My thoughts on off brand DSLR batteries

10 years 9 hours ago #373639 by Ruby Grace
Save your money, well technically not saving.  The Canon batteries cost more, but they last longer.  I have had 2 non Canon batteries in the last few years and both of them are dead.  My original Canon batteries are still going strong and out lived the off brand ones. 

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
10 years 29 minutes ago #373711 by Photo Mojo
I have some off brands and have no problems with them.  Where did you buy these? 

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #373739 by Tony Imaging
I have both and honestly, don't see any difference between them yet.  {knock on wood}

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #373815 by effron
When I had my D300 and D700, I bought a couple knock off batteries and put them into the rotation. Out of the six batteries I was using, the first two to die were the non Nikon branded units, and they were the newest. Believe it if you will or continue wasting money on cheap batteries. (btw, the knock offs wouldn't even work in the D300, so the third party batteries actually were used less than the Nikons)....
That's extensive testing, no?;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #373970 by Garbo
You will never find a knock off battery in my bag.  Been there and done that!  Not worth the money considering how much quicker they die vs brand name batteries.

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #373979 by hghlndr6
hmm ... I've been running Wasabi En-EL15 replacement in rotation with Nikon for about 1-1/2 years and have yet to see any difference.
9 years 11 months ago #373993 by Richard Taylor
I was told to stick with name brands

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #374061 by Tim Chiang
I use just Canon batteries, who knows, they are all most likely made by the same company!  lol 

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #374310 by Mike Ayrouth
Stick with the same brand of your camera

Getting BETTER one photo at a time!
Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #374323 by Alan Nunez
Over the years I have found that only quality accessories have lived up to my expectations. There are plenty of aftermarket add-on's for cameras...Flash, Cards, Straps, Camera bags!! However I choose to pay a little more and get the best if possible. Batteries are something that I only buy quality and made by the manufacturer of the Camera.

9 years 11 months ago #374330 by Screamin Scott
The problem with your post is that camera makers don't make their own batteries.... Much of the materials in their cameras are subcontracted out to other vendors. Same for car parts et al.... Thus the OEM" batteries are likely made by some of those "aftermarket" battery vendors & simply have slight differences (such as color or a minor feature) to differentiate them from the OEM branded lines... I've used aftermarket batteries for years without any issues. That's not to say you can't get a "lemon", but you can get OEM's that are lemons too...

Alan Nunez wrote: Over the years I have found that only quality accessories have lived up to my expectations. There are plenty of aftermarket add-on's for cameras...Flash, Cards, Straps, Camera bags!! However I choose to pay a little more and get the best if possible. Batteries are something that I only buy quality and made by the manufacturer of the Camera.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #374358 by garyrhook

Screamin Scott wrote: The problem with your post is that camera makers don't make their own batteries.... Much of the materials in their cameras are subcontracted out to other vendors. Same for car parts et al.... Thus the OEM" batteries are likely made by some of those "aftermarket" battery vendors & simply have slight differences (such as color or a minor feature) to differentiate them from the OEM branded lines... I've used aftermarket batteries for years without any issues. That's not to say you can't get a "lemon", but you can get OEM's that are lemons too...

Alan Nunez wrote: Over the years I have found that only quality accessories have lived up to my expectations. There are plenty of aftermarket add-on's for cameras...Flash, Cards, Straps, Camera bags!! However I choose to pay a little more and get the best if possible. Batteries are something that I only buy quality and made by the manufacturer of the Camera.

One significant difference is that reputable manufacturers, when subcontracting parts, will usually have exacting standards. Those specs may not be available to 3rd party vendors; rather, they may reverse engineer something based on the end product. That doesn't mean they will get the details right. For example, a non-OEM battery may not have the voltage stability, current longevity, exact physical dimension that it should.

Applie iPhone cables are another good example of crummy 3rd-party products.

I prefer OEM original equipment most of the time.

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #374362 by Screamin Scott
To each their own... While some products are reverse engineered (3rd party lenses comes to mind), the subcontractor who makes the battery for the OEM can manufacture,  market & sell the battery under their own & other names. As long as there is some difference from the OEM product, it's entirely legal. As for the specs, the subcontractor has the specs they need to do so as they were supplied to them by the OEM when the orders were placed.... I doubt that the aftermarket batteries would be offered for sale by the likes of B&H or Adorama, among others, if there were serious issues with them ...

garyrhook wrote:

Screamin Scott wrote: The problem with your post is that camera makers don't make their own batteries.... Much of the materials in their cameras are subcontracted out to other vendors. Same for car parts et al.... Thus the OEM" batteries are likely made by some of those "aftermarket" battery vendors & simply have slight differences (such as color or a minor feature) to differentiate them from the OEM branded lines... I've used aftermarket batteries for years without any issues. That's not to say you can't get a "lemon", but you can get OEM's that are lemons too...

One significant difference is that reputable manufacturers, when subcontracting parts, will usually have exacting standards. Those specs may not be available to 3rd party vendors; rather, they may reverse engineer something based on the end product. That doesn't mean they will get the details right. For example, a non-OEM battery may not have the voltage stability, current longevity, exact physical dimension that it should.

Applie iPhone cables are another good example of crummy 3rd-party products.

I prefer OEM original equipment most of the time.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #374366 by Joves
While yes Scott what you say may be true. When the third party manufacturer does some of the work in the production, they are held to a higher standard when doing so for the OEM. When they do so under for another entity, or branch of their own company they may let it slide on the QC side of the equation. And many times they are dumping units that work, but were not up to snuff to try and recoup their money. Just look at the filter side of it. Hoya, B+W, and others manufacture for names such as Pro Master, and others, and it is their rejects many times that go to the cheap side of the market. So it goes with the batteries.

Now as for me using third party batteries, like others, I have been there, done that, and will not go there again. When I had my CP995 I tried one, and found that it never lasted as long charge wise as the OEM. It never died, but I only used it when my other battery was drained, and until I could recharge it. For my Dslrs I never even bothered after that.

9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #377157 by Simon Says
Thanks for information

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024