Photographing from inside hot air ballon

10 years 1 month ago #375409 by Frost Photography
My wife and I are heading down to San Diego this weekend to take a ride in hot air balloon.  I was told I could bring no bags with me.  So it's just what I can hand hold (and tether to me!).  So if you could only bring camera and one lens?  What lens would you bring with you?

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #375414 by Alan Nunez
Hhhmm. I don't have a really nice compact or 4/3 body so for me it would be D3 + 24-70mm

10 years 1 month ago #375416 by Frost Photography
That's what I was thinking either a 24-70mm or 70-200mm :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #375440 by Vahrenkamp
:agree:     24-70mm or something like a Sigma 50-500mm if you have it  

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #375448 by Ottis
Did you read about the story of the lens that fell from the sky in Northern California?   sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2011/09/15/cam...of-of-petaluma-home/

Make sure you hold on your gear tight!   

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #375481 by garyrhook
Take a body and a 24-70. You won't be doing any closeups from up in the air. These are from the ground.

img\def

img\def

Technically, you'll be in the gondola. This is what the inside of an envelope looks like.

img\def

Photo Comments
10 years 4 weeks ago #375541 by Tim Dordeck
I like that first shot of yours Gary.  Good advice too, 24-70mm.  

Photo Comments
10 years 4 weeks ago #375564 by Joves
Do you have a pouch for the 70-200 that will mount on your belt? I would take both myself, but have the 24-70 mounted, that way if you see something you want to zoom in on, then you have it. You would be using the wider glass more if not through the whole ride, but having the other on your belt would not hurt. Just turn into the gondola when changing lenses. We would not want to hear another lens from the sky story.  :lol:

10 years 4 weeks ago #375591 by garyrhook

Tim Dordeck wrote: I like that first shot of yours Gary.  Good advice too, 24-70mm.  

Thank you; Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta last October. Heading back again this year.

I think Joves makes the most sense if you want 2 lenses with you. If only one, I'll stick with the shorter tele.

Photo Comments
10 years 4 weeks ago #375682 by Jim Photo

Tim Dordeck wrote: I like that first shot of yours Gary.  Good advice too, 24-70mm.  

My thoughts as well, the first shot is simple yet, well composed and great colors!

Photo Comments
10 years 4 weeks ago #375724 by Alex

garyrhook wrote:

Thank you; Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta last October. Heading back again this year.

I think Joves makes the most sense if you want 2 lenses with you. If only one, I'll stick with the shorter tele.

Amazing shot Gary, it's been a number of years since I have been to a hot air ballon festival!  Can't wait to see the photos from this year!  

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
10 years 4 weeks ago #375790 by Stealthy Ninja
Honestly, I'd go something like 24-105 for this sort of thing, since i'd be stopping down to f8 anyway no doubt.
10 years 4 weeks ago #375811 by Rawley Photos
I would go with the 18-200mm, I have this lens and it's a great lens!

Photo Comments
10 years 4 weeks ago #375908 by Frost Photography
 Hey thanks everyone.  Sorry to say, the trip didn't happen.  We had sushi on Friday night and I woke up in middle night and was in bad shape.  Food poisoning! :sick:   I'm now just starting to feel better.  What a rough weekend, and happy not to be in the balloon basket when this hit!  We are going to try to go in 2 weeks. 

Photo Comments
10 years 4 weeks ago #375915 by Joves

Frost Photography wrote:  Hey thanks everyone.  Sorry to say, the trip didn't happen.  We had sushi on Friday night and I woke up in middle night and was in bad shape.  Food poisoning! :sick:   I'm now just starting to feel better.  What a rough weekend, and happy not to be in the balloon basket when this hit!  We are going to try to go in 2 weeks. 

:rofl:
I do not thin it is funny, but yeah and I bet any people who would have been below you are glad that you did not go, and have it happen either. I am sorry to hear that you got sick, and missed it though. Hope you get back to 100% quickly.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon R8 is a budget-friendly full frame camera with high-end photo and video features. In other words, there are plenty of reasons to upgrade to an R8!

Jun 14, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

Wedding photography trends come and go, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t exciting at the moment! This year’s top trends include old and new technologies and techniques to create lasting memories.

Jun 09, 2024

The Sony ZV-1 Mark II is a nice update to the ZV-1 and expands Sony’s lineup of cameras for vlogging and content creation. Is it the right camera for you, though? Let’s find out!

Jun 09, 2024

Having a solid client management system allows you to build a more sustainable business with a larger number of repeat clients. But how do you do that? Let’s find out!

Jun 05, 2024

Canyon photography is an interesting niche of landscape photography that has some distinct challenges like harsh light and shadows. But with the right preparation, you can capture epic shots!

Jun 04, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

The process is actually quite straightforward if you want to print from iPhone. But, if you need a little guidance, this guide is what you need! Dive in and learn how to print smartphone photos!

Jun 04, 2024