Any part time photographers making a decent living from selling their photos?

9 years 10 months ago #380328 by Jeffrey Russo
Eh, why not.  Might as well ask one more question before I mow the lawn today.  Besides I just signed up here today and taking full advantage of being new.  So I'm going to hang out all my laundry!  I'm a part time photographer and have often wondered about selling photos, but then I don't do anything because I start thinking about how competitive it must be.  

So, does anyone who is a casual photographer make any decent cash, even on a part time here and there basis?  

9 years 10 months ago #380448 by garyrhook
Define "decent"?

I have a day job; my near-term goal is to pay for my toys. Toward that end, I set up my business about 1.5 years ago. I've had some sales, but mostly it's still about improving my skills (in all areas) and building a body of work. For now, since I am legit, it gives me a small write-off on my taxes. So I am still in the red, but optimistic as I learn about running a business like this.

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #380450 by Howard T
I'm keeping this as a hobby for now.  Someday it would be nice to make a few bucks from my photography, but realistically that's not going to be for some time.  I just picked up my first camera last year. 

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #380716 by Jeffrey Russo
Well I should have clarified better.  I was just wondering if anyone here made a living from selling their photos.  

9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #380718 by garyrhook
Forgive my confusion. First you wrote:

So, does anyone who is a casual photographer make any decent cash, even on a part time here and there basis?  

and then you wrote: 

Well I should have clarified better.  I was just wondering if anyone here made a living from selling their photos.

Those are two different questions. It's also unclear what kind of photography you are referring to: portraiture, weddings, senior, food, sports, ?

There are a few full time photographers that make their presence known on this forum, but they don't post much.

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #380733 by Hassner
I presume you are talking of selling photos in frames or to be framed as art or decoration.
You will have to do a lot of market research. There is a big move away from photography
because digital flooded the market. Image libraries are going bankrupt, the surviving ones
offer a percentage of photos for free to stay competitive.

I do know the people that buy images buy it with their hart. Places they have been, things they did...
I can not sell photos of America or Europe here in Africa.

Maybe start with canvas prints of local scenes at your art/craft/general market.
Go big. A1, A0 or even bigger. Then have a few at A3 and A4 for the man on a budget.
Have a portfolio with you for print orders.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #382850 by P2CDude
Jeffrey, the reality is that no, you cannot make a decent living off of anything as a part time participant. Photography is just like any other business, any other means to an end. You have to work at it, and these days you have to work HARD at it.

For every photographer that you hear about that just sold 100K worth of images from their instagram feed, the reality is that it took a massive investment of time and creativity to create that demand.

There are millions of part time photographers, and I would guesstimate that there just aren't many outside of a very lucky few with mad skills that are making anything near a decent living off of a part time effort.

While Alive...Live....If you Love It...Print it!
9 years 10 months ago #382910 by Don Fischer

Hassner wrote: I presume you are talking of selling photos in frames or to be framed as art or decoration.
You will have to do a lot of market research. There is a big move away from photography
because digital flooded the market. Image libraries are going bankrupt, the surviving ones
offer a percentage of photos for free to stay competitive.

I do know the people that buy images buy it with their hart. Places they have been, things they did...
I can not sell photos of America or Europe here in Africa.

Maybe start with canvas prints of local scenes at your art/craft/general market.
Go big. A1, A0 or even bigger. Then have a few at A3 and A4 for the man on a budget.
Have a portfolio with you for print orders.

That's interesting about not selling photo's of Europe or the US in Africa. I'd read that quite a number of years ago.  I think there may be one exception though and that's selling photo's from Africa, animals, in other part's of the world. 

Question if I can? What's an A3 and A4? I see those sizes on my printer program and have never been able to find out what it means!

9 years 10 months ago #382921 by Joves
Don A3/4 is the ISO designation for paper size is all, for height&width. The difference is slight from the US standard, but just enough to use that setting for those sizes.
Now back to the subject. No I am not making any money off of my photography. I should work on my site to do so, but am not very motivated to do so. It is not high on my to do list. Just maybe one of these days when I am house bound because of weather I may get motivated to do it, but for now by the time I am done with my day, it is not there.

9 years 10 months ago #382922 by Don Fischer
Thank you joves!

9 years 10 months ago #382983 by Stealthy Ninja
I am paid enough to keep my in photography gear.

But I also have a full time job for other things... I'm just free to take a day off whenever I like for my business stuff.
9 years 10 months ago #383589 by Jeffrey Russo
I'm seeing all the new comments and wanted to thank you all for leaving your 2 cents :thx2:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024