how to fix lens focus problem , 35mm 1.8g nikon

10 years 1 month ago #373192 by fonakz
I just notice that my focusing is in front focus, everytime i used the 35mm lens , before I get the right focus , I need to turn the ring dial counter clockwise after the camera automatically focus the subject.

Is there any way I can fix this ?

My camera body is D5100 nikon.
(I don't have any focus problem if I used other lens with the same camera body)

I seen in youtube for high-end camera , they can calibrate it from the camera body.

thanks guys

10 years 1 month ago #373202 by garyrhook
The D5100 does not have microadjustment capability. It takes a D7000 or so for that.

You'll have to get the lens adjusted by Nikon.

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #373278 by fonakz
ok gary , thanks for the reply , 

I'd better try it in D7000 camera first , and decide.

thanks again

10 years 1 month ago #373282 by Joves
How are you testing the lens to tell if it is front focusing? I do not doubt that a lens can be off enough, but you need to test the lens with the proper method. Which would be setting a printed scale at a 45°, and centering it on the zero mark. You also need to have it mounted on a tripod with it centered up on the target. For an accurate reading. Also do not only shoot wide open because of the narrower depth of field, you need to use the lenses sweet spot as well. If it is off in the sweet area then it is defective focus wise. 

10 years 1 month ago #373455 by fonakz
I tried it in a basic ruler , a camera on a tripod I tried the f1.8 , 2.8 and 8 , most of the shots are in front focus. and I tried the 18 - 55 mm standard lens and it's doing well.

If it's defective focus wise, can I repair it by myself or send it service ?

thanks

10 years 1 month ago #373539 by garyrhook

fonakz wrote: If it's defective focus wise, can I repair it by myself or send it service ?

Granted it's not an expensive lens, but isn't it under warranty? It is quite unlikely that you can do anything to rectify this problem.  If the lens is new enough, take it back to where you bought it. A reputable dealer will work with you.

Photo Comments
10 years 4 weeks ago #375665 by Alan Nunez
I have a Lens Align for checking my lenses. It is a bit time time consuming having to do this test with each lens on both of my bodies:

michaeltapesdesign.com/lensalign.html

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon R8 is a budget-friendly full frame camera with high-end photo and video features. In other words, there are plenty of reasons to upgrade to an R8!

Jun 14, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

Wedding photography trends come and go, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t exciting at the moment! This year’s top trends include old and new technologies and techniques to create lasting memories.

Jun 09, 2024

The Sony ZV-1 Mark II is a nice update to the ZV-1 and expands Sony’s lineup of cameras for vlogging and content creation. Is it the right camera for you, though? Let’s find out!

Jun 09, 2024

Having a solid client management system allows you to build a more sustainable business with a larger number of repeat clients. But how do you do that? Let’s find out!

Jun 05, 2024

Canyon photography is an interesting niche of landscape photography that has some distinct challenges like harsh light and shadows. But with the right preparation, you can capture epic shots!

Jun 04, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

The process is actually quite straightforward if you want to print from iPhone. But, if you need a little guidance, this guide is what you need! Dive in and learn how to print smartphone photos!

Jun 04, 2024