How to carry camera gear on kayak camping adventure?

9 years 11 months ago #377378 by Dan Spade
In 3 weeks we are going on a white water camping adventure.  I want to bring my camera gear, but obvious want to make sure it's going to be 100% dry.   Getting wet is a given, possibly even getting completely submerged is a probability.  How would you protect your camera gear for a trip like this?   

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #377382 by Alan Nunez
about 15 years ago I had an 100% water proof camera bag that had on inflatable outer skin. I can not remember where I got it form but it would be perfect. I will hunt around and see if I can find it ad get you a brand name. Your other options would be an underwater housing or a pelican case (or similar)

9 years 11 months ago #377387 by Dan Spade
I was looking at hard cases and see there are a few brands that claim 100% water proof.  I'm hoping that there are some soft bag options.  Please post that link if you find it.  Thank you

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #377430 by Ottis
Large Ziplock freezer bags and place in side your normal photography back pack 

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #377436 by effron

Ottis wrote: Large Ziplock freezer bags and place in side your normal photography back pack 

This is as good of advice as you'll get. Short of buying a waterproof point and shoot for the trip, which is what I'd do in lieu of taking my D800 and any expensive lens. Water isn't the only danger in a fast moving river full of immovable rocks......;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #377468 by Crazyguy

An Irishman is not drunk as long as he can hold on to one blade of grass to keep from falling off the world.
Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #377516 by Jim Photo

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #377545 by Vahrenkamp
:agree: Freezer ziplock will be the cheapest best.  These are pretty durable bags.  

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #377613 by Dan Spade
That's exactly what I was after, ordering.  Thanks!

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #377628 by EOS_Fan
OMG that sounds fun.   On a trip like this I would only bring just camera body and one lens, just to play it safe.  Have fun!

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #377699 by Don Fischer

Vahrenkamp wrote: :agree: Freezer ziplock will be the cheapest best.  These are pretty durable bags.  

Let me get this straight. You'd trust a fifteen cent plastic bag to protect your $3000 camera on a trip on a small tippy boat in white water? i wouldn't get in the boat in the first place!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024