Cruise ship photographers

9 years 10 months ago #384705 by Ruben H
Are these guys employees of the cruise ships or freelance photographers?  

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #384731 by effron
Probably contract photographers. You couldn't drag me onto one of those cruise ships.....:angry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #384744 by Alan Nunez
I did 5 years working on cruise ships in the South Pacific....massive party ships. Depending on the cruise line they are either employed by the cruise company or they contract a supplier to provide the photos. It can be fun if you are young. You get to travel to some very cool places. The photographic work is quite repetitive but you get plenty of time off to explore the ports and there some amazing things to see and photograph.

9 years 10 months ago #384755 by Farestad

effron wrote: Probably contract photographers. You couldn't drag me onto one of those cruise ships.....:angry:

I'm in the same boat as you.  No pun intended! 

EF 50mm f/1.4
EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
EF 100mm f/2
EF 70-200mm f/4
EF 18-55mm
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #384787 by garyrhook
I enjoy cruises, and would encourage any young person that wanted to travel to look into them.

Yes, the work is repetitive, and you don't get do-overs. However, it could be entertaining, a great way to meet people, and give you a chance to see places you might never see.  If I were much younger and unattached I would go for it.

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #384905 by william_cpa

garyrhook wrote: I enjoy cruises, and would encourage any young person that wanted to travel to look into them.

Yes, the work is repetitive, and you don't get do-overs. However, it could be entertaining, a great way to meet people, and give you a chance to see places you might never see.  If I were much younger and unattached I would go for it.

Fully agree. An excellent education and life experience. Don't go for the seasonal changeover transatlantic cruises unless your taste in daily company extends well into the geriatric bracket (not saying there is anything wrong with that, just bringing it up for the sake of full disclosure).
9 years 10 months ago #384913 by Sandy Smith Photos
Oh no, not for me.  With all the accidents and nonsense on cruise ships, I'll stay on land thank you!

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #384971 by Roy Wilson
I would guess these photographers are actual employees.  Kind of like the JC Penny or Walmart photographers 

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #384993 by Randy Shaw
So I wonder what they get paid?

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #385040 by Alan Nunez

william_cpa wrote:

garyrhook wrote: I enjoy cruises, and would encourage any young person that wanted to travel to look into them.

Fully agree. An excellent education and life experience. Don't go for the seasonal changeover transatlantic cruises unless your taste in daily company extends well into the geriatric bracket (not saying there is anything wrong with that, just bringing it up for the sake of full disclosure).

Yeah if you get on something like a world cruise the passengers are old and the night life is pretty bad but the places you get to see are awesome.

If you want fun jump on a ship based out of Sydney Australia! 

9 years 9 months ago #385087 by Howard T
I would bet these photographers are employees.  Not for me, I would be sea sick the entire time.  

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #385168 by Moe

Howard T wrote: I would bet these photographers are employees.  Not for me, I would be sea sick the entire time.  

+1 for me

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #385204 by Stealthy Ninja
I went on a cruise once. The waterskiing was disappointing and frankly dangerous... oh wait, there wasn't any waterskiing... :toocrazy:
9 years 9 months ago #385391 by ubookoo
I checked with one of our employees who used to be a photographer on cruise ships. He was in his 20's and said that he was an IC and mainly relied on tips. However he said he didn't care because the free food, travel, sun, staff relationships and everyday party atmosphere was worth it.

9 years 9 months ago #385425 by JeremyS
Couldnt pay me to do that. I understand the travel portion of it, however personally I've been lucky enough to have travelled to the majority of those places already.

I compare those photographers to the photographers at theme parks, which I was just at, they were shooting with a entry level dslr and a terrible lighting setup.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024