9 years 10 months ago #386494 by william_cpa

garyrhook wrote:

IzzieK wrote: Can't I have a typo around here? Sorry English is not my first language.:(

Yes, you are allowed a typo. Your language skills are much better than some that post here.

100% with Gary.
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #386872 by Stealthy Ninja

IzzieK wrote: Can't I have a typo around here? Sorry English is not my first language.

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

IzzieK wrote: If I can have the money to spend for expensive gears...

"gear" in this case is a collective noun and has no "s" on the end:

Expensive Gears:

Expensive (photography) gear:

I kind of knew English wasn’t your first language when I saw your “typo”.  That’s why I gave this English lesson to you.  Don’t want to improve?  We all make mistakes... and I've seen this mistake said and made by many non-native English speakers.  I live in Hong Kong after all.  It's a pet peeve of mine.

Sorry for any offense caused to you or others.  Just trying to improve everyone's English.  Didn't know I was being a "grammar nazi".
9 years 10 months ago #386873 by Stealthy Ninja

william_cpa wrote:

garyrhook wrote:

100% with Gary.

What if I said this:

Use crop cam make focal length of lense change.

Feel better now?  You can go to town correcting all my mistakes. :thumbsup:
9 years 10 months ago #386884 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

IzzieK wrote: If I can have the money to spend for expensive gears...

Expensive Gears:

Expensive (photography) gear:

Of course you can make typos.  I butcher the english language like it's going out of style.  Some of us just like to have fun with each other.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #386885 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

ubookoo wrote: I have had an opportunity to work with some amazing photographers and they all have one thing in common...a natural talent to view the image in their mind before they shoot it. Or what most people like to call an "eye" for photography. One of the greatest photographers I worked with did not understand aperture or F stop. But she created some of the most beautiful images by using natural like and placement of her subjects. Her average sale is in the $5000 to $10,000 range. She could use a pinhole camera and create awesome shots!

Who?

I  mean there's some popular photographers out there who aren't very good, they're just popular.  I'd love to see this woman's work so I can judge for myself. :)

There is too many spaces between "I" and "mean". 

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #386886 by Stealthy Ninja
That video would be better if it went for NINE minutes.

9 years 10 months ago #386934 by IzzieK
I was asking if typo is not allowed here...I did not say you are being a grammar nazi. Please do not make my statement into another topic...it is just as hard to express emotions here via type. It is OK to be corrected. I do not mind. I find it hard to express myself sometimes and many times that I joke around, it wasn't accepted too. I like your big logo though...:blink:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

IzzieK wrote: Can't I have a typo around here? Sorry English is not my first language.

[/quote]

I kind of knew English wasn’t your first language when I saw your “typo”.  That’s why I gave this English lesson to you.  Don’t want to improve?  We all make mistakes... and I've seen this mistake said and made by many non-native English speakers.  I live in Hong Kong after all.  It's a pet peeve of mine.

Sorry for any offense caused to you or others.  Just trying to improve everyone's English.  Didn't know I was being a "grammar nazi".[/quote]

9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #386938 by Stealthy Ninja

IzzieK wrote: I was asking if typo is not allowed here...I did not say you are being a grammar nazi. Please do not make my statement into another topic...it is just as hard to express emotions here via type. It is OK to be corrected. I do not mind. I find it hard to express myself sometimes and many times that I joke around, it wasn't accepted too. I like your big logo though...:blink:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Sorry for any offense caused to you or others.  Just trying to improve everyone's English.  Didn't know I was being a "grammar nazi".

Nah man, it was Gary who suggested I was being a grammar nazi. It's all cool. :thumbsup:

(Just realised by reading your comments on another thread that you're a woman, not a man.  Now I'm officially sexist too?! :pinch:  )  :rofl:
The following user(s) said Thank You: IzzieK
9 years 10 months ago #386952 by william_cpa

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Of course you can make typos.  I butcher the english language like it's going out of style.  Some of us just like to have fun with each other.

Would you take a look at that. The student has demonstrated a better understanding than the professor of how to, correctly, spell the word "English" :toocrazy:
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #386958 by garyrhook

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Nah man, it was Gary who suggested I was being a grammar nazi.

Actually, I was asking a question, mostly about myself. I understand the inference, but that was not my intention.

Frankly, I would have a field day being a grammar nazi, but, you know. sleeping dogs and all that.

The student has demonstrated a better understanding than the professor of how to, correctly, spell the word "English"

Good catch. ;)  I was going to let that one go.

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #387020 by Scotty

william_cpa wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Of course you can make typos.  I butcher the english language like it's going out of style.  Some of us just like to have fun with each other.

Would you take a look at that. The student has demonstrated a better understanding than the professor of how to, correctly, spell the word "English" :toocrazy:

oooo that's gotta burn.

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #387161 by Stealthy Ninja

william_cpa wrote:

9 years 10 months ago #387165 by Stealthy Ninja
Better post this just in case Scotty Ninja edits.
9 years 10 months ago #387347 by photobod
I love this site it is entertaining, I am English and I speak it badly and write it badly, anyone care to correct this sentence ???.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024