Frame construction for canvas print that is 60" wide 36" tall?

9 years 10 months ago #389394 by Stanly
Are you building this yourself or buying a canvas print and checking to see what it should be built at? 

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #389507 by Meskill
Regardless of who is making it, as Joves pointed out make sure you have no knots in the wood.  I'm talking from experience on this one! :pinch:

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #389658 by Randy Shaw
At what point do you need to start worrying about a large frame bending with even the slightest amount of moisture?

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #389707 by Awediot
The wood a tightly stretched canvas is wrapped on can bow and warp over time in a humid environment before a frame (which often adds strength to the canvas' structure) does... Rule of thumb: hard, quality wood...the wider, the longer it's lifetime... But, unless slated for a museum quality existence, it will 'warp' over decades. - One big factor to consider in such a large frame is how it is hung, and where. Avoid excessive temp changes and humidity...an inside wall is best, and don't hang it with a wire. Use brackets made to support the sides individually and balance out the weight...

If you aren't set on needing real wood, they make beautiful mouldings from composite materials that look exactly like wood, or stone, ceramic, gold, metal etc. that will solve any warping issue.

9 years 10 months ago #389743 by Lisa Brookhurst
Thank you all for your help on this.  Actually I'm buying a number of larger prints for my home and was curious on what the frame should be.  I want to make sure I'm getting what I'm supposed too for prints this size.   

9 years 10 months ago #389843 by ThatNikonGuy
Best rule of thumb is to avoid smaller companies when buying your canvas, those companies are more likely to take shortcuts in build quality.  Just my 2 cents. 

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #389854 by garyrhook
Now that we have more of a context for the question, I'll add my $0.02.

The wood should be of good quality: ash, or maple, perhaps? Something solid. And for that size there probably should be cross-bracing in a triangular shape, to prevent distortion of the frame.

Just a thought.

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #389904 by Lisa Brookhurst
Again, thank you all for help.  One place I was looking at ordering a canvas print was 500px.  But I can't seem to find who is doing the printing and providing the frame?  Would be nice to know who would be printing and their reputation. 

Anyone happen to know this? 

Lisa

9 years 10 months ago #389926 by Vahrenkamp

Lisa Brookhurst wrote: Again, thank you all for help.  One place I was looking at ordering a canvas print was 500px.  But I can't seem to find who is doing the printing and providing the frame?  Would be nice to know who would be printing and their reputation. 

Lisa

Not a clue, perhaps Bay photo? 

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #389954 by Awediot
Google "canvas prints reviews"... A wealth of info to wade through...

9 years 9 months ago #390065 by Connie K Photos

Lisa Brookhurst wrote: Again, thank you all for help.  One place I was looking at ordering a canvas print was 500px.  But I can't seem to find who is doing the printing and providing the frame?  Would be nice to know who would be printing and their reputation. 

Lisa

Canvaspop

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390168 by Crazyguy

Connie K Photos wrote:

Lisa

Canvaspop

Not since 2013

An Irishman is not drunk as long as he can hold on to one blade of grass to keep from falling off the world.
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390246 by Lisa Brookhurst

Crazyguy wrote:

Connie K Photos wrote:

Lisa

Canvaspop

Not since 2013

Yes, I found that out.  Thank you.  I don't know why they don't have it listed on their site.  Seems to me, photographers would want to know who is printing and 500px would want to share this.  I have sent email and still waiting on answer.  :dry:

9 years 9 months ago #390350 by Ottis
That is strange, all I could find was Canvas pop.  Perhaps they are doing their own canvas work now.  

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390925 by Roman Omell
Hmmm, I thought it was Canvas Pops too

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024